Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2013, 10:53   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Missing Skipper

I would also recommend setting the SPOT up to call in a lot more frequently than every three days. By the time three days have gone by, there's no useful course information from it. Had a friend crossing Tampa Bay on her little boat once for the first time. She had a SPOT and it pinged every 15 minutes. We were watching her course and the weather on line because a thunderstorm was forming over the bay.

All of a sudden we could see that she must be in the storm, and that she was going in circles. We correctly guessed that she had a jammed headsail. A bigger boat with a more experienced skipper was heading out to get her when we saw her going in a straight line toward St. Petersburg. By then she was free to call us. Her headsail had jammed, but she had towing insurance and called Boat US.

Point is, because of the frequent updates, the rescue boat from her friends that was going to go out knew exactly where to go look for her.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 11:04   #17
Eternal Member

Globalstar update.

While it is true that Globalstar had serious problems with its constellation of satellites, this is now ancient history.

In February 2013 Globalstar completed the launching of all it's second-generation "hardened" satellites. Many of these are online now, and service has been improving for several months. They expect to have all the satellites up and online within a few months.

Globalstar coverage is not worldwide, but it covers much of the world where cruisers sail. The Globalstar network provides better voice quality than Iridium, and data services nearly 4 times faster. Service costs are often much lower than those of competitors. For some sailors, this is a good choice.

FWIW, here's the official Globalstar announcement:

Globalstar Constellation Update

On February 6th, 2013, Globalstar successfully completed launching its constellation of second generation satellites. The first two satellites from this recent launch were raised and placed into service in early March. Globalstar expects to place the final second-generation satellites into commercial service over the next few months as planned. Customers will continue to see improvements in network performance over the coming months as these remaining satellites are placed into service.

These new satellites are designed to last for 15 years, twice the lifespan of Globalstar's first-generation satellites. The Globalstar second-generation satellite constellation will support the Company's current lineup of voice, duplex and simplex data products and services, including its SPOT-branded consumer products which have initiated over 2,200 rescues in over 70 countries and at sea since the initial introduction in 2007. Globalstar has always been known for its crystal clear, "land-line quality" voice service, ease of use and customer value, and Globalstar will continue to provide these end-user benefits.

Unquote

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 11:13   #18

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
While it is true that Globalstar had serious problems with its constellation of satellites, this is now ancient history.
...or will be history in a few months once all the satellites are in orbit and on line.
Old 22-04-2013, 11:17   #19

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Globalstar update.

In February 2013 Globalstar completed the launching of all it's second-generation "hardened" satellites. Many of these are online now, and service has been improving for several months. They expect to have all the satellites up and online within a few months.

Globalstar coverage is not worldwide, but it covers much of the world where cruisers sail. The Globalstar network provides better voice quality than Iridium, and data services nearly 4 times faster. Service costs are often much lower than those of competitors. For some sailors, this is a good choice.

FWIW, here's the official Globalstar announcement:

Globalstar Constellation Update

On February 6th, 2013, Globalstar successfully completed launching its constellation of second generation satellites. The first two satellites from this recent launch were raised and placed into service in early March. Globalstar expects to place the final second-generation satellites into commercial service over the next few months as planned. Customers will continue to see improvements in network performance over the coming months as these remaining satellites are placed into service.

These new satellites are designed to last for 15 years, twice the lifespan of Globalstar's first-generation satellites. The Globalstar second-generation satellite constellation will support the Company's current lineup of voice, duplex and simplex data products and services, including its SPOT-branded consumer products which have initiated over 2,200 rescues in over 70 countries and at sea since the initial introduction in 2007. Globalstar has always been known for its crystal clear, "land-line quality" voice service, ease of use and customer value, and Globalstar will continue to provide these end-user benefits.

Unquote

Bill
I dunno. As for Globalstar, we probably should debate that on another thread. In the context of this issue: I think the OP's father appeared to be right where the Globalstar coverage hole was / is when his transmissions stopped. Satellites launched in February '13 and "coming online over the next few months" doesn't qualify as "ancient history" in my book.

More importantly, I think it is great that you added him as a non-emergency boatwatch on the nets Bill. I tend to agree with your initial assessment that provided he is in good health, all is likely well with him and it may just be a hell of a long sail in a boat with a short waterline. Let's hope it is nothing like Vega1860's 61 day jaunt from HI to AK . . .. Better yet, maybe a passing ship can raise him by VHF so the family won't have to worry so much. This sort of disturbance (an unreliable lack of info and all the emotional turmol that results from it) is really why I see SPOT as more of a nuisance than a tool. Sat phone / DeLorme or SSB all seem far preferable.
-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 13:59   #20

Thank you all for your information. It put us at ease and will certainly be put to good use when he sails again.

His SPOTcheck came through today. He is OK,

Thank you. I don't know how to close this thread.

Erin
clare73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:01   #21

Boat: Skookum 53'

That is great news!
Old 22-04-2013, 14:02   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by clare73 View Post
Thank you all for your information. It put us at ease and will certainly be put to good use when he sails again.

Erin

Yay! Thanks for letting us know!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:09   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Erin
Good stuff .

Don't worry about closing the thread - it will soon enough fade into the internet, likely after some folks here have debated the merits of Spot vs a Carrier Pigeon for a few pages. or 10 .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:12   #24

Boat: csy 37

please don't close this thread. let us know when he arrives safely at his next port. and be sure to tell him that the cruising community helped out as best we could....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:24   #25
Eternal Member

Quote:

Erin
Erin,

Many thanks. Could you please give us his postion (Latitude and Longitude) and the time, so that we can put this out on the Nets?

Thanks. Glad he's OK.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:41   #26

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It's funny, but I had a good feeling from the beginning after I looked at his photo. Those Contessas are tough little boats too.
Old 22-04-2013, 14:50   #27
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Awesome news. Congrats.

Yes, please let us know where he was when he came back online. It will confirm the edge of things and net can keep eyes.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:52   #28

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post

...or will be history in a few months once all the satellites are in orbit and on line.
Time will tell. Ive been flat out lied to by GlobalStar multiple times in the past so Im skeptical.

Regardless, they wont ever regain me as customer...unless they can figure out how to beam down cold beer to my boat for free!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:53   #29

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

Erin
Erin,

No need to close the thread. It will live on and help others in your situation. I agree with others who predicted a happy outcome. Thank you for giving us the good news.

I hope in future he has an EPIRB on board as it will be a much more reliable indicator of trouble than missing SPOT messages. EPIRB coverage is much better than SPOT as others have already mentioned. Knowing a boat has both systems can give the folks back home more peace of mind.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 14:59   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Good news that he is OK.

Suggestion: he should file a better float plan in the future...and have a better means of check-in...at least for the emotional benefit of his family.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper