Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 21:34   #1

Jamaica

Anyone ever cruise Jamaica?
Can you explore all the coastal anchorages?

The Yachtsman's Guide to Jamaica with Sections on Sportsfishing and Scube - Diving (2nd Edition)

by John (1932-1988) Lethbridge

Spiral, 176 Pages, Published 2000
murraymint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 21:02   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Jamaica

We cruised from Port Antonio to Negril stopping in Montego Bay, Oracabessa, & Ocho Rios in between.

Its a beautiful island, but getting pretty bad culturally ashore. We did not enjoy that aspect of Jamaica and the resulting hassles ashore.

YMMV, as may the opinion of others here, but I was happy to leave it in my wake.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 21:21   #3

Boat: Custom 55

It's been quite a while since I sailed there, but I don't think much has changed overall, based on current reports.

I think it's the worst Caribbean island we've ever visited, and we've been to many. The aggressive hassling by the vendors and drug dealers is incredibly over the top. No fun at all, if you ask me. It's the only place I've ever been threatened with a 9mm bullet to the brain for politely declining to buy weed.

I'd give it a pass.
Old 13-11-2018, 05:02   #4

Boat: Oyster 55

Agree strongly with above posts.
Tragically a very beautiful island that has become increasingly dangerous.
I lived in Jamaica for 4 years in the late 70's. It was dangerous then and it has only become worse. I have witnessed some horrible crimes there however I was never personally harmed.
I did go back a few years ago when we sailed into Port Antonio while bringing my boat up from Curacao to the Cayman's. Had a great time.
If you still have the desire to go then suggest staying at the Marina in Port Antonio and they can hook you up with a van driver to see some of the scenery and experience the culture in a safer way. Take day trips and your boat will be safe.
The marina is gated and great people run it who are very helpful.
Otherwise there are many other islands to visit.
Wishing you a safe journey.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 06:34   #5

I didn't like Jamaica either. Beautiful island, but very aggressive people. Never felt physically threatened, but constantly harassed and followed. Unless you like chicken jerk and french fries, food was not best. Port Antonio is a long taxi ride to Kingston airport.
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 00:26   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Agree strongly with above posts.
Tragically a very beautiful island that has become increasingly dangerous.
I lived in Jamaica for 4 years in the late 70's. It was dangerous then and it has only become worse. I have witnessed some horrible crimes there however I was never personally harmed.
I did go back a few years ago when we sailed into Port Antonio while bringing my boat up from Curacao to the Cayman's. Had a great time.
If you still have the desire to go then suggest staying at the Marina in Port Antonio and they can hook you up with a van driver to see some of the scenery and experience the culture in a safer way. Take day trips and your boat will be safe.
The marina is gated and great people run it who are very helpful.
Otherwise there are many other islands to visit.
Wishing you a safe journey.
We enjoyed our stay at Port Antonio too, but once you step outside that security fence its a whole different world.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 02:49   #7

Even within Port Antonio marina there were "interesting" people lurking around. The "Mango Man" would paddle up to boats on a bamboo raft selling bananas, mangos....., and asking for cigarettes, money..... pretty aggressive fellow. Then there's the two rasta-man guys that would wait for us by the gangway and follow us around town every single day. 24/7 gospel preaching (amplified) in the town square, starting at 5:30am till 10:30pm. Couldn't wait to leave Jamaica.
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 03:42   #8

Boat: MacGregor 26

Jamaica is our happy place to visit on vacation. Stay out of major cities and you’re fine. Negril is incredible. I would not walk the streets in Montego Bay or Kingston however, especially after dark.

Beautiful country and people
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 04:27   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
Jamaica is our happy place to visit on vacation. Stay out of major cities and you’re fine. Negril is incredible. I would not walk the streets in Montego Bay or Kingston however, especially after dark.

Beautiful country and people
Was that at a resort? Because vacationing somewhere via a resort and via a cruising boat are a WORLD apart.
Old 15-11-2018, 04:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Even within Port Antonio marina there were "interesting" people lurking around. The "Mango Man" would paddle up to boats on a bamboo raft selling bananas, mangos....., and asking for cigarettes, money..... pretty aggressive fellow. Then there's the two rasta-man guys that would wait for us by the gangway and follow us around town every single day. 24/7 gospel preaching (amplified) in the town square, starting at 5:30am till 10:30pm. Couldn't wait to leave Jamaica.
I do hope those gospel preachers are making some headway.

Again quite a tragedy. Of course not surprisingly the politicians in the late 70's pitted Jamaican against Jamaican. Gang warfare became rampant with a lot of innocent people being killed. Ironically I personally enjoyed many classical concerts given by the Jamaican school of music, art shows from around the world, to this day the best Baked Alaska I have ever eaten was at a restaurant in the mountains above Kingston. I also love Jerk Chicken, Rice and Pea, Fish Stew. and Roti etc. You could take day trips up in the mountains above the cloud line where gigantic fern like trees grew and when the clouds parted you could see lush green fertile valleys below. Back then I crewed on a 40 foot boat out of the Yacht Club in Kingston and we would race about 30 miles down the coast to an idyllic harbor where one of the members owned a large plantation house and we would all go there for a lovely dinner then sail back to Kingston the next day.......but the political wars continued. Then Jamaica went through a tremendous brain drain and most who were either educated or had the ability left the island. Land and houses could be purchased for pennies on the dollar. I still have fond memories of Jamaica and it's people for what Jamaica was, not what it has become.
Old 15-11-2018, 05:14   #11

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Was that at a resort? Because vacationing somewhere via a resort and via a cruising boat are a WORLD apart.
I realize that.

Mainly resort experience, but we’ve walked the public roads in Negril during the day and found the people to be pleasant and not threatening. Been to public beaches also. As I said, it all depends on where you are.

Jamaica is beautiful. We have spent about eight weeks there . There are beautiful people in Jamaica. I totally agree there are places you should not go. I would never go to Many places in Chicago, Detroit, DC, LA, Houston, St Louis, etc.

Just trying to make sure the entire country is not being maligned, as it appears in the above posts.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 06:05   #12

Boat: Privilege 435

With an average of almost 2,000 murders a year, Jamaica has had one of the highest murder rates in the world for many years, according to United Nations estimates.[2] Former Prime Minister P. J. Patterson described the situation as "a national challenge of unprecedented proportions".[3]
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:45   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I spend a lot of time in Port Antonio.
You can explore all the coastal anchorages, but you are required to get a customs coastwise permit which (technically) requires you to check in and out in each port.
Must be all the cruising boats that come didn't read all the negative posts here. A vast majority I've spoken to like it. For some it is the highlight of their cruising.
But don't go if you hate:
different cultures
a vibrant street scene
spicy food
loud music
super cheap ganja
mountains and jungle
beautiful women
engaging characters
Michael Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:49   #14

It's really a sad state of affairs. Jamaica could be a tourist mecca. Instead it plays second fiddle to places like St. Martin, the BVI, and so on. It has enough natural resources to support significant industry. By all accounts it SHOULD be one of the wealthiest of all of the Caribbean nations.

But it is not. On the contrary, it is one of the poorest. And that is due almost entirely to the fact that the nation seems to be incapable (or unwilling) to do anything about the extensive crime problems.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 18:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
It's really a sad state of affairs. Jamaica could be a tourist mecca. Instead it plays second fiddle to places like St. Martin, the BVI, and so on. It has enough natural resources to support significant industry. By all accounts it SHOULD be one of the wealthiest of all of the Caribbean nations.

But it is not. On the contrary, it is one of the poorest. And that is due almost entirely to the fact that the nation seems to be incapable (or unwilling) to do anything about the extensive crime problems.
You are right however not as easy as it seems.
The South American drug cartels have infiltrated Jamaica and the Jamaican Defense Force is way out numbered when it comes to weapons.
I have been told stories where all they can do is to sit idly by while the drug planes are loading and unloading.
Is it true? Probably
Add to this rampant political corruption and you have an environment that makes it very difficult to succeed.
Anyway that doesn't fully explain the Jamaican mentality and the way they treat tourist but somewhere in this soup of missed opportunities lies desperation and the need to feed yourself and family.
If one takes the time to travel in Jamaica and get away from the tourist spots you will find some of the most genuine and kind people you will ever meet.
Again a true tragedy.

Tags
Jamaica