Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 19:35   #1

Marsh Harbour - Greeting Friends / Family Who Fly in ?

Hi there, we will be wintering in Marsh Harbour, Bahamas for the first time this year and are trying to determine how to meet the needs of our guests that will be visiting. I realize that there is an airport in Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay but the costs are double of that flying into Freeport or Miami. Anyone aware of ferry transportation or another way of getting the guests to us from either of these locations? Hate to be stuck in weather at Marsh harbour and not be able to boat over to Freeport to pick someone up and we are certainly not boating to Miami to go get them! Thanks. Also, does Marsh Harbour anchorage every fill up?? Plan to arrive in Oct but will be doing many day/overnight cruises and hate to lose an anchoring spot.

Kerry and Mark, S/V Alyssa Jane
out_kayaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:22   #2

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
You'll be fine as far as the anchorage. Sometimes it gets a little more full than others, but it's a good size harbor.

As for the flights - have them fly to Lauderdale or W. Palm and pick up one of the small island hopper carriers that fly direct to marsh. Continental, Yellow air taxi, bahamas air... there are a number of them. Prices aren't too bad - and "boating over" to freeport to pick someone up for a short stay in Marsh, especially with the letters S/V in front if your boat's name, isn't really reasonable. It's over 160nm... so Freeport isn't really right next door - especially at 6 knots.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
For that matter Nassau is closer than Freeport, though I heard they plan on closing one of the entrances for dredging.
Old 02-08-2010, 20:03   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Many boats move down to Georgetown for the winter so I usually see fewer boats in Marsh Harbour in the winter than in early summer. There's a convenient dinghy dock that I've used to pick up and drop off crew frequently.

I don't think either Nassau or Freeport are very convenient alternatives for picking up crew in the winter as cold fronts are common and can be strong. Nassau is much closer, but you can reach Grand Bahama without ever leaving the Little Bahama Bank.

There are shuttle/bus options from West End to Freeport, but I really think over all Marsh Harbour is a better option. If your goal is to cruise the northern Abacos, there is ferry service to and from Green Turtle Cay (I have a boat there now) and the Treasure Cay Airport, but over all I prefer the the all around anchoring protection Marsh Harbour provides as well as more varied and economical provisioning.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 23:44   #5

We have had no problem with Continental...love West Palm Beach airport. Smooth flight from WPB with Continental to Marsh Harbor.
NWCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 16:13   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Quote:
Originally Posted by robw_fl View Post
You'll be fine as far as the anchorage. Sometimes it gets a little more full than others, but it's a good size harbor.
This is especially true when fronts move through, you'll be close enough to your neighbor you won't have to raise your voice to have a conversation.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote