Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 15:20   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Jupiter to Marathon FL with a rookie crew – any and all assistance welcome!

I agree with what is said favoring the Hollywood anchoring in the two lakes; however, without clearance at the 56' MLW Julia Tuttle Bridge (maybe as much as 57.5' outside the lower center blue steel beam) you will have to return north to the Port Everglades inlet at Fort Lauderdale.
Old 15-09-2021, 18:07   #17

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

I day-sailed Hawk Channel from Miami to Key West in order to avoid hitting lobster traps in the dark. I did it in 3 legs, anchoring overnight at Rodriguez Key and then Marathon with the final destination of Stock Island Marina. The sail was amazing with sunny skies and a strong east wind every day. But I do have to agree with capn billl about pushing the distance limits during daylight hours. It was dusk when arriving at each anchorage. Had I known I could get in at Cesar Creek, I would have stopped there instead. Unfortunately my older Navionics chart showed it to be too shallow for my 6ft. draft. Aquamaps shows it to be plenty deep.

VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 07:38   #18

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
Relax. You got this.
Thanks, we will certainly find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Frank View Post
Stay a few miles off shore and you will be fine. The Gulfstream shifts but is typically about 10(?) miles off shore at Palm Beach. You should be able to do those stretches in daylight. Entering everglades inlet and finding anchorage might be the most stressful part. Try to avoid doing this on a weekend for your sanity.

I may be passing by you on my way to Fort Pierce.

Ft Lauderdale should be on the agenda for Friday so hopefully its not as stressful. Thank you for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
We live on Biscayne Bay and we have done the trip a dozen times. There is a south going counter current running opposite the Gulf Stream close to the beach, often delineated by a weed line.

We stay on the 100 ft contour line in sight of the beach.

We sail none stop to No Name Harbor and anchor outside the harbor, fewer mosquitoes, on the south of the route taken by the power boaters. Good holding, sandy bottom in 10ft of water. From Carysfort reef south we pick up the dive and snorkel mooring balls on the outer reef, no charge, a breeze and no mosquitoes.

Enjoy,
Got a picture of where you normally anchor? Where do you sail non stop from for your first stop?

So it sounds like you don't take Hawkschannel on the way down and you're on the outside. Are those reef moorings calm enough to sleep? I would have thought the boat would be rocking out there. At least with a mooring I wouldn't have to stress about the anchor dragging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfetter View Post
We are in North Palm. I'm assuming you'll be coming down from Jupiter on the inside and not braving the inlet. Avoid Peanut on the weekends and be sure to go around on the west side, the current on the east side can be a bear. You may want to anchor past the turning basin vs. close to peanut. Note that there is 1 fixed bridge in Miami that does not conform to the 65' height. It's 54-56, something like that. Our Beneteau 423 has no depth issues with a 6' draft. We recently stayed at Marathon Marina which was recently bought by the Safe Harbor group. Very nice marina...check pricing as we get it for free because we are in a Safe Harbor. Easy in and out as well with no depth issues.
Thank you. We're going to head oceanside to avoid bridges including the one 55' Span at Julia Tuttle Causeway. Then motorsail in Hawks Channel to get calm water and possible snorkel some spots.

That's right! No Jupiter inlet for me. Boat is currently at Jupiter Yacht Club and for the previous 10 years we were at Cypress Island. And I was planning on sailing in the ocean leaving lake worth inlet instead of going south via intracoastal and having to wait for bridges and boat traffic. This boat has been to Marathon marina many times, that is a great spot. We are going to be closer to vaca cut this go around. Never been there by sailboat before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
In Fort Lauderdale another marina to consider is Bahia Mar. It's right on A1A within walking distance to restaurants, bars, and shops. If you choose to go to Lake Sylvia, keep on the East side of the entrance. Seven foot may be a challenge. To keep from pushing against the Florida Current, stay within 60ft of water. Unfortunately you'll not likely find any Mahia Mahia at that depth. No Name Harbor is very crowded on the weekends and music is played loud into the night. Although if you like to dance, the salsa is fabulous. You can refuel at Cranden Park marina on Biscayne if needed. There is a small convenience store there too. Have fun!
Good to know. I will call Bahia Mar. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
You might reconsider Pier 66 if you haven't been in there before. In some ways its a good location, its very near the inlet, but, it is also right after the bridge which likely means holding in a pretty stiff current in a very busy area, waiting for the bridge to open if you don't time things correctly.

Well, you'll have the same wait for all the other marinas too.

But Pier 66 is also very narrow and tight in there and might be a bit tricky (I have no experience if the others are the same).

Finally, Pier 66 is undergoing a complete multi-year reconstruction project and essentially NO facilities are available. No pool, laundry, showers etc. There are portable toilets. Fuel is available as is pump out in your slip.

Good to know. I am going to Call Bahia Mar, doesn't seem too far out of the way and hopefully not too expensive for one night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpridgen View Post
Sounds like a great trip. Some suggestions for novice crew:
  • Make sure you have at least 2 people who will not get seasick
  • Adult beverages can be an issue with novice crew, set some parameters before the party starts
  • Do not navigate by committee
  • Remind everyone to alert you if something doesn't look, feel or sound right
  • Collision avoidance is a good thing, which way to turn is not intuitive to novices

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I made this journey as a novice sailor with a new boat.

I would think about a short shakedown cruise before committing to an extended day sail.

Either a short run out the jetty, put the sails up, and return, or a cruise to the Conch bar, or other nearby anchorage.

A Dead battery, and clogged seawater intake put a monkey wrench into my trip after I already had committed, and made the schedule the next few days chaotic, and rushed.

An overnight will insure the water, and toilets, and batteries are working, and there aren't any last minute maintenance items.

And second, add in some weather days.

Check ahead at your stops to insure there is room.

Pier 66 had ZERO openings when I was there last.

Boat shows, rallies, cruiser clubs, and Bahama flings can pack an anchorage, or marina.

And have a plan B for each day of the trip in case a breakdown, or unexpected storm requires a run for shelter, or spare parts.

Thank you. We have a shakedown cruise planned in 2 weekends. We shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I like michaeld's advice about the Bahia Mar marina instead of Lake Sylvia anchoring. The entrance and even some center areas of Lake Sylvia can be limited with your draft. I would also favor calling the Ft. Lauderdale City Marina for moorings available on the south side of Los Olas Bridge.

Don't expect to be able to anchor on the protected side of Rodriguez Key with any significant wind out of the NE, but this is a fine good weather choice. The best option for anchoring down Hawk's Channel before Marathon will be at the Channel Five bridge where you can choose protection on either side of the bridge. On the "Bay Side", inside from the "Atlantic Side", you can choose between Lower Matecumbe bight and around Fiesta Key.

Channel 5 bridge is quite a bit farther than Lake Rodriguez, I don't think we could make it there in a day. Is channel 5 safe for my draft (7')? I will call the moorings too for FTL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Lake Sylvia was packed when I was there. I ended up going to the Hollywood city marina. There are a couple lakes near there with plenty of anchor room, although 7 ft draft might be sketchy in places.

I anchored in No Name Harbor, good holding, easy to navigate too even at night, plenty of room.

Rodriguez key - Way too ambitious. I spent the next day at Billy's point South Biscayne Bay, (Elliot Key near Adam's Key), and went out Ceaser creek.

Next day Rodrigues key - Not a bad place. Lots of crab traps when I was there.

From Rodrigues key to Marathon in one day is doable with good wind, but I spent a night at Long key, instead of trying non stop.

Easy sail to Marathon Key from Long Key.

This gives you shorter days, and less stress trying to make anchorage before sunset, or trying to find a place to park in the dark.

Sounds like you went inside through biscayne bay? I don't think we can do that with 7' draft. Hollywood city marina seems a bit out of the way but I will keep that in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
I grew up in Jupiter myself. Lost both my parents in Jupiter.

Anyway, I'm a newbe at sailing, after tons of years of Bahamas bound power boats (mostly). We returned from GBI recently, and are headed out again with our sailboat.

JUST went thru installing a new mainsail. So, first advice. Put the sail up a few days before you leave. We had batten length issues. As in, the sailmaker cut a couple too SHORT....You may find some other issues too. Don't be in a mad rush...

on the way down: Second advice. Avoid going thru Boca inlet, but Lake Boca this time of year is, well, survivable. Just got back from Cudjoe Key, but no particular advice for the lower keys, other than, there are still some lobster there.
The dolphin are in the GS, so forget that when southbound...

Get the basics working, nav lights, bilge pumps, the head, chartplotter with details of where you are headed. U will be fine....

Oh, I hope ur airdraft number includes the little skinny things on top. Have you seen the Southern Blvd bridge lately?

Sorry for your loss. Not much to say other than it really frigging stinks. Both sails were test fit with me and the NS sales rep when they were delivered. I think they are good. Sent pics to my Dad and he was thrilled. I think we are ok there. We will be oceanside so no worries with Southern Blvd and Boca inlet. Probably makes sense to stick in shallow water and not fight the gulfstream on the way down right? Sure would like to troll some baits for a mahi or tuna for entertainment. Where do you keep your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
This part here is going to make the trip adventurous........

I won't add to much, other than to say, if you should need to go into Boot Key Harbor, do not go into Sisters Creek with that draft.

Yeah it's a bit daunting that's for sure. We're not heading that far down and will be stopping in Vaca cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Bahia Mar is probably the most expensive marina in Ft. Lauderdale. Also look into Las Olas city marina. Hollywood city Marina, Coolies Landing. I know people like Lake Sylvia, but North lake in Hollywood has an anchorage that you can drop the hook for a few days without getting bothered. It shows shallow water on the charts but far bigger mono hulls with deeper draft anchor there a lot.
I'll give those marinas a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I agree with what is said favoring the Hollywood anchoring in the two lakes; however, without clearance at the 56' MLW Julia Tuttle Bridge (maybe as much as 57.5' outside the lower center blue steel beam) you will have to return north to the Port Everglades inlet at Fort Lauderdale.
I think so too. Bahia Mar/Lake Sylvia/ Las Olas City marina seem like a better bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post
I day-sailed Hawk Channel from Miami to Key West in order to avoid hitting lobster traps in the dark. I did it in 3 legs, anchoring overnight at Rodriguez Key and then Marathon with the final destination of Stock Island Marina. The sail was amazing with sunny skies and a strong east wind every day. But I do have to agree with capn billl about pushing the distance limits during daylight hours. It was dusk when arriving at each anchorage. Had I known I could get in at Cesar Creek, I would have stopped there instead. Unfortunately my older Navionics chart showed it to be too shallow for my 6ft. draft. Aquamaps shows it to be plenty deep.

The biscayne bay side of Cesar creek seems too shallow but are you saying to just stay on the atlantic side for an overnight campout? And add a stop between NNH and rodriguez key?

Also, already had watched your video when I first started researching the trip!
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 08:18   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380

We keep our cat behind the house. Currently on way to abacos. It will be a few days to arrive.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 17:26   #20

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

The biscayne bay side of Cesar creek seems too shallow but are you saying to just stay on the atlantic side for an overnight campout? And add a stop between NNH and rodriguez key?

Also, already had watched your video when I first started researching the trip![/QUOTE]

Yes, from the Atlantic side.
Haven't done it but it looks deep and well protected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cesar Creek.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	245432  
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 18:04   #21

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

A small correction, I didn't anchor at No Name, I went around the corner to Key Biscayne Bight.

And Yes I went in Biscayne Bay at Stiltsville (North Biscayne Channel), and out at Clear Creek.

A second look at Clear creek the entrance is 5-6 ft, you can only use it at a HIGH tide. the rest of the channel is over 7ft. Most of Biscayne bay is deep enough if you follow the intercoastal line.

The rest of the trip I was outside because of mast height, and my bridge allergy.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 11:47   #22

Two weeks out and already stressed!

Entrance to Vaca seems really tight for my draft so I want to plan it with the lower high tide at around 1pm. Any good anchorages between Rodriguez and Marathon?
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Old 21-09-2021, 12:48   #23

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post

Entrance to Vaca seems really tight for my draft so I want to plan it with the lower high tide at around 1pm. Any good anchorages between Rodriguez and Marathon?
Indian Key in settled weather or Jewfish Hole north of Long Key - sail under the bridge through Channel 5 and give the shoals to port a wide berth.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 13:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishel View Post
Indian Key in settled weather or Jewfish Hole north of Long Key - sail under the bridge through Channel 5 and give the shoals to port a wide berth.
Channel 5 bridge seems doable with our air draft but what do you think about 7' water draft? How about just W of the channel leading up to the bridge?
Old 21-09-2021, 14:01   #25

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Channel 5 bridge seems doable with our air draft but what do you think about 7' water draft? How about just W of the channel leading up to the bridge?
Most draft I’ve taken under the Channel bridge is 5’ 7”, charts show 7’ or better so hard to say. I’ve never anchored southwest of the bridge but have seen boats anchored there. Channel 5 can be a nasty place in a south wind.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 14:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishel View Post
Most draft I’ve taken under the Channel bridge is 5’ 7”, charts show 7’ or better so hard to say. I’ve never anchored southwest of the bridge but have seen boats anchored there. Channel 5 can be a nasty place in a south wind.

Thank you so much for the help. Much appreciated. Rather be safe than comfortable so I'll access the situation when we get there.
Old 21-09-2021, 15:54   #27

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:

?

Non owner Crew tend not to accept stress, as long as they see land. From my experience[emoji51]
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew