Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33   #16

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Re: Key west to west coast

Bought my boat in Florida and am in So Cal. After I got done looking at all the numbers ended up shipping it. Figured it was about a wash cost wise with sailing it (wear and tear on the engine, sails, boat, etc.) and loss of use for an extended time. Loaded in Fort Lauderdale and had it dropped in Ensenada . My cost was relatively high because it is but still made economic sense. Had a friend who shipped a 59' Beneteau by truck from the east coast and she was happy with the results.

Dropping further north would also allow you to enjoy a season cruising the San Juans and Gulf islands without making the run up the coast. Think the ship took about 3 weeks.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 13:14   #17

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I'm planning the same trip very soon from the Atlantic coast of Florida to San Francisco by way of Key West, Dry Tortugas, Havana, Isla, and Roatan, then on thru the canal.

This book is a must read. It will answer pretty much all your questions about weather and sea patterns, best ports to stop in and related customs. Lots of info on the Panama Canal crossing.

Cruising Ports: Florida to California via Panama
by Capt. John E. Rains (Author), Capt. Patricia Miller Rains (Author). I think they are on the 6th edition.

I plan on going south from Panama City to Ecuador and then loop up past the Galapagos and Hawaii and in to SF.

I too was looking for a specific set of requirements for a sailboat and couldn't find what I was looking for on the West Coast so I ended up purchasing in Florida. I looked at multiple options to get her west and in the end decided to do the refit in FL and sail her back.

Good luck,

Jeff
Was doing a refit in Florida a good idea? Where in Florida?
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 16:49   #18

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
Was doing a refit in Florida a good idea? Where in Florida?
Hi sanssouci,

It's been a long, long road on the re-fit but I am almost to a point where I can sail to Roatan to have the final interior finish work done. Mid March is my current goal.

I'm in Titusville right now at Kennedy Point Marina.

In hindsight, bad idea having the re-fit done in Florida. Many bad experiences with contractors to the point I now refer to Florida as "the sunny place for shady people". Poor workmanship, over priced and for the most part completely dishonest marine industry. The conclusion I have come to is that they don't care about repeat business because everyday there is a new crop of potential victims for them to prey on.

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, west coast