Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 18:51   #16

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
how can I put this politely, buddy was maybe not the most objective of reporters to be found on the Rio. I will say no more .
Perhaps, but the U.S. State Department information on Guatemala is very consistent with Buddy's report: Guatemala. To quote just one paragraph: "Guatemala has one of the highest violent crime rates in Latin America. In 2009, approximately 25 murders a week were reported in Guatemala City alone. While the vast majority of murders do not involve foreigners, the sheer volume of activity means that local officials, who are inexperienced and underpaid, are unable to cope with the problem. Rule of law is lacking as the judicial system is weak, overworked, and inefficient. Well-armed criminals know there is little chance they will be caught or punished."

This does not mean that everyone should avoid Rio Dulce, but clearly it isn't exactly an idyllic paradise. Many people engage in high risk activities, including sailing in the roaring forties and climbing in the Himalayas. Others prefer to sail on the Long Island Sound and hike the Appalachian Trail. It's important to understand the risks involved in each activity, and if you do decide to venture forth, to do it with your eyes open and to plan and behave accordingly. See Rio Dulce Chisme Vindicator :: View topic - How to turn Risk in to Security for a sober discussion of risk and risk management.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:51   #17

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
Re: Marina in Rio Dulce, Guatemala

I was at Bruno's Marina on Rio Dulce (on my way to Thailand) when my Mom let me know she had cancer. I left my boat at Bruno's for over two years (with a few short visits) and did not have one problem, whatsoever. During this time there were three different managers, yet my vessel was just as I left it.

Like many security-conscious marinas throughout the Caribbean, shots are fired at swimmers and too close cayucas at night, not to kill, but just for emphasis. If your heart bleeds for the downtrodden, there will be many places in Latin America that will be unpleasant for you. Should you have interest in taking action to help those who have fallen on hard times, you will find plenty of service opportunities around the Rio Dulce.

The RIO is so reasonable. The very best sander/painter gets fifteen dollars a day from me and I catch hell from other boaters for paying too much. Lunch on you is part of the deal. I had my 46 foot ketch re-soled (new floor of solid teak/holly) for less than 2500 US (with a thin plywood underlayment and new stringers, all epoxied over) FIRST CLASS WORK.

Still Two years ago there was murderous violence here and similar violent boardings between here and Roatan. If you cruise here, or anywhere wild, be prepared, self-reliant and aware. I often sleep in my cockpit and woe unto any poor S.O.B. that makes a play for me, or my guests, on my boat.

None of this gets in the way of an enjoyable existence...
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to nitroexpress

Hello Sage,

Thank you for the post! I just joined the forum and wanted to say that I look forward to learning from you "journeyman" sailors! My wife and I have been in South America for over seven (7) years and currently live in Santiago, Chile. We hope to move to La Antigua, Guatemala by the end of November, 2011. We have found a 55 foot Hatteras convertible in Florida and will cruise it down to the Rio Dulce. It will be our toy and we look forward to meeting other boaters in the area and cruising the Caribbean. Any suggestions will be graciously accepted! Cheers, Dave
nitroexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:40   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

margo--i have found buddy to be one of the wordiest lawyers i ever read. i do not read him anymore. he is opinionated also.
i will go to rio dulce, and i will not allow the negativity of others in their wordy as hell reports beat the trip out of me. i have heard from others that it is a good place to go.
i even have friends from work(when i used to do that) who live in guatamala. go figger--- they visit their families often and have not complained of any rabid violence-
right now i choose to stash reports of violence with the reports of violence in mexico and chalk it up to showing off in front of those less fortunate than we are.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 17:14   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Some food for thought. We spent just about a year in the Rio. Met lots of great folks, wandered around (not at night in the wrong places) Stayed at Catamaran Marina, left our boat numerous times for months at a time. AND, had nothing but GREAT experiences.... never felt threatened in any way. The food for thought is.... when we planned to trip (from Bocas) we talked to lots of folks who had been there, and received view ranging from Euphoric to scary. More the first than the latter. Truth turned out to be (in my opinion)... If you are savvy enough to pilot a sailboat to the Rio, you are savvy enough to keep out of trouble there. It is a beautiful place, with beautiful and interesting people.... and one that requires just a little caution.... and there is no shortage of folks to help you with that. GO! and ENJOY!

Be WEll,

Shuttersailor
Shuttersailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guatemala