Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 06:54   #1

Marathon and Biscayne Bay

Hi
I just came up from the North West Carribean. I am in Key West and would like to know. Can you anchor outside Marathon near the channel going in? Looks OK on the chart. Any charges or requirments?
What about No Name in Biscayne. I am going to the Bahamas and would like to break the trip up.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Marathon and Biscayne Bay

No Name is a good place to wait a couple of days for a weather window to cross but it is a long way from any kind of shopping if you need supplies.

It's located in Bill Baggs State Park. Here is what the park's website says.

"Visitors are allowed to anchor overnight in No Name Harbor for a fee of $20.00 per boat per night. Mooring to the seawall overnight is not permitted. During operating hours, visitors who have paid the overnight fee have access to coin operated laundry machines and a rinse shower. We also have a free pump out for all boats, a picnic shelter and restrooms. Boater's Grill is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Visitors arriving by boat but not anchoring overnight must pay a $8.00 entrance fee. The entrance fee and anchoring fee are both collected by honor system."

If you need to resupply or want to go out to eat, the Dinner Key area is better for that.
Old 19-03-2013, 07:17   #3

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

I anchored just outside the channel going into Boot Key a couple months ago. Aside from the sometimes busy boat traffic, its not to bad a place. I anchored just down from the number 55 in the photo. There are a few crabpots there, but the holding is decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	57326  
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:29   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

There may be some room to anchor inside Boot Key Harbor in the designated anchorage area on the south side of the channel before you get to the mooring field--you can't anchor amongst the moorings. The anchorage tends to be very tight and almost everyone is on at least two anchors, but I have managed to squeeze in a few times. Unfortunately, the dinghy dock at the city marina charges over $20 per day to tie up, but there are no significant hassles if you don't stay more than I think 10 days when you have to show proof of pumpout. Use an anchor light--the local patrol goes out practically every night to check. There are other places to anchor too going up the Keys in the Hawk Channel. You can anchor up near Rodriguez off of Islamorada
Old 19-03-2013, 08:07   #5

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

At Burdine's on the port side going in, they have a dink dock in the back for 7 bucks a day, but be sure to lock everything up. You will need a bike or call a taxi, as its a fair walk to any substantial provisional stores. There a convience store withing walking distance, and a West Marine.

Burdines has a nice bar/restaurant upstairs, that serves up a great cheeseburger and a pile of fries.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 08:17   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

No Name is a great place to anchor, but watch out on the weekends...it can get quite exciting as dozens of daytrippers come and tie to the wall or try to anchor between all of the cruisers, and then at dusk try to navigate out after having had plenty to drink.

There are 2 excellent Cuban restaurants in the park...one is right there at the harbor. Great music, too, on some nights. Beautiful park to walk or bike around...nice beach, too. Grocery and hardware is an easy bike ride, but a long walk...make sure to check in with the gate so you can get back in. Enterprise Rent-a-car is convenient, too.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote