Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 16:57   #1

July Bareboat trip--AC? Yes or No?

We'll be headed out for our first bareboat trip to BVI's in late July with 3 year old. I've received mixed opinions about whether AC generator is a must? We're from South Carolina where there's NO air and humidity is high! Can't imagine being on a boat with temps as high as they get here. Any advice? Currently looking at 45 ft monohull that has fans in staterooms--late July trip. First bareboat trip--a bit nervous.
bevyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 18:32   #2
Old Salts

One option is to buy a 3 speed box fan there, and bring an inverter to power it.

I lived on my sailboat in Ft. Lauderdale and used a box fan for sleeping at night. Not only did it keep me cool but it kept the mosquitos away.
Old 11-06-2006, 16:16   #3

A/C for Virgins..

If you plan to anchor out or take moorinngs...fans will be all you need and most boats have them. If you plan to take nights at the dock in harbors then you can lose the breeze and need the A/C or a bigger fan as suggested. We were there once in August and never felt the need.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 04:41   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
The adults should do well enough with just fans. My concern would be the comfort and happiness of the 3 year old. If he/she is used to AC at home, he/she will probably be very uncomfortable without it on the boat. An unhappy/cranky 3 year old aboard seems IMHO certain to make a miserable cruise.

For the few extra bucks, get the AC. If you are comfortable without it, turn it off. Measured against the total cost of travel, charter, and provisioning, the AC is a small percentage.

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 07:16   #5

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53 feet - DoodleBug
Unhappy Granola and Heineken

We agree with “Sunspot Baby”. Our experience has been that if you are at anchor or at a mooring, you have to charge the batteries anyway. You delay charging until suppertime. Then fire up the generator and A/C for a couple of hours. The cook gets to prepare supper in air-conditioned comfort (you are then more likely to eat real food rather than the sailor’s traditional diet of granola bars and Heineken). Since cruiser “mid-night” is 9:00 p.m. you can shut down the generator and put the kids to bed in the comfort of a “cooled down” boat. Chances are that it will now have cooled off “outside” and cabin fans will do the job for the rest of the night.
Ed Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 07:56   #6

I did a week over fourth of July last year. I wish we'd have had air and a genset. Keeping the hatches open and getting woken up by the night time shower sucks. Keeping the hatches closed is realy stuffy.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 14:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
what Ed, Pat & sunspot all said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat