Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2019, 06:40   #16

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞
Re: Los Roques safe or not

I suggest you contact venezuelans who are actually using it as a destination. Things are constantly in flux, locals are at the mercy of gov/corrupt/power/aholes who also enjoy the beauty of the place.
Imagine a madmax outpost with raids by a bigger outside faction.
If you're good bribing officials you'll have solvable problems.
Tragically, at the moment, parts of what used to be a national park are being partitioned for development. When previously the whole archipielago was out off bounds of big money.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 11:40   #17

The moment you pull out a wad of cash is the day your life won't be the same. VE authorities put people in jail for just that, then they seize your boat and everything aboard is now theirs. We were last in LaGuaira & Carrabellada Yacht Club last year when the situation was getting tense. Anything that wasn't nailed was stolen - dock fuel pumps were damaged - no one could get any fuel. I had just fueled for 0.01/ltr two weeks before. We had enought to make it to Trinidad - where fuel was 0.13/ltr. There's a lot problems in Trinidad with pirates - has been all the way down to Guyana.
Old 26-12-2019, 15:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadandLolo View Post
We are about to leave Grenada headed for Panama and were going to have the first stop at Los Roques. Just looking for some current information on how safe it is (pirates). We have heard both sides and are aware of what's going on in Venezuela. Some people are saying stay away and some have friends that live there and say its ok no problems. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
We went last year and it was great we also had friends that went two weeks ago and it was still great. Don’t listen to the people on here that just blab their negative crap. Go have fun. Los Roques is hands down the most beautiful place in the Caribbean.
Enjoy.
Paul

SV BellaLuna
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 15:28   #19

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadandLolo View Post
We are about to leave Grenada headed for Panama and were going to have the first stop at Los Roques. Just looking for some current information on how safe it is (pirates). We have heard both sides and are aware of what's going on in Venezuela. Some people are saying stay away and some have friends that live there and say its ok no problems. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
The word I get is that the local population, including the authorities, are bending over backwards in an attempt to make the Los Rocas a great cruising stop despite the turmoil happening in the rest of the country. As they have no natural resources the current regime is interested in, they're riding under the radar so far. While it would be nice to help out a community facing an uphill struggle due to the negative perception of Venezuela these days, I can readily understand the reticence of some to avoid the place.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 15:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider421 View Post
The moment you pull out a wad of cash is the day your life won't be the same. VE authorities put people in jail for just that, then they seize your boat and everything aboard is now theirs.
Thus the experienced briber disclaimer.
I have no experience bribing in non-latin american countries, but as for doing it in Venezuela, I can assure you it's the way things are done (along with some good verbal/social skills). Being there, done that; more than I care to remember. Having said all that, the world is to big to take the risk of going to los Roques. Luckily, I've sailed there twice and hope to do it again before I die.
Old 27-12-2019, 04:26   #21

Bribery seems to be the American way of doing business. I still say to do it in Latam is just asking for trouble. I was born in Panama and I'll be returning there in February. Bribery is frowned upon - shows you want to hide something. Shows weakness on your part. Los Roques is a beautiful part of VE that shouldn't be taken for granted. Eventually all of VE will be free of the tyranny wrought upon it.
Old 28-12-2019, 03:51   #22

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Bribery seems to be the American way of doing business. I still say to do it in Latam is just asking for trouble. I was born in Panama and I'll be returning there in February. Bribery is frowned upon - shows you want to hide something. Shows weakness on your part. Los Roques is a beautiful part of VE that shouldn't be taken for granted. Eventually all of VE will be free of the tyranny wrought upon it.
So when your Uber driver in panama gets pulled over for speeding and the officer tells him "help me help you"(meaning give me some $$$ for no ticket in case your not following here)
Pretty much seems like a Panamanian or Latin American Thing to me.
I love when people blame Americans for their countries corruptness
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 11:15   #23

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
So when your Uber driver in panama gets pulled over for speeding and the officer tells him "help me help you"(meaning give me some $$$ for no ticket in case your not following here)
Pretty much seems like a Panamanian or Latin American Thing to me.
I love when people blame Americans for their countries corruptness
And if your Uber driver is arrested for attempted bribery, are you planning to jump up and say "take me, it was my idea"?

I have been stopped for traffic violations in Mexico. I'm sure bribery occurs sometimes, but charging people with attempted bribery also occurs. I simply pay the fine, which is likely to be less than a bribe anyway.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 16:12   #24

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
And if your Uber driver is arrested for attempted bribery, are you planning to jump up and say "take me, it was my idea"?

I have been stopped for traffic violations in Mexico. I'm sure bribery occurs sometimes, but charging people with attempted bribery also occurs. I simply pay the fine, which is likely to be less than a bribe anyway.
Not sure what your post means, it was the officer saying it to the driver, not me saying anything. The driver said it's normal, it's way cheaper then a ticket, and less paperwork for the officer..
N9t the Norm for the US at all,,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 17:42   #25

We can speculate all you want, when the guardia decides, in Venezuela you'll either pay or pay more.
Please don't compare the current situation in Vzla with anything around the continent; it can't be compared. Most can't fathom the lunacy.
Old 29-12-2019, 11:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post

Did you tell him to speed? I don't think so.
I don't pay bribes to anyone. I have seen it in NYC, Chicago and other larger cities - esp in the building trades and cops.
Old 29-12-2019, 11:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcftampa View Post
We can speculate all you want, when the guardia decides, in Venezuela you'll either pay or pay more.
Please don't compare the current situation in Vzla with anything around the continent; it can't be compared. Most can't fathom the lunacy.

Well, I'll let you know next month when I transit.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:06   #28

Boat: Chapparel Signature 24

We passed thru in late 2018 in stealth mode. Did not clear in. Only spent 2 days there. Yes people were friendly, but officials were reportedly totally corrupt and you would be at their mercy, and the situation is MUCH worse. I was just crew and would have not done it then. If it was my boat, I would DEFINETELY NOT go there.
tomcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcone View Post
We passed thru in late 2018 in stealth mode. Did not clear in. Only spent 2 days there. Yes people were friendly, but officials were reportedly totally corrupt and you would be at their mercy, and the situation is MUCH worse. I was just crew and would have not done it then. If it was my boat, I would DEFINETELY NOT go there.

If FEAR is your factor and always present, you'd better stay home
Old 09-01-2020, 05:54   #30

Quote:
If FEAR is your factor and always present, you'd better stay home
That was a completely unnecessary comment aimed at someone providing very topical, recent, first-hand experience to the OPs question.

If there's one thing I learned flying helicopters in some pretty challenging rescues over the years it's that fear is a healthy emotion. Generally the folks with this kind of attitude are either armchair warrior tough guys or if they truly lack a healthy amount of fear they were eventually the body we recovered.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote