Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2021, 13:38   #16

Re: Med Mooring opportunities in the Carribean/Bahamas?

Thank you Heinstl. I can see your point. We will just affix the wo fenders on the stern and deploy our unexperienced couple traveling with us to each side with roving fenders, cautioning them not to try to do ANYTHING with their hands or legs.
CaptainSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 14:50   #17
Marine Service Provider

Med-mooring techniques can vary with the conditions. Where is the wind off the bulkhead, bow, stern or cross. Is there a mooring ball for the your bow line or do you have to drop and anchor for the bow line? And the big one, how much maneuvering room on the beam. I hear usually zero if you get there late.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 15:56   #18

None of our stops will have lazy lines. All anchor and stern to. I think an early arrival is a must. Hopefully in mid-September, we are past the season for really strong winds in the Cyclades. Appreciate any input in that regard.
Old 10-06-2021, 16:27   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Re backing a cat, and twin engine handling in close quarters in general, best just to lock the rudders straight. They are not effective at such slow speeds, unecessary w twin engines, and just another distraction.

Some dont lock so well, esp if the prop is aft of the rudder...which creates a lot of load on the rudder in reverse...causing the wheel to turn...very annoying.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 17:56   #20

I agree with above. The steering mechanism has no place in the art of backing up a catamaran. lock the rudders in neutral and use the engines. you should be able to back straight using just the engines.
The sailing virgins video is really good for Med Mooring.
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 18:43   #21

I genuinely appreciate all the advice. But honestly, we have found nothing beats real life doing. If anyone knows of a place where we can hire a catamaran and have a quay or pier or something we can tie up to, having anchored somewhere that won't disrupt boat traffic, that is what we long for desperately.

Call us anal, but we want to practice this until it is rote before we have to do it live with an audience of Greeks yelling at us.
Old 10-06-2021, 18:49   #22

Boat: Taswell 43

We spent 4 seasons in the NE Medd(Turley-Greece-Adriatic_Italy), have a monohull that backs like a drunken sailor, and had never med-moored before we got there from Asia....and we survived! There were a few times when we just could not counter the crosswind, so after 3-4 attempts we just went out into the bay and dropped the anchor--someone has to be the entertainment for the day! With just the 2 of us on board we found: (1)loose the anchor about 4-5 boatlengths out, and just let the chain run. Tighten it up once you're on the dock. (2) turn around and face aft at the helm....makes backing much easier (which way to turn). (3) It's amazing how many (more) boats will fit along the seawall....if there is ANY opening, go for it...there is room! (4) Store/remove any BBQ, or solar panels, or anything else that MAY protrude even a little before you start. (5) Don't be shy about aborting the run, going out and getting re-set-up, and trying it again. (6) No matter how smartly you drop your anchor, someone will cross it and distrurb your setup.....it just happens! (7) Like I said, someone has to be the entertainment for the day....sometimes it's just your turn; it happens to everyone! (8) Enjoy it...it's really fun!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 19:35   #23

I love your style sailcrazy.
Old 11-06-2021, 07:53   #24

Boat: Chatam 50

Re quote:Wish we could control the windlass from the cockpit, but not an option on our chartered Lagoon.

This helps in some situations but does not allow a variably controlled free-fall of the anchor chain which is generally required as letting the anchor down using the windlass motor does not lay out chain fast enough unless you are reversing very slowly. A quicker reverse is often required as the conditions are often windy (especially near Paros and area) and speed is necessary to counter cross-winds (a catamaran's two engines has an advantage here) Most of the sailing around Paros will be in windy conditions and there are few places that have easylines. You will be anchoring most of the time. The docks are busy and one's allowed time on them is often short in peak season. Beware the ferries; they take no prisoners. If you would like more input on this area, pm me. Good luck.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:41   #25

Boat: Leopard 45

I like the idea others have mentioned re the various u tube videos on med mooring. I have chartered in Greece and Turkey several times and have had good and bad experiences with med mooring. The bad is when someone comes in after you and traverses over your chain. Then when you go to leave, up comes their chain and anchor. On most seawalls you back into there will be hands on shore ready to assist you with either lazy lines or your stern lines. They are often associated with a restaurant adjacent to the warf. The trick to good med mooring is to lay out enough anchor as you back into the space and setting the anchor a good 4 boat lengths before the sea wall. Then play out the final length as you approach the last 5 to 10 feet of the sea wall. Above all make sure you back down straight with your anchor perpendicular to the wall so as not to cross any others anchor lines so as to prevent a mishap when you or the adjacent boat leaves. Keeping in mind that the anchors are only about 20 feet apart. If you are med mooring onto open land you do the same anchoring procedure backing down to a comfortable distance to the shoreline and then send your dingy crew ashore with stern lines to tie off to trees or rocks on the shoreline. You can do this with one line but two is preferred about 50' apart.
I know it is always daunting to try a new skill but you will be a pro in three tries. Be sure to have good communication with your crew and let them know what you want from them in advance.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:11   #26

Boat: Outbound 46

The marina in Marigot Bay on St. Lucia uses the med-mooring system, and would be a great place to practice.

We had a memorable experience in Greece, trying to slip into a narrow space while fighting a 2-3 knot cross current. Luckily we had a really excellent helmsman aboard. The folks on the dock kept yelling at us that we were coming in crooked (we were, and needed to be).
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 07:42   #27

Hi Susan,
My wife and I just finished our 1 week bareboat in Greece on the Ionian side. We were on a Fontaine Pajot Lucia 40 which has a LOA of about 38.5ft. I know how your feeling about the med mooring because I was feeling it too, especially since my wife doesn’t know the difference between port and starboard. I won’t go over the procedure because I’m sure you already know it. For our first time, we went a bit early (1pm) before the afternoon winds started to blow. It was only about 5kts. You will also find if you go early there is plenty of space on the seawall, and you won’t be pressured to squeeze between boats, depending on popularity and size of the port. I can almost guarantee the will be someone there to catch your stern lines and throw them back to you. You do it once and you will realize it’s a piece of cake! The cats’ twin screws make it so easy.
One little trick I did was to be a little stingy with the amount of rode you let out, so that the anchor bites before your stern can touch the wall. You can easily let a little more out if your too far from the wall to toss your lines. With the anchor dug in, keep the throttles in reverse idle to keep the boat from swinging, or give it a shot here and there to the hull that needs it. This gives your parter plenty of time to go from anchor locker to the stern calmly and without needing to run.
Y’all will do fine and have so much fun. Go for the grilled octopus and the fried calamari. It was maybe the best week of my life!

Good luck and enjoy,

Jon
JuliettOscarNov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 08:06   #28

Boat: Oyster 49

For med mooring, bluetooth headsets for helm and windlass person are a godsend. No shouting necessary. Makes you look cool and so in control. I have a pair of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Referee-Foo...633286&sr=8-15

For mooring on a town quay that is curved, crossed anchors are to be expected. I would invest in a trip hook and work out how to use it in advance. I keep one rigged with two different coloured lines and use it on most trips either for ourselves or to help others. https://jimmygreen.com/anchoring-acc...line-trip-hook

Med mooring against the anchor is easier that with lazy lines as the anchor holds the bow in place and there is no phaphing about trying to tie off the line in a cross wind that inevitably blows in the afternoon!

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 09:09   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 469

hello .... I have sailed many times in Greece, and what I recommend may be obvious but it is key to have a clear routine when using a molo or dock.
1.- Choose the place with enough space for the catamaran. Have the mooring lines organized and ready outside the lifelines. If it is possible to approach the chosen place and at a certain distance, turn in line with that place and move away about 4 to 5 lengths.
2.- Drop the anchor a few more meters from the indicated depth and go back while the person on the winch drops the chain continuously.
3.- At a distance of 3 lengths from the shore, check that the anchor is secure and restart the retreat while releasing more chain.
4.- At about 3 to 4 meters from the shore, stop the catamaran and throw the lines to the ground support.
5.- If there is no help on the ground, it is only necessary to anchor at a greater distance, calculating to have enough length of lines and to bring the windward cape ashore first and then the leeward one after its mooring.
6.- IN THE EVENT OF ANY DOUBT ABOUT THE RESULT, SECURE THE ANCHOR, BREATHE DEEPLY AND START THE MANEUVER AGAIN. STAYING FIRM LOW ANXIETY AND THE TWO ENGINES EFFECTIVELY HELP.
Ekeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 10:25   #30

Boat: Bali 4.0

Id say you can seek out/find plenty of opportunities in most any island chain.
Certainly in the Bahamas if you're looking for something nearby.
All you need is a beach and a tree... if you wish to increase the stress/skills then pick a tighter bay.

We've med moored plenty throughout the Caribbean... occasionally (but not typically) not to avoid other boats in a crowd, but more common to tuck/wedge ourselves into a tiny bay to avoid those same crowds.

theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Carribean, mooring, rib