Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 10:25   #1

Boat: Sabre 30 MKIII 1986
Miami area moorings during hurricanes?

We are planning to move to the Miami area next year, with our 30ft sailboat.

We are looking for moorings in the area.

What do people in Miami do during these Hurricanes?

Take down all sails and canvas and double up on mooring lines and suck it up?

During Sandy in NYC we did just that, staying on a mooring in Port Washington and not a scratch...

But I wonder about Miami, and all these Hurricanes.

Thx
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:08   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Miami area moorings during hurricanes?

Hardy any moorings in the Miami are except at Dinner Key, which is exposed to anything other than a west wind.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:02   #3

Dinner Key Marina in Coconut Grove, Florida, 480 slips and 200 moorings outside the marina. The availability of which is likely a long waiting list as that is the only moorings that I am aware of in the region.

https://marinas.com/view/marina/wgc8..._United_States

If a major storm is headed towards the area, I would strongly recommend putting the boat at a protected yard in a cradle on the hard or on its trailer chained solidly to deep earth pins placed through the asphalt or cement.

Notice taken from their website: "HURRICANE IRMA UPDATE (December 2017): Due to severe damages cause by Hurricane Irma, we will not be able to take any transient reservations until we can reconstruct the marina."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinkey1.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	220535   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinkey2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	220536  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:23   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

The dinner key mooring field is a miserable place. Certainly not hurricane worthy.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:32   #5

Boat: Sabre 30 MKIII 1986

What is miserable about the moorings at Dinner Key?

Surely people with 30ft+ sailboats are moored around the Miami area?

I mean right now for this past week would they not have been in the path of this Hurricane, did everyone pull out onto the hard?

I'm just trying to figure out where we could keep our boat when we move down there, and what we would do with all these regular Hurricane scares..

What am I missing here?
genki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 13:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post

I mean right now for this past week would they not have been in the path of this Hurricane, did everyone pull out onto the hard?

I'm just trying to figure out where we could keep our boat when we move down there, and what we would do with all these regular Hurricane scares..

What am I missing here?
There are very few moorings near Miami.

Dinner Key Marina's mooring field is directly exposed to Biscayne Bay; there is no breakwater.

Whereas the adjacent Coconut Grove Sailing Clubs moorings are mostly tucked in behind the western island, Dinner Key Picnic Islands Park, thus are comparatively much more protected from the fetch.

See image below of their mooring, their strip area and their rack area.

Note their strip area is small so likely would not have room to put your boat up on the hard if you were pulling it in advance of a storm. I don't see any yards that one could easily take it to, waterfront being just too valuable to use for slack boats. The Dinner Key Marina's mooring is located in the open water in far distance of that attached photo of the sailing club.

What you see in that picture seems to be the totality of moorings in Biscayne. Very limited supply, uncertain as to availability.

CGSC has 175 moorings in the most protected mooring field in Biscayne Bay. These moorings are available to the public and members on a first come first served basis. We accommodate vessels up to 48 ft. LOA if available. Our Club provides on demand launch service 24/7 to and from moored boats.

(305) 444-4571 manager@cgsc.org

https://www.cgsc.org/moorings/

Monthly Mooring Rates

$70 FOM* Fee + $9.25 per foot

Monthly Strip and Rack Fees

Strip: $50.00 FOM* Fee + $7.50 per foot

Rack: $50.00 FOM* Fee + $40.00 per month

Transient Moorings: $1 per foot per day

Facility, Operations, and Maintenance Fee*. All fees are subject to change

If you are worried about the safety of your boat, you move it to safety and pull it in advance of a storm, same decision and action taken ever where in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing club.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	407.3 KB
ID:	220538  
Old 02-08-2020, 13:26   #7

One could consider going up river.

For example to the aptly named Hurricane Cove Marina, the only DIY yard in Miami. But I suspect they would fill very quickly when a named storm is pending. There are other yards up the river past downtown.

https://hurricanecovemiami.com/

Hurricane Cove Marina & Boatyard – Miami’s Only Self-Service Boatyard
Hurricane Cove Marina & Boatyard is a 150 slip marina, boatyard, and yacht repair facility located on the historic Miami River. Hurricane Cove is both a “Do-It-Yourself” (DIY) and full service boatyard, so whether you want to perform any vessel repairs yourself, bring your own licensed contractors onsite, or have us perform the work – Hurricane Cove is the right place for you.

Our 85 ton travel lift can lift vessels up to 85′ in length for repairs, surveys, or storage. We offer a number of services including bottom painting, hull painting, detailing, fiberglass & gelcoat repairs, engine repairs, and many more.

Located 2.6 miles up the Miami River, our sheltered upstream location provides safe harbor for both sail and motor vessels during tropical storms or hurricanes. To make a reservation or for additional information please contact our office.
Old 02-08-2020, 13:31   #8

Boat: Boatless

I am a member of CGSC and live on the 18th floor overlooking the Dinner Key mooring field...More importantly I have been through 5 hurricanes in Miami.!

Last we checked it was over a year to get a CGSC mooring and there is no liveaboard but the Club is excellent and has a 24/7 launch service...Call the manager Lauren for information.

From my living-room-view Dinner Key mooring field is not full.

In hurricanes the Club mandates evacuation...we teach a preparation course, which I co-wrote, and show people the evacuation location. Club offers excellent support during evacuation and recovery with days of launch service to Marine Stadium and Coral Gables waterway where most boats go. There are slips up the Miami River but they will cost you $1,000+ for a few days.

As said Dinner Key mooring field is wide open and in strong hurricanes is a disaster!

Good luck. If you need more info PM me and I will give you my telephone number.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 13:43   #9

Boat: Island Packet 38

Check out Pelican Harbor and Crandon Park Marina, both County facilities. Also Miami Yacht Club. Finally, lots of boats anchor or lie at private moorings just west of South Beach. Good luck.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 17:08   #10

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:

As has been mentioned, dinner key is exposed to the full expanse of the bay.

We’ve stayed at coconut grove sailing club as transients, it’s a great place!! But it takes blind luck to Get a ball there short term.

We also stayed at Crandon park. It would be my 2nd choice behind CGSC.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:52   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

As others have mentioned, the mooring field is almost fully exposed to Biscayne Bay. In a hurricane, waves and storm surge do more damage than the wind itself, and the wide expanse of the bay allows for significant wave formation. A good hurricane hole typically has a narrow entrance that restricts wave entry, and is small enough that waves cannot build inside. Dinner Key has none of that protection.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:20   #12

Quote:

During Sandy in NYC we did just that, staying on a mooring in Port Washington and not a scratch...

Thx

The super safe thing to do is to open the seacoks and sink it where the depth will still leave the mastop above water level. And don't forget to leave a note on the masttop indicating name and ownership.

Capt. Claus - seatramp of the eighties
(sorry, I just woke up in jolly mood today)
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:33   #13

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:

Thx
Ive lived in Miami since 1955... those who know, make prior arrangements to have their boats hauled at boat yards up the Miami River. You need to get your boat inland and keep it safe from wind, waves, and tidal surge. There are no safe, moorings in the Miami-Dade area. Failing getting hauled out, Dock space in a canal or the Miami River is your best chance of survival.

I now live in Ft. Lauderdale and keep my boat 5 miles up the New River, docked at a private house...protected from waves, wind, but not tidal surge.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:42   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Few if any decent Miami moorings. Odds of getting getting a safe one as storm approaches are slim to none. Best bet is allow at least 2 days to head south and tie up in the mangroves or on the ICW.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 13:33   #15

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Waiting lists are everywhere in Florida these days, although that may change as covid eats into the pocketbooks of boaters. If you know where you will live, sign up now at the mooring field or marina of your choice.

Crandon Park's moorings are partly protected. My C&C 25 went through four or five Cat. 1s there in 2004-5 before Wilma swept through. The trick is to run about five mooring lines to the helix moorings, which generally will stay put. When one breaks, the next takes over ...

That strategy worked until Wilma put up 120 mph gusts from the SW. There is a small slot where waves from the SW can get through between the bird island and the sandbars. Half of the mooring field was wiped out.

My boat ended up in the crocodile protection area of Key Biscayne with no mast or keel.

Where ever you end up, prepare to pay sizeable bucks. Twenty years ago, Crandon Park was $60 a month. Seven years ago, I think it was $300 or more. Docks for your size boat will be at least $400-600 a month.

Free anchorages are a bad idea in Florida due to very strong winter storms. Most are exposed in one or more directions and, sooner or later, 30-50 mph winds will arrive from those directions.

It's a question of when, not if, your boat ends up ashore or on a sandbar.

You'll also find it's difficult to dinghy to your boat (few places to keep or launch them) and protect it from the many thieves who populate paradise. Part of a marina's fees is for watching your boat.

Nothing like getting an uplifting note, eh?
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, miami, mooring