Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 08:53   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: More on the recent attack on cruisers in Bocas Del Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
so, you got a couple bad guys out of what total local population?

Gotta be a smaller percentage bad guys than most places I can think of outside Tibet.
Ha ha bad guys in Tibet, this too is subject to change!..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 03:59   #17

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

This attack wouldn't keep me from visiting Bocas again. But those billions of noseeums will! Definitely on my 'no-go' list.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 04:10   #18

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

Canibul wrote "Gotta be a smaller percentage bad guys than most places I can think of outside Tibet." ==> Why would you think that Tibet has a small percentage of 'bad guys'. In Tibet they are known as 'Han Chinese' and they have been seriously oppressing the local Tibetans ever since they invaded and occupied an independent country (back when they were 'Chicoms'). There are now millions of them so the oppression is likely to continue - especially now that the Chinese are our buddies. A few local scumbag criminal thugs is much more preferable than being under Chinese occupation. Of course, there are few good anchorages in Tibet so no cruisers to get involved there.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 07:21   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

This season we sailed from Rio Dulce, Guatemala to Bocas del Toro. We spent a few weeks cruising the Bocas area and really liked it a lot. Never had any security concerns there and this is the only violent attack of a cruising boat I have ever heard of in Bocas. When you consider the number of boats that visit Bocas, over a span of many years, this a low probability event.

Left the boat in Bocas and plan to return in a few months. Looking forward to it, but maybe a bit more cautions at night now.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 08:39   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyosborne1 View Post
There is more than a kernel of truth in some of what you say, but where is it totally safe? A movie theater in Colorado? My youngest son was murdered in a home invasion in San Antonio, Texas three years ago. When I was last in St. Croix you took your life in your hands if you walked from the business district in Christianstead the 1/4 mile around the harbor to the custom docks after dark, and that was 35 years ago. I had a laptop stolen off my boat in a Bocas anchorage 4 years ago and I now have a panic button a few inches from my hand when I'm in bed that sets off an ear shattering alarm.

As far as corruption goes, Bocas and Panama have no exclusive on that, but for the most part that would normally not effect a cruiser.

The reward for the perpetrators of this horrible attack is now up to $2000 and although there is only one of them in custody at this time there is a good chance the other will be apprehended soon. As far as the Panama Guide is concerned, I talked to the publisher, Don Winner, and gave him the heads up on this when it first came down.

It is still a beautiful place with a great community of supportive people both on board the fleet and living ashore.
Why is the only option "totally safe?"

"Nowhere is totally safe, so let's not hear about the more dangerous places" sounds foolish to me.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 10:05   #21
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Okay, okay. I agree. But then I really don't like what the Chinese are doing in a lot of places to begin with.

Let me rephrase that....if there are only two bad guys in Bocas, it must be a smaller percentage than in any other place I know of outside ....

Where is it perfect?? Nothing but good guys? I know of no place better.

do you?
Old 24-07-2012, 10:57   #22

Boat: OEM, proportional

Bocas is statistically safer (for the boatfolk) than Chicago, NY and many other places, even this little backwoods town. But, who wants to be a statistic?

Having the rare priviledge of the freedom of a boat, you are already safer than most of humanity...consider how even the most peaceful neighbourhoods would look 48 hours after the power went out and the gas stations ran dry?

Wherever you are, take realistic precautions and above all, stay alert! Not paranoid, not a loose cannon, not a recluse, not naively optimistic,not apathetic.

This is not a good position to take when there is even one person on the planet that might consider the risk of putting all of you under is worth it for a little loot or a little fun:
Old 24-07-2012, 12:58   #23

The 'problem' is that you stand out like a soar thumb in third world countries... In Chicago, Detroit, not so much IF you know what you're doing... In third world countries you will and do stand out... Your only hope is that there are no REALLY bad guys watching..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 13:08   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

perfect=utopia, it doesnt exist.

best we can get is pair a dice , and folks get hurt in pair a dice , as with everywhere else on planet. but the weather rocks!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote