Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2013, 16:06   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: More Bad News for Caribbean Coral Reefs

If not Photo Shopped then a fire storm.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 16:42   #62

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
If not Photo Shopped then a fire storm.
Its real, made the news here a few months back. I am shore its very rare, a combination of a bush fire and the right wind conditions.

The rest of what MrB has to say makes perfect sense to me, I guess you do have to live here.
Here is the link.
http://www.powerfm.com.au/nowra/inde...h-a-difference
Old 26-01-2013, 16:57   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
If you lived in Australia you would understand it,

Our weird and wacky weather patterns are Boom or Bust,

We go from one extreme to the other, Droughts or Floods,

Explain the bottom piccys, The photographer said they went for about 40 minutes,

On a clear day with blue sky and no wind, It was in the out back of Australia,
No worries mate! Only time to be concerned is when you see this stuff on the water.
Old 26-01-2013, 17:02   #64

Boat: Lagoon 440

There has been times in our past when Atmospheric Co2 has been at levels 20% higher than now.

Co2 alone cannot be blamed as sole cause of Climate change.

Climate change is part of the life on this planet.

Warm times are growth times the world prospers, in cold time life pulls back somewhat.

We have entered a Solar period of inactivity, ie a minimum, it will get cooler, cloud will form heat will reflect out.

Read Professor Ian Plimer's (an Aussie) excellent book heaven+earth a book by a scientist, without a barrow to push.
Old 26-01-2013, 17:31   #65

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

Global warming stopped 16 years ago, reveals Met Office report quietly released... and here is the chart to prove it | Mail Online

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/9787662/Global-warming-at-a-standstill-new-Met-Office-figures-show.html
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 18:00   #66

Bob you are 100% correct 1998 or thereabouts was the end of the last warming we are entering a cooler period now yes there will be spikes BUT the trend is down.

Man cannot be proud of his fossil burning time however we are all guilty of polluting just by enjoying modern life.

Co2 in the atmosphere mmmm i thought Co2 is taken in by plant life etc and converted to the stuff we breathe, oxygen? Without Co2 we would die.

When the Co2 was at a level of 20% higher than today it did not cause a warming, one gas does not cause a change, more relevent to change are the solar radiation levels..

Bob are or were you from Brisbane at any time?
Old 26-01-2013, 22:02   #67

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

L4us: No, not from Brisbane
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 23:59   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Explain the bottom piccys, The photographer said they went for about 40 minutes,
Great photo.
I have seen similar phenomena.
When a farmer lights even a small fire on a day when the atmosphere is unstable it can set up an enormous twisting updraft, raising dust and smoke.

In my gliding days we would look out for these and sometimes divert considerable distances to get to them.
They produced fantastically strong, narrow, rough thermals. I can still hear the screech of the variometer and smell the smoke now.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 10:10   #69

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
Its real, made the news here a few months back. I am shore its very rare, a combination of a bush fire and the right wind conditions.

The rest of what MrB has to say makes perfect sense to me, I guess you do have to live here.
Here is the link.
A Willy-Willy with a difference!
Thanks for that.
Old 27-01-2013, 10:33   #70

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

More on our weird and wacky Australian weather,

The great Barrier Reef is being battered by a Cyclone, The damage done to it, Who knows,
The Queensland coast is being inundated by floods,
Between 250 an 400 mm a day, Thats 8 to 16 inches of rain a day, It usually takes 2 or 3 days before the floods hit, but they have had that much rain the floods have been instant,
Thats over a coast line of 1500 miles,

While 1000 miles further south, We in Victoria are having Bushfires, Luckily the temps are mild, only in the 20's + Celcius, giving the Firies a chance to get on top of the fires and try to put them out,
Between Victoria and Queensland is New South Wales, Which last week was burning with bushfires,
If the remnants of the Cyclone comes far enough south, it will extinguish all the bush fires, Hopefully,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 10:49   #71

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Man cannot survive without producing global warming. When man disappears as a species, global warming will end and we will all live happily ever after.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:10   #72

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Man cannot survive without producing global warming. When man disappears as a species, global warming will end and we will all live happily ever after.
Do I take this to say the we as sailors and cruisers are not man but some form of lower life?
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 11:25   #73
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You can see fire "tornados" in film footage from the ww2 incendiary bombings, in Germany and Japan. Or from more recent fires in California and other places. Once you learn how much wind, how fast, can be generated by a massive fire, the little whirlwinds filled with fire don't seem odd at all. B29 crews literally had to fly through columns of fire over Japan, the burning gasses rose that high.

There is a great deal of geological evidence showing sea levels have been 300 feet lower than they are now in "recent" geological history. There are anthopologists who can't study ancient habitations, because they arewell under water. And there are beachlines and other material showing sea level has been over 100' higher than it is now. All recent, in geological terms. All predictable and expectable. Coral reefs, like barrier islands, are transient phenomena and they're gonna come and go. Folks who built countries on mountaintops in the oceans? Their leases are going to be up, and given a 400-600 foot change in sea levels (from known lows to highs) that's just not a good place to buy real estate for the long term. No amount of banning fossil fuels and spray cans is going to change that in the long term.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 14:25   #74

Neanderthal man never had hair-spray, coal or a Chev (ok maybe a Ford) yet looking at just the last 14,000 years or so we have had many climate changes resulting in sea-level rises.

When not cruising we normally live in Queensland Australia, weather is same there now as it was when i was a kid 40 years ago, only the hype/reporting/doomsayers has become fashionable, but mind you in those days the 'BOOGEYMAN' was nuclear war.....
Old 27-01-2013, 14:33   #75
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Lagoon-
A fast look at the official wx records for Queensland and the first entry on the list shows twice as many rainy days (1970-2000) as it did 100 years ago (1890-1920). So perhaps the weather is unchanged since you were a kid, but without digging into the statistics on the record, just grabbing the topmost one, the weather there too has changed and is changing.
Double the rainfall in four generations, that's certainly a difference.

Of course global warming is not necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on whether you need more or less of what it brings to you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, coral, reefs, caribbean