Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 07:55   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Mexico, Violence and Safety

OK folks, I have done the search thing and because of fear of violence and concern for my personal safety I have all but ruled out going to Mexico. Some areas really look attractive, La Pesca in paticular. I do not even want to pull in for fuel should I determine to return w/boat to Texas because of the firearm policy. I have a 600 mile range. Departing from the tip of Cuba, gassing up in the Caymans I think would get me to Brownsville.

Some years back rent cars picked up at the airport that were obviously rent cars because the companies so marked them were targeted for Miami criminals to hijack. The gang was eventually busted but their logic was that tourist coming to Miami would have plenty of cash and because they came in on a plane they would not be armed. IE: read easy target.

I do not want see this turned into another "guns on board debate". I just want to see what the knowledge is on this board about the safety in Mexico recently. The news is full of violence in Mexico and if there was ever a "come rob me flag" being flown it would be a foreign cruiser coming into Mexico from sea with the absurd gun laws in Mexico. I do not see how a cruiser has a chance.

Am I over reacting???
Old 13-10-2010, 08:23   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I thought Miami was in America?

Anyway, you are not allowed to go to Cuba, are you?

You rich boat owners should share your wealth instead of squandering it on booze and chics.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:37   #3

Yes. Get away from the US border as expediently as possible. Don't bother with guns. Having guns does not seem to be helping the police
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:43   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
. Having guns does not seem to be helping the police
Nicolle noted: The more despotic the country the more tight the police wear their trousers.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 09:08   #5

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Your opinion of the East coast of Mexico sure sounds different than the conditions I experienced all the way down West coast of Mexico.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 10:38   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post

Am I over reacting???
Definitely.
Old 13-10-2010, 11:09   #7

I was in Cancun last week.
Very safe - lots of federales with machine-guns at road blocks.
Never pulled me over for hassle or "fines".
I reckon the troubles are confined to the border regions. Drug turf wars, not terrorists.
So the massive tourist areas of Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, would be great...
IMO.
Leave the guns for defending yourself from Americans. I used to take my gun from NY to Miami because of the issues you described!!
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:16   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I've had zero problems in Mexico, either as delivery skipper or cruiser. There are places in each port that one has to avoid and most of those can be gleaned from talking to other cruisers, marina staff, or simply not venturing into back streets after dark.

The vast majority of Mexicans I've met and spent time with are generous, fun loving, and respectful. They also understand the situation, possibly better than you do. They live there 24/7 and you're just passing through. If you decide to write off Mexico, or any country, because of random acts of violence, IMO, you will miss out on some fantastic cruising grounds, incredible cultural diversity, and a wealth of understanding.
Old 13-10-2010, 12:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

"The more despotic the country the more tight the police wear their trousers''.

"You rich boat owners should share your wealth instead of squandering it on booze and chics".
I hope you're writing these down for future publication.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 12:03   #10

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Unfortunately, I don't think you are over-reacting. I recommend reviewing this article: BBC News - Drugs and violence: Mexico's addiction . This shows that, despite the efforts of the mexican tourist bureau to paint a pattern of steady improvement and isolation of the violence, the statistics prove otherwise. They have gone from an average of 200 murders per month in 2007 and early 2008 to the current rate of over 1000 murders per month. It is certainly true that there is an unbelievable rate of violence in certain isolated areas (not just the border regions, but definitely including the border region) but the problems extend well beyond that.

Now that doesn't mean everyone who goes to Mexico will be gunned down. Far from it. If you stay in the resorts and keep your nose clean you probably won't encounter violence - but you should be clear that you run a much higher chance of doing so in Mexico right now than in most places.
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 12:11   #11

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rou-Coo View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think you are over-reacting. I recommend reviewing this article: BBC News - Drugs and violence: Mexico's addiction . This shows that, despite the efforts of the mexican tourist bureau to paint a pattern of steady improvement and isolation of the violence, the statistics prove otherwise. They have gone from an average of 200 murders per month in 2007 and early 2008 to the current rate of over 1000 murders per month. It is certainly true that there is an unbelievable rate of violence in certain isolated areas (not just the border regions, but definitely including the border region) but the problems extend well beyond that.

Now that doesn't mean everyone who goes to Mexico will be gunned down. Far from it. If you stay in the resorts and keep your nose clean you probably won't encounter violence - but you should be clear that you run a much higher chance of doing so in Mexico right now than in most places.
This should be kept in context. The US had over 1,000 murders per month in 2009 too.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 12:28   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rou-Coo View Post

On the coasts? I don't think so.

If you judge by overall statistics, then the USA is a veritable death trap, equal to Mexico. What the statistics don't tell you is that 90% of the violence is in particular rough areas and most places are perfectly fine, in Mexico as in the US.

I have cruised the Sea of Cortez, found it lovely and peaceful, the people gentle and friendly. Never locked the hatches, walked everywhere day or night, and never had any problems.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 12:34   #13

I've heard similar about Mexico, on the gulf side. Like anywhere else, there are safer spots then others.. But, I've heard that the Pacific side was outstanding in scenery and people kindness. I know that doesn't help your exact situation, but I've been to Mexico several times without an once of problems..

I would assume that you're not wearing an American flag shirt that says, "WE RULE" and a red flashing baseball cap, to make you an obvious target. I think you should be fine... Considering that most things are really random... Good luck, regardless!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 15:21   #14

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You rich boat owners should share your wealth instead of squandering it on booze and chics.
I thought that was sharing it
Ok, I'll succumb to my social conscience and up the pace a bit...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 15:29   #15

Mexico is not that dangerous. I live next to it, go into it, have friends who live there and come back and forth, and my friend is going there for a year.

It reminds me of some Korean friends who wouldn't go to L.A. because it's "too dangerous". Every day someone is getting shot there. I tried to explain to them that all day long people are living happy lives in L.A. without getting set on fire or murdered, but the fear remains.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety