Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 00:11   #1

Boat: s/v Sirius - 1988 Island Packet 27
Long-Term Stay in Palm Beach/Jupiter FL Area

As excited as I am about having my boat and wanting to head out to the Bahamas (and beyond), I've decided that I would be much better off if I spent one year working, living aboard and fully outfitting the boat. If I were to head out now, like I was planning, I feel like I would be rushing it and not fully prepared.

Fortunately the job I am working on will allow me to live anywhere close to a major airport since all of the work will be travel. I know that I want to be as far south as possible (I'm in Jacksonville right now) but don't want to pay outrageous slip prices (read Miami and Ft Lauderdale). Does anyone have suggestions on a good place for a liveaboard in the North Palm Beach or Jupiter area? I've found some that are around $600/month plus electric (I'm about 31' LOA) but also marinas in the same area for $1800/month. I'll probably be heading down that direction in February.

Thanks,
Brandon
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:31   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Palm Beach County area-
I think the only ones that are reasonabule are private houses with docks, but most will not let you live aboard, the price of $600 you qouted seems very good around here or you could anchor out for nothing and save money
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:09   #3

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I dunno about expense, things in that area arent what i would consider cheap. Riviera Beach Municiple is reasonable, but it isn't all that safe, better outfit the boat with a turret if you want to stay there

North Palm Beach Marina, closer to Jupiter, a decent DIY yard nearby is pretty nice, they are expensive and there were some liveaboards there, but I dunno what they charge.

As mentioned, there are some really nice spots to anchor, but if you gotta work all day it can be stressful to leave the boat unattended.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:53   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Latitudes
I did not relize Riveria Beach Marinia was that bad? What makes you say that? Ive never stayed there so I dont know, I have been there many times in the day and it seems nice?
Am I missing somthing?
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14   #5

Hey Brandon

Just south of Plam beach Inlet is Plam Harbor Marina, it's right down town pretty much, close to everything, and there is a trolley service you can take to get to things that are a little to far to walk to. I'm not sure what they charge for year round, I only stayed few nights, but thought it was a pretty cool place. Plam Harbor Marina - 561-655-4757. You should pick up a Florida Cruising Directory if you dont already have one, there very handy.
Drifter2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Palm Harbor Marina: $2.05/ft/day
Formerly known as Old City Docks. Located east of building locally known as the "radiator" for its resemblance to the car engine part.
Entrance: West side of ICW just south of Flagler Memorial Bridge at Red 12.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	palm_harbor_marina_1.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2437  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote