Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 18:10   #1

Boat: Beneteau 38 first
marina summer/fall 2019 around MD

Ok folks getting close to leaving land...
We are leaving the great lakes and starting our trip south in June, would like to end up around MD Annapolis would be great but don't really care if it's that town. My requirements are a place to park a car, priced fair, safe. 6'6" draft 40 slip.

I need this slip for about 2 1/2 months starting the end of august.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:26   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: marina summer/fall 2019 around MD

Annapolis and Eastport are expensive unless you can find a private slip on Craigslist. Mill creek to the north, south river or galesville to the south, or Solomon’s Island (much further south) are options.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:08   #3

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

Look at flagharbor.com in southern MD.
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:26   #4

Boat: CSY33

I’ll offer another vote for Flag Harbor
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Herrington Harbor North may work for you.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:00   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

It's been 30 years since I cruised the Chesapeake extensively. I recall marinas were a bit cheaper on the Eastern Shore, though that may have changed. I also preferred the lovely old towns over there. Chestertown, Easton, Oxford are all splendid and well situated. St. Michaels is nice also, though the harbor gets quite busy. Rock Hall and Kent Island may have the most slip spaces.

You'll love the fall sailing down there, particularly if you sail into late fall when the waterfowl are migrating. Summer winds can be flukey and it does get much hotter than you are used to in the Great Lakes. Also, swimming is generally not an option after June as the shallower parts fill up with stinging jellyfish.

Great cruising grounds! Enjoy it.

Jenn and Terry
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:02   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville may be the perfct place. Its at the back of the West river, easy to get in and out, 45 minutes from BWI airport, its quiet and a very friendly place. I have kept my boat there for 6 years. Hartgeyachtharbor.com.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15   #8

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat
Thumbs up Re: marina summer/fall 2019 around MD

If you don't mind the cheaper North/East Chesapeake is worth a try. Haven Harbor Marinas (Main and South) and a few more in Rock Hall safe harbor.

Direct access to the Bay, nice restaurants and groceries, West Marine, Ace Hardware (propane). 12 miles inland, Chestertown has all the other amenities: Hospital, Lodging, College life.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:36   #9

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitlaw View Post
Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville may be the perfct place. Its at the back of the West river, easy to get in and out, 45 minutes from BWI airport, its quiet and a very friendly place. I have kept my boat there for 6 years. Hartgeyachtharbor.com.
Another vote for Hartge; call and ask for Buddy, the dockmaster. Great guy! We kept our tri there, and may go back with our cat. Tell him Lee said hi!
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:23   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Reviewing marina listings in ActiveCaptain may help...

Location choices in the semi-immediate vicinity could include Annapolis (several), Bay Bridge Marina, Rock Hall (several), Kent Narrows (several), Galesville (Hartge's is nice), Deale (Herrington Harbor North is nice)... and there are also decent places on the South River and the Rhode River. Or even further south, there are several good choices in Solomons Island.

Maybe have a look at some of those, AC listings/reviews and individual websites, and then you might be able to ask more focused questions about some of your choices. I do know many of the marinas...

-Chris
Old 06-04-2019, 12:25   #11

Boat: Island Pscket 31

Oak Harbor up the Patasico on the left very protected, good folks
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:54   #12

Boat: Leopard 42 Catamaran

All good suggestions thus far. We actually live on The Magothy and I've sailed this area for well over 40 years. Do you want amenities such as a pool? Another thing to consider is will the marina check your boat in your absence. We have wicked 'Noreasters in the Fall. There are services that you can pay to handle this. Prices north and south of Annapolis are less expensive. You have Middle River north of Baltimore. Baltimore may have private rentals at some of the gated condos. Eastern shore less expensive too. Castle Harbor comes to mind but entrance depth may be a concern. Protected area and they were to dredge. Feel free to PM with specific questions.

https://www.spinsheet.com/chesapeake-bay-marinas
Luftmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 13:43   #13

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

The OP question is like asking what is the best model of car, boat, or shoes? What is the goal? Is this to work here in the area? To be a tourist in the Metro DC Capitol area? To hang out on the Annapolis waterfront? Refit for an extended cruise?

Distance-wise, how far is too far and from what? Baltimore has a lot of slips, lots of services, and lower pricing on everything, but is that too far? How about Havre de Grace?

Prices vary wildly to fit with the rest of those questions, of course.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 14:55   #14

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkswrecks View Post
The OP question is like asking what is the best model of car, boat, or shoes? What is the goal? Is this to work here in the area? To be a tourist in the Metro DC Capitol area? To hang out on the Annapolis waterfront? Refit for an extended cruise?

Distance-wise, how far is too far and from what? Baltimore has a lot of slips, lots of services, and lower pricing on everything, but is that too far? How about Havre de Grace?

Prices vary wildly to fit with the rest of those questions, of course.
Holy smokes guys thank you so much!!!

I guess I need to explain my needs a little better.
We are leaving mid june from the mackinaw bridge, I'm retired but my wife is a school teacher and needs to work till November 1st 2019 but she has the summer off. So we are heading south and when we get just north of the hurricane zone we are going to stop so she can work the last 2 months of her career (late august till November 1st) Our house is up for sale in the next week and we sure won't miss the snow!!! When we stop the boat so she can go back to work we are planning on renting a car and driving back to Michigan where we have rented he an apartment and our cars will be, I plan to drive back and live on the boat for sept and part of October (selling one of the cars but would like to keep it for errands at first) then I plan on starting the trek down the ICW solo till she rejoins me. The boat would only be left unattended for at the most 4 days while we chase cars down.

I only said the Annapolis area because I understand that to be out of the hurricane zone. I'm not opposed to further south but I don't want to have to move the boat north if a storm is coming if I don't need to...

I don't need a pool, heck even laundry if I have my car I will be all by myself with nothing better to do!!! LOL yhea right.

When my wife rejoins me we are heading further south need to be in or at least close to florida in mid December (Disney trip for the grandkids since we are leaving them for the next few years) After the Disney trip we are back on the boat and heading for the Bahamas then the pacific who knows after that...

I have looked at active captain at the marinas down the east coast figured I might get more of a personal response here.

Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 15:15   #15

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by snokid View Post
I only said the Annapolis area because I understand that to be out of the hurricane zone. I'm not opposed to further south but I don't want to have to move the boat north if a storm is coming if I don't need to...

I don't need a pool, heck even laundry if I have my car I will be all by myself with nothing better to do!!! LOL yhea right.

When my wife rejoins me we are heading further south need to be in or at least close to florida in mid December (Disney trip for the grandkids since we are leaving them for the next few years) After the Disney trip we are back on the boat and heading for the Bahamas then the pacific who knows after that...

I have looked at active captain at the marinas down the east coast figured I might get more of a personal response here.

That helps; I could have named about 25 marinas near Annapolis, just off the top of my head... but with no clue whether what they offer has anything to do with what you want.

Hurricanes here have been sort of a crap shoot, no way to predict, certainly not this early... and even when we've seen one coming, we haven't really had a good lock on where it's really coming TO, so...

Given your additional input... and with that in mind about the weather thing... and knowing that schedules suck... and I think the Georgia line is where most insurance companies want you "north of" until Nov 30 (something like that, check with your insurance company)...

I'd instead recommend your plan be to bag the "Annapolis" idea and just head south until you are within maybe a week of knowing how far south you're making... If it happens to end up being Annapolis or environs plus or minus 50 miles, great.... But that gives you freedom to cover the whole Chesapeake Bay... or not... you could smell a rose and drink some coffee along the way... or not... and you could conceivably get as far south as North or even South Carolina...

Without feeling pressed into arriving at a specific marina on a specific day...

And if it turns out you head into the Annapolis area after all just as your Cinderella clock is getting ready to chime... it's still easy to name 25 marinas or so that could work for you...

-Chris