Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2009, 15:49   #1

Key West to San Andres Island in 54' Ketch - Advice Please

leaving before sept 10,2009, any and all advise. which is most comfy way to go. speed of curents agains me?? wind against or with me ?? have no electronic charts. just 1 old chart.key west by bahama channel to jamaica and google earth gps after.any cruising guide that covers this trip???
yh4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 18:29   #2

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Fastest Way.
Go to west end of Cuba. Then wait for NE winds and head to Villarios (N15 50.446 W83 19.781) and then a straight shot to San Andreas in any wind.
Quick and neat but you need the charts. You can get them free and a charting program. Print them out for security.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 20:39   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Google Earth? What is that going to do for you? It isn't realtime
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 22:48   #4

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Sometimes I worry about some of these posts

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 12:11   #5

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
Advice? Get a good GPS, Get the appropriate charts. Learn to plan your trip. If you have the means to procure a 54' Ketch, then you should have the means to procure a few charts and a handheld at the very least. Not trying to sound mean, just trying to say that there's no reason one should leave on an offshore trip without the appropriate equipment or knowledge of the route.

This makes me wonder about the condition of the boat, too. The safety equipment on board. Competence of crew, etc.

That said, yes, west end of Cuba, then on to SA. Current in Yucatan channel can get pretty stiff against you headed that way. As far as the wind with or against you - pay attention to the forecasts and time it right. It'll be with you.

John Rains has a very good book covering the trip from FL to Panama, which covers your route as well.

Be careful. Be safe. Do your homework so you make it there in one piece. It's a good ride. Have fun in San Andres - fun place for sure.
Old 05-09-2009, 18:12   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
I hear you. Sometimes I think I obsess too much over route and weather planning -- at least, that's what the Admiral tells me.

But, then I read posts like this one; "God protects..." Neptune, on the other hand, maybe not so much.

I wonder how they're making out.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 18:17   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
You still have 5 days left to buy the correct charts. If you cant find out what the prevailing winds are for that time period and locale, you shouldn't be captaining a cruising boat. Any cruising boat.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
- - I second that thought. But over the decades I have seen too many cases of new folks just wandering off into the oceans with nary a worry about reality. And most of them make it to where they are going, but sometimes it takes quite a while to get there. Sort of OJT - on-the-job-training.
- - One favorite real story from 'way back' before GPS and all that stuff involved a NYC stock broker I met in St Martin. He made his fortune and while wondering what to do read a fancy magazine spread about the Caribbean with lots of photos of sailboats and beaches and bikini women. So he commissioned a new FRG boat to be built to sort of look like a pirate ship and bought a parrot and then set out from NYC "looking for" the Caribbean. After a year of wandering about the Atlantic Ocean and harbors along the way, he made it to St. Martin. By now he was very experienced (very lucky kind of guy).
We met him at Orient Bay in St. Martin at one of the tiki bars and after hearing the story noticed that he never brought his parrot ashore with him. When asked about the parrot which we could see hanging from the boom of his boat in a cage, he kept saying over and over, "can't bring the parrot ashore." Finally, the curiosity go to be too much so a group of us took a dinghy out to the guy's boat and approached abeam. The parrot saw us and started to squawk - (and you know how many times you have to repeat a phrase before a parrot picks it up) "Where the f#%k are we?" over and over. The laughter almost capsized the dinghy.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west