Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 14:46   #1

Boat: Alberg 37 Junk rigged schooner
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - No Anchoring ?

Two years ago I spent a month anchored in Las Palmas (Gran Canaries, Canary Islands). It was a very secure spot just north of the crowded marina by the beach. Some of the boaters I met there practically lived there some being anchored there for over a year.

So I'm about to push of from Ireland in a few days and I saw a reference to boats now being banned from anchoring there. Something about wanting to achieve 'blue flag' status for the beach. So I did some on-line research and can't find any other reference to the ban on anchoring.

It could be true. It might just have been a stated 'intention' that is not in force.

Has anyone been (or is currently at) Las Palmas and can let us know if anchoring is still allowed there or not?

I may stop in at Lanzarote first anyhow. The main harbour there is supposed to be a good place to hang out for a spell. So I've heard.
glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 15:02   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Haven't heard anything about the ban but agree, it's a secure spot. Though cheap marina but as you probably know they kick most people out for the arc in November. You might be interested in this .. Noonsite: Taxes Levied by Marinas in Tenerife and La Gomera which if it carries on is a real shame, la Gomera is a wonderful place. Arricefe in Lanzerote is another very secure spot, though crowded in autumn as is everywhere down there. I never made it to La Graciosa, the little island just north of Lanzarote but everyone I've met who was there raves about the place. Might be worth a visit.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 15:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The anchorage just north of the marina breakwater is excellent. The holding is sand, however you are well protected from ocean swell. You will get swell entering the anchorage from tankers which pass roughly 250metres away. Some long-stay boats will anchor the bow, and then tie the stern to rocks on the breakwall. No one seems to mind, however there is limited space to do so. The anchorage is managed by the marina, and is not free - The cost is roughly 2euros per day, depending on size.
Muelle Deportivo de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

In return for your fee you get the right to use the showers (if you pay a deposit for the key) and the right to bring in your jerries, or the boat itself, and fill up with water.
Some Canary Islands Anchorages — Yacht Mollymawk — The cruising log of the good ship Mollymawk

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:42   #4

OK thanks for the replies. When I stayed at the Las Palmas anchorage in October 2008 I payed 16 euro for 3 / 4 weeks stay - and they seemed happy with that. Don't think I got a shower key though. Don't thin they were working at the time.

So, Gord, can I take it from you that the recent ban on anchoring there is a false rumour?
Old 09-09-2010, 13:17   #5

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
I had some friends there last year in November. They verified the € 2-3 fee for anchoring including shower etcetera.

Hope this helps.... they also anchored on on of the S bays on Graciosa (for free) and liked it.

Have a safe passage!
Old 09-09-2010, 13:25   #6

Thanks, svrodeom, but I'm trying tio find out if the recent ban on anchoring is true of false. I know that people could anchor there in the past. I did.

I also met a fellow there who had anchored there for almost a year without paying a penny. The fee is requested but cannot be enforced.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:42   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
this is what noonsite is reporting

"Anchoring
It used to be possible to anchor in the area north of the marina (with a number of dinghy docks located around the marina). However, as of July 2010 the authorities are moving yachts at anchor in an effort to clean up the port beaches and reach blue flag status."

I wonder is that just close to the beach, If I was you I ring the captianaire in Las palmas, in my experience they are quite approachable. ( or else try the Chandleries on the marina, as several speak good english),

The other key person who knows everything is the guy who runs the little min-market and fueldock on the marina, His name escapes me ( pablo,paulo?), Try contacting the fuel dock by phone.

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:00   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Pretty close. The guys who owns the fuel store eeees Pedro.
JOHN
Old 24-11-2013, 12:24   #9

Boat: Lagoon TPI 42
Re: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria - No Anchoring ?

Forgive me if this topic has been covered in a newer thread, but my search only produced this one.

Now that the ARC is gone, I can sail to Gran Canaria and put some pressure on the sailmaker to fix my Spi, that I tore on my way to Lanzarote (great messenger service between islands). Am in Fuerteventura and jsut looked on the charts for anchorages.

Does anyone have any experience with anchoring on the SW side of the Isleta peninsula? It looks like a very sweet spot, away from big ferries, swell etc. Not the deepest, but currently low tide is +1m, so there's about 1.8 at low tide, granted you should go in at high tide ..

edit: It's Playa de las Canteras. Seems in the pics I found only small fishing boats there. Question is will I be chased away?

I would love to hear from people who have been there or seen boats anchored there!

Thanks!

PS: Gran Tarajal is a really sweet spot. Did not intend to drop the hook here, btu spotted the place on our way south and turned in ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	playa de las canteras.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	70995  
mifi601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, gran canaria, las palmas