Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 07:22   #31

Re: Lying when Entering the US

It always amazes me when people on public internet forums advise other people to violate the law. Of course, it's pretty easy to suggest that someone ELSE should break the law, isn't it? After all, it's not your butt that's going to be sitting in jail if they get caught!

I can just imagine the good belly laugh that the folks at Homeland Security will get (as they slap the cuffs on you) when you tell them, "But... but... but... JoePoster on Cruisers Forum said it would be okay! He said people do it all the time and nobody ever gets caught!"

And, of course, your attorney will just LOVE using "the internet told me to" as a defense in court.

SHEESH!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 07:55   #32

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Having grown up in post WW11 America, I've gotten used to the notion that I could travel pretty much anywhere in the world and I would be welcomed, and it amazes me how rude we are to people just like us who happen to have been born elsewhere.
Indeed, I have come to the opinion that freedom of travel is a universal right of all people.
What fundamental right do I have to tell someone born in Albania that they cannot live in New Hampshire if they so choose?
Who really cares?
Where does the USA get the notion that it can tell me I cannot spend my money in Cuba?
Am I completely nuts here?
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:21   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Am I completely nuts here?
Of course you are completly nuts.

China, a few years ago, said the optimum population for China is 750 million people so they were looking at ways of reducing the population from 1.3 billion to 750 million.

Now do you think the USA would still be happy if you took in an extra 550 million people? That would make the population of the USA near 900 million people.... then theres a few hundred million Indians who may want to joing you too..........

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 10:40   #34

Re: Lying When Entering the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert5 View Post
I have a really dumb question and am not trying to break the law, but let's say, I leave out of south florida (being a US citizen).... sail around the Caribbean for a few months... return to a specific marina / harbor (of which I am familiar)... who in the hell would know where I went and better yet, there is no one there to enforce or require any sort of customs form.

so am I confused about something, or are these customs forms that you're talking about voluntary because as far as I know here in the USA, there are no customs gate out in the middle of the waterway to travel through where some US official is going to make me fill out a form before I can enter US water..
There are ports of entry, specified as locations to enter.
In 2000 I returned my boat to FLorida from a long stay in the carribean landing at Fort Pierce. I called Customs, reported my return and requested clearance. They were going to send someone out. No one ever showed and I left it at that. Much later I received a letter with a warning noting that i hadnt cleared in. Before 9/11 when returning to the US from British Columbia, you could jut call and they would give you a clearance number...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 18:21   #35

Quote:
It always amazes me when people on public internet forums advise other people to violate the law. Of course, it's pretty easy to suggest that someone ELSE should break the law, isn't it? After all, it's not your butt that's going to be sitting in jail if they get caught!

I can just imagine the good belly laugh that the folks at Homeland Security will get (as they slap the cuffs on you) when you tell them, "But... but... but... JoePoster on Cruisers Forum said it would be okay! He said people do it all the time and nobody ever gets caught!"

And, of course, your attorney will just LOVE using "the internet told me to" as a defense in court.
Ummm, nobody is going to "slap the cuffs on you" for going to Cuba, Chicken Little. It's not a jailable offense.
capstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 21:58   #36

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by capstan View Post
Ummm, nobody is going to "slap the cuffs on you" for going to Cuba, Chicken Little. It's not a jailable offense.
Do you know why the US has an embargo on Cuba? Do you know which President emposed the embargo?

This is a test.

Answers on request
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 22:05   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Lying When Entering the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Oh yes there is!

Your Big Papa has got the Eye in the Sky and I doubt you could sail a bee's dick into Key West without Uncle Sam's Man knowing all about you.

But don't let me stop you trying
Thats Right...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 22:14   #38

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'

As a Canadian living in America I suppose it is too much to hope I would not be subject to this law? I have to admit that given the chance, I would visit Cuba either way.
ovrmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 22:18   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrmyhead View Post
As a Canadian living in America I suppose it is too much to hope I would not be subject to this law? I have to admit that given the chance, I would visit Cuba either way.
You are OK if you hold a Canadian passport ,and leave and return through another port...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 22:48   #40

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I invite you to read this report before thread drift causes diverse opinions based on misconceptions. without benifit of the facts. Noteable Obama changed the rules.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/15/barack-obama-us-embargo-cuba
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:04   #41

I would like to see Cuba before the doors are fully opened. Once the embargoes are lifted the greed of American companies will destroy Cuba. Anthony Bourdain (No Reservations) just did an episode on Cuba. Since it has been moved up to #1 on the destination list. I don't care if I have to eat my own shoes while I'm there. If you get the Travel Channel (or know how to Torrent) I highly recommended watching it.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Obama has eased a few of the travel restrictions a bit, but US citizens still can't travel legally to Cuba as "tourists". You'll need a General License to go to Cuba, which is still restricted to certain clearly defined categories, e.g., visiting close relative, religious, humanitarian, journalistic, official government business, etc.

From the State Department website:
Quote:
Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.
The Treasury Department is the branch that enforces the embargo. And it applies to non-US citizens leaving or returning to the States. Lots of info here: Cuba Sanctions
Old 01-09-2011, 04:17   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
Obama has eased a few of the travel restrictions a bit, but US citizens still can't travel legally to Cuba as "tourists". You'll need a General License to go to Cuba, which is still restricted to certain clearly defined categories, e.g., visiting close relative, religious, humanitarian, journalistic, official government business, etc.

From the State Department website:

The Treasury Department is the branch that enforces the embargo. And it applies to non-US citizens leaving or returning to the States. Lots of info here: Cuba Sanctions
Where does it says it applied to non US citizens.

It applies to citizens and permanent residents of the US only

Dave
Old 01-09-2011, 04:45   #44

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Do you know why the US has an embargo on Cuba? Do you know which President emposed the embargo?

This is a test.

Answers on request
IKE - Because Castro pissed him off. (But JFK strengthened it)
Old 01-09-2011, 05:49   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Where does it says it applied to non US citizens.
It applies to citizens and permanent residents of the US only
Dave
The opening FAQ from Hud’s link reads:
“To whom do these sanctions regulations apply?
All U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world.”

Cuba Sanctions

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote