Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2017, 07:20   #1

Looking for Suggestions

Hey all! Novice sailer here looking to upgrade from a lake daysailer to bluewater cruiser. My mates and I (3 of us) are planning to charter a boat for a bareboat sailing experience. Our plan is to all three invest in getting our ASA 103 and 104 this year and embarking late summer early fall of 2018. Our launching point will most likely be Miami or thereabouts.

That being said, were not sure what the best route to take is. What suggestions would you have to get the most enjoyment out of a 5 day cruise to the Carib? Im assuming we wouldnt be able to do much other than the Bahamas but Ive no idea maybe Im wrong. Any suggestions on routes or port of call? Were not super interested in the touristy stuff except maybe a pirate pilgramage to Nassau, but Im honestly looking for any advice to make this a max bang for buck adventure.

Also if anyone has affordable bareboat charter companies they reccommend, Im all ears!
Th_Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 07:46   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Looking for Suggestions

Where to start?!?

Bahamas are not in the Caribbean, the closest access to the Caribbean from Miami is anywhere south of Cuba;

5 days out and back from Miami? You can go to Bimini in 10-12 hours each way, or maybe as far as Grand Bahama at 16-18 hours each way, leaving you a couple of days to spend there. Assuming, of course, that the weather cooperates...

Overall, I think your plan needs a lot of revision, perhaps you should wait until you have a little more experience and can better judge time and distance.

Look into Bluewater Sailing School in Ft Lauderdale, they teach all the ASA courses, ASA105 included passage to Bimini and back, and I think they also have a few older boats that they charter out (or are associated with a company that does).

Good luck, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 08:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have to assume 5 day cruise is a joke or a typo. If you've sailed on a boat surely you know roughly how fast they go. In that in five days, even if you sailed 24/7 out and back without stopping the most you could make would be 250 miles.

Since it's upwind to the Bahamas you would have just enough time to sail by the beach in Nassau, wave at the tourists, turn around and sail back to Miami.

Sailing time, clearing customs in/out of US and Bahamas, five days would give you enough time to maybe spend two days in Bimini before you have to sail back.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 08:24   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

So get your cert and charter a boat to cross the Gulf Stream twice ON A SCHEDULE for your first ocean sail. Nothing will go wrong on that I bet

Why don't you pick on something more reasonable, like getting a charter from a Bahamian or BVI location and join the pack of other charters in much safer waters?
Old 22-08-2017, 09:01   #5

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

Like the guy said "novice sailor here".

I am sure he appreciates the advice but probably would feel a little more encouraged without the sarcasm.

It would be much more helpful and promote sailing in a better light if us newbies could ask the "stupid questions" without getting the condescending responses. All of you experienced sailors out there were newbies at some point. Even if that was asking dad a "dumb" question when you were a youngster. Nobody is born with this knowledge, and we look up to you more experienced sailors for advise and hopefully encouragement.

That being said thank you to those who take the time to answer the questions in as helpful a manor as possible.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 09:22   #6

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I don't think anyone was being particularly sarcastic (maybe just a little); I certainly wasn't being sarcastic at all. It's a little hard to "encourage" a plan that is quite far away from realistic, and I think what was written so far just emphasizes that. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 09:26   #7

Foster, thanks for that, I started thinking this was the wrong place to seek guidance. Ive just had a hard time finding a google maps application for sailing, ye ken? Lol
Evidently the bluewater lot is a much saltier group than the river and lake crews I'm more accustom to....
That being said the information gleaned beyond the sarcasm IS valuble and i do appreciate the time it took to answer such a dumb question....
Old 22-08-2017, 09:27   #8

Pete i appreciated your post, like i said im completely green which is why i came for answers. Thanks for answering the call!