Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 12:35   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Leaving boat in Mindelo, Cabo Verde for winter?

We are considering leaving our boat in Mindelo for approximately three months, late October of this year to January, 2020. We will leave the boat there while we fly back to the US, and then return the second week of January with the intent of crossing to the Caribbean in late January.

I have sent an e-mal to the Mindelo Marina but wanted to solicit opinions here. Anyone have experience at Mindelo, especially in leaving the boat for an extended time?

Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 12:41   #2

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)
Re: Leaving boat in Mindelo, Cabo Verde for winter?

Hi Steve, the marina is relatively safe, at least there is a locked door to prevent unauthorised access. There is a certain swell in the marina so you should ask the marineros to have a look for your vessel. However marina Mindelo is the only possible place to stay in the CV.
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 18:53   #3

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsons View Post
Hi Steve, the marina is relatively safe, at least there is a locked door to prevent unauthorised access. There is a certain swell in the marina so you should ask the marineros to have a look for your vessel. However marina Mindelo is the only possible place to stay in the CV.
Thanks! We appreciate the input.Would you be comfortable leaving your boat for two or three months while you flew home? This is what we are considering.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 23:57   #4

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)

I left my boat for 2 weeks and it worked well. My main concern is that this marina is not protected against the swell. It’s literally open to the sea. There is an German owner so you should talk to him about your thoughts. His name is Lutz Meyer-Scheel and I think he is reliable.

But frankly, there is no alternative between Cape Town and the Canaries and from that point of view it could be worse. Talk with Lutz and see what he can offer.
Cheers
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat