Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2011, 04:37   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Can I Sail to Cuba ?

Ah the benefits of a Canadian GF.... When questioned by ICE, I just point at her and say "SHE paid for everything!"
Old 19-05-2011, 04:46   #17

Boat: private yacht always moving

years ago I called the treaury department about cube,, they said as long as I do not spend money there Ic ould go, I then called the state department and they said american ere forbidden to go,,, i know that several people ahve gottne large fines for going but in the court of law they were dismissed, big brother does not like it when its citizens do not listen them,,,,,,i would go anyways,,, from the bahamas,,,, jst do not let the US coast guard catch you,, never knwo what will happen,,,,online there is a law you can look up, i forgot which one but it says you are able to go for certain purposes,,A flortilla from florida had coast guard problems and was stopped by the US for trying to bring aid to cuba (medical) but I think they were allowed to go after a small court battle,
Cuba

How to travel to Cuba step by step - everything you need to know. Information for US citizens.

Boaters charged over race to Cuba
Old 19-05-2011, 05:49   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Can I Sail to Cuba ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hell.... why do you 'Yanks' always have to do things the 'Hard Way'.....??
Coupla quick E-mails... around $75 and you can cut down the time for your certification and Graduation to 12 hrs.... there's loadsa 'Online Universities..'
If you'll pardon the commercial aspect of this post may I remind all readers that I operate Panhandle University, the university of what's happening now! American readers know that the panhandle is an American desert/plains region with very few sailboats. This results in a cost savings for you, the student. My specially designed curriculum allows life credit in a big way, far bigger than my sister institutions Harvard, Yale, and Long Beach State, my personal alma mater. GO BEACH!!! Y nosotros hablamos Espanol!

This week's special for CF readers bound for Cuba:

Doctor of the Seven Seas degree: $59.95 (includes free master's degree)

Just answer these questions to my satisfaction, , and you'll soon be on your legal way to Cuba (pronounced like koooba):

Is kooba located near one of the seven seas?

Does smoking ciguatera cause lung cancer or just make fish taste better?

Where has MarkJ been? Abducted by aliens or just a drunken bender in one Caribbean slease hole after another?

Will you be spending US greenbacks on sex, booze, and cigars as an international gesture of friendship or as post-doctoral study models?

Do you actually have to have a clue where Cuba is if your GPS, chart plotter, and autopilot are interfaced? Discuss.

Yes, PU takes Paypal! Send money now, Doctor!
Old 19-05-2011, 05:52   #19

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
Travel to Cuba is not prohibited. The embargo is against spending money in Cuba. We applied for and received a permit to spend money in Cuba from the US Dept of Treasury.
Unlicensed travel to Cuba is prohibited. You applied for and received a license to legally travel to Cuba for the purpose of engaging in journalism activities. Without the license, it's sadly prohibited and illegal for US citizens to travel to Cuba.

The application and guidelines for a license to travel to Cuba can be found here:
US Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control - License Application for Travel to Cuba
Old 19-05-2011, 06:02   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Dreams View Post
The restrictions are simple for US citizens is no direct travel netween the US and Cuba. You have always been able to visit BY GOING TO CANADA or any other country 1st.
Not so.

Quote:
ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS, TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.
US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs - Cuba

If you have a license from the US Department of Treasury to travel to Cuba, arrangements may be made in the United States without the need for a third country:

Quote:
Authorized travelers may make their travel arrangements through an OFAC-authorized Travel Service Provider (“TSP”) and may board direct charter flights departing from any U.S. international airport approved by the Department of Homeland Security for such flights.
Comprehensive Guidelines for License Applications to Engage in Travel-Related Transactions Involving Cuba
Old 19-05-2011, 06:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
years ago I called the treaury department about cuba
"Years ago" is out of date. The Cuban Assets Control Regulations changed effective January 28, 2011.
Old 19-05-2011, 06:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Americans are prohibited under the Trading with the Enemy Act
The Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917 only applies to governments with whom the United States has declared war. The statute that legally imposes sanctions against Cuba is the Cuban Democracy Act of 1992. The Cuban Democracy Act gives the US Department of Treasury the power to regulate all interactions with Cuba, including travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
There are (illegal) work-arounds.
For sure. There are also several legal workarounds provided by Amendments to Cuban Assets Control Regulations: 31 CFR part 515, including but not limited to journalism, academics, religious activities, and medicine - all in the context of directly interacting with the Cuban people in hopes of influencing them to transition to democracy (i.e., revolt.)
Old 19-05-2011, 06:31   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Can I Sail to Cuba ?

What everyone forgets...
One is making passage on the high sea's from point A to point L.... assume point L is Jamaica...
Unfortunately due to mechanical/rig problems which put the vessel in 'potential danger' in the skippers opinion the vessel was forced to detour to Havana for essential repairs...
A tourist is someone who leaves their home for a week or two, jumps on a plane (after asking permission to go) and pretends to see a country from an all in resort...
A sailing vessel IS ones home and visa's are not required to enter a port for 'essential repair'... anywhere in the world... International Maritime Law covers this... for up to 48hrs... extensions may be applied for during that time.. aka visa's.
The only exceptions to this are Iran, Israel, Nth Korea and the USA... where the likelihood is you will be arrested as soon as you tie up... if not before.
Actually... as a UK flagged vessel I find it harder to get into a 'Special Relationship' country by boat than I would less 'Friendly' countries...
life is strange

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-05-2011, 06:36   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
LOL. That is fantastic. "I want to go to Cuba, so I'll spend 8 years in grad school then 4 years doing postdocs for the honour of a 1 in a 100 chance to get a professorship. Then I'll have made sure that I'm doing research all along related to Cuba, and then I'll get a grant to fund some research that requires field work in Cuba.
I don't think all that is required to travel under the "Educational Activities" license. It would be MUCH easier to apply for a license under the "Religious Activities" license. All you would need to do is affiliate yourself with a church and through that church conduct missionary work in Cuba. While cruising, spread the word and perform charitable acts.

The only caveat is that if you're going to exploit a church for access to Cuba, you may have to answer to a power much higher than any earthly government. I'd make sure I did the missionary work ... and enjoyed doing it.
Old 19-05-2011, 07:35   #25

Remember if sailing near Cuba to another destination and need to put in for repairs you must go in at an official port of entry. If you enter a non port of entry you will be turned away. For non US boaters Cuba is the most interesting cruising grounds in the Caribbean.
Old 19-05-2011, 07:41   #26
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
LOL. That is fantastic. "I want to go to Cuba, so I'll spend 8 years in grad school then 4 years doing postdocs for the honour of a 1 in a 100 chance to get a professorship.
Let's be real. Some of us were able to land professorships after only seven years of grad school.
Old 19-05-2011, 09:13   #27

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I can sail to Cuba as I am Canadian. What I apparently have to be careful about is sailing across Lake Ontario to Youngstown, NY while carrying Cuban cigars and Cuban rum, because some of your Homeland Insecurity folk are a touch rabid...or just want to smoke contraband.

So I don't sail to the States...too much bother.
Old 19-05-2011, 09:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I can sail to Cuba as I am Canadian. What I apparently have to be careful about is sailing across Lake Ontario to Youngstown, NY while carrying Cuban cigars and Cuban rum, because some of your Homeland Insecurity folk are a touch rabid...or just want to smoke contraband.
I had a friend many years ago who honeymooned with his wife in France. Upon return to the US, customs came across a box of Cuban cigars in their luggage that his wife bought for him. Surprise!
Old 19-05-2011, 09:33   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Ah the benefits of a Canadian GF.... When questioned by ICE, I just point at her and say "SHE paid for everything!"
Are you serious? Seriously, are you? I have discussed sailing to Cuba from Florida with an American friend of mine, and of course the question of how to legally re-enter the States has come up.

I just wonder how much the boat would be torn apart if we tried your method???
Old 19-05-2011, 09:35   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

On another subject, has anyone noticed that the OP with only 2 posts started this thread, and then promptly disappeared?

Great comments were obtained, but I wonder what the whole purpose of a five word second post was all about?
Closed Thread

Tags
Cuba, sail, cuba