Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 11:02   #91

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Lying when Entering the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Unfortunately this is all too true.
Be very careful what you wish for!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:19   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Be very careful what you wish for!
Also true. Would like to retire but not unexpectedly or sooner than I planned.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:44   #93

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Lying When Entering the US

Me-and-Boo,

From one boring regulator to another, welcome to CF. Life is more complicated for those that lie to me too. I'm always amazed at the number that feel compelled to lie, even when they just had an oops.
Old 07-09-2011, 13:57   #94

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post

And why would you want to waste your one life being a boring regulator when you could be sailing the Caribe meeting new and exiting peoples and countries. What horrible fate do you imagine you are saving us all from?
Ah, never guess the private life of boring regulators. I have been places few people have ever been. I have seen our earth from views very few have looked from. I have been places that have not been mapped. I have been places where I probably was the first human to step there. I have heard the silence of the wind, and the noise of nature that tells you "take another step and you will die".

Also, what I do is what almost all countries do to prevent nasty things from getting in their countries. It is common sense because there are things of common in one area or country that can be a devastating pest in another; these measures have been taken for millennium and are not political. However, some people are not concerned with spreading bad things even when they have the opportunity to not do it. That is where the CBP and others are the front line and if you do not do what they tell you to then I get the case. That is why you do not want your case to come to me - you have already had a chance to do the right thing, and did not.

As for politics - I am completely apolitical in my official capacity.

That said I am old enough to know what has happened and why Cuba is dealt with the way it is today.
Old 07-09-2011, 20:41   #95
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanship View Post
If anyone has doubts that Castro is a bad dude, read "Against All Hope" by Armando Vallasquez, a persuasive story from one of the victims.
Saying that, it would be a hell of an economic stimulus to open up Cuba.

Can we leave the anti Castro propaganda out of the thread.

Dave
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35   #96

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Good book?
Try Roberto Belano's 2666 and/or The Savage Detectives
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06   #97

Boat: Tartan, 27

For those looking to go to Cuba, the link to the Treasury Dept. (posted earlier in the thread) will tell you how to do so, legally.

The BIG loophole is almost at the end of the approved reasons to travel list. "Religious Event"

The way it's worded makes it easy to travel to Cuba legally, unless you're allergic to the idea of attending a Church service sometime while you're there.
Old 08-09-2011, 13:12   #98

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed50 View Post
For those looking to go to Cuba, the link to the Treasury Dept. (posted earlier in the thread) will tell you how to do so, legally.

The BIG loophole is almost at the end of the approved reasons to travel list. "Religious Event"

The way it's worded makes it easy to travel to Cuba legally, unless you're allergic to the idea of attending a Church service sometime while you're there.
This is the problem with a lot of the misinformation that gets passed around the internet. You can't just go and when you come back say I went to a religious event. You must apply for permission using the "religious event" as the reason for the request. You will need to provide a lot of proof that you are making a reasonable and legitimate request. After all of this, the probability is that your request will be denied anyway under the current climate. There are really no "loopholes" currently since unless you are going on U.S. Government sanctioned business or under a legitimate journalist license, the odds of getting permission is almost nil. We have been involved in the U.S./Cuba boating issue since 2000 with both Cuban and U.S Officials and it is no better or easier today than it was under the Bush Administration. There are four bills in Congress to lift the travel ban, but what do any of us feel are the odds of passage right now? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 17:55   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
This is the problem with a lot of the misinformation that gets passed around the internet. You can't just go and when you come back say I went to a religious event. You must apply for permission using the "religious event" as the reason for the request. You will need to provide a lot of proof that you are making a reasonable and legitimate request. After all of this, the probability is that your request will be denied anyway under the current climate. There are really no "loopholes" currently since unless you are going on U.S. Government sanctioned business or under a legitimate journalist license, the odds of getting permission is almost nil. We have been involved in the U.S./Cuba boating issue since 2000 with both Cuban and U.S Officials and it is no better or easier today than it was under the Bush Administration. There are four bills in Congress to lift the travel ban, but what do any of us feel are the odds of passage right now? Chuck

What misinformation WWG??? Where did you pull from thin air that I said you can go ahead and go and when you get back....???

I simply pointed out that a link had already been provided (post #25 I believe) which tells you how to travel to Cuba legally. And if you don't think "Religious Activities" isn't a hole big enough to drive a semi through, you have no imagination.

FWIW I have no desire to go to Cuba, but apparently a lot of sailors do.
Old 08-09-2011, 18:07   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
What misinformation WWG??? Where did you pull from thin air that I said you can go ahead and go and when you get back....???

I simply pointed out that a link had already been provided (post #25 I believe) which tells you how to travel to Cuba legally. And if you don't think "Religious Activities" isn't a hole big enough to drive a semi through, you have no imagination.

Yes Id like permission to go to Cuba for a religious meeting..well yes sir I do know that its communist...well athiest is a belief after all sir..what do you mean "declined"..You cant violate my right to freedom and worship..you lazy buracrats..Ill have your job for this..mark my word...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:34   #101
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

It would be greatly embarrassing for the US government to actually put out a position paper showing how much trade and travel IS in fact endorsed and condoned with Cuba, despite the boycott.

There are all sorts of "relief missions" regularly flying direct from the US to Cuba, for anyone who wants to spend a week "helping" groups in Cuba. And a steady stream of freighters from out of Texas and N'Orleans carrying all sorts of necessary goods.

Or you could go to Appalachia and see poor folks and old cars without bearding the tiger. If you need to practice Spanish, go to Spain. Cuba? Can't see the great urge, you can always buy the cigars in Montreal or Vancouver.

Either way, it would be cheaper to fly via a third nation than to take ANY risk on losing your boat and paying court costs by sailing in directly.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:44   #102

Quote:

Your implication is that there is some huge loophole about religious activity that will allow someone to go to Cuba. It ain't so. There are lots of exemptions to allow travel but they are not being granted, no matter how big a truck you are driving. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 08-09-2011, 20:34   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldreamin View Post
Lying when returning just seems like asking for trouble.

The US State department tells you what you need to do to travel to Cuba legally at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_seeking out1097.html . If you really want to go to Cuba, I encourage any American interested to follow the procedures outlined there.

I've never really considered it and have no idea how hard it is to get all the required authorizations, but it looks like they'll even let you spend up to the daily per diem rate for lodging, incidentals, and meals.

They say they'll seize anything you try to bring back, but if you really want to see Cuba it seems like you might be able to do it legally and that seems a whole lot less risky than gambling your boat.

Just my thoughts...
There's the link. Wish I knew how to post the link, but I agree with the entire post anyway.

Waterwayguy, have you tried to get a license? If I wanted to go to Cuba (which I don't) I see a hundred ways to skin this cat. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:55   #104

Quote:
There's the link. Wish I knew how to post the link, but I agree with the entire post anyway.

Waterwayguy, have you tried to get a license? If I wanted to go to Cuba (which I don't) I see a hundred ways to skin this cat. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.
I have worked very closely with Commodore Jose Escrich, Head of the Hemmingway Yacht club and head of the Marlin Group, which manages and develops all of the marinas in Cuba. I have recently received an invitation from him to come to Havana and discuss the preparations that are now under way in anticipation of the travel restrictions being lifted. I have been in communications with members of Congress and the State Department for over 8 years regarding the lifting of the travel ban. Oh, and I have been to Cuba legally with my boat. The point I am trying to make and you are missing is that the official State Department requirements for travel are only grant to a very few and under very strict requirements. You can apply for a license all you want for whatever reason is acceptable under the current State Department requirements. But they are not going to grant you permission and you will not be able to go legally without that permission. You can't go to Mexico or the Bahamas and legally go to Cuba if you are U.S. Citizen. There are no legal loopholes for the average citizen and especially if you are trying to go by boat. As I stated previously, I have been directly involved in this issue for years and are not just typing my opinion on a keyboard. HR 4645 has 178 House co-sponsors, while a similar measure in the Senate has 33 co-sponsors.The Bill is also endorsed by the agricultural and travel industry and wide support from the Chamber of Commerce. What else would you like to know? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 09-09-2011, 08:38   #105
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Article in some of today's Tribune chain papers and Florida papers:
400,000 people visited Cuba from the US last year, 500,000 expected this year. "People to people" "relief" and other grounds are being granted to companies that arrange these tours on regular weekly basis, with charter flights from Tampa and FLL now starting up. Miami and several other cities (outside of FL) already have regular charter flights to Cuba.

Not being granted? 400,000 people got granted last year. But you don't apply AS A PERSON you apply for a group, or you join an existing group. Apply as a person and now you have to be examined and questioned and credentialled as a person--and that's a lot of effort for the government, easier to say "No" if you can't bother joining a group that's already had it's purposes approved.

400,000 people in a nation of 300,000,000. That's very roughly what, one in a thousand people, from the entire US population, going to Cuba last year. Doesn't seem very difficult.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote