Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02   #391
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: In Prison in St Lucia

Quote:
Bottom line? If they want the protections available under "the rules", first they have to sign them and comply with them. Homicide bombers and hijackings won't be allowed under those rules. Decisions, decisions...
ohh dont get me wrong I,m all in favour of fighting back tough, dont just try and lecture me as the good guy all the time.

As to Geneva conventions , NO, once you sign up you are bound , irrespective of the otehr side

heres a bit from Wikipedia ( usual caveats apply) thats sums it up

"After Bush political appointees at the US Office of Legal Counsel, Department of Justice advised the Bush administration that the Guantanamo Bay detention camp could be considered outside U.S. legal jurisdiction, military guards took the first twenty captives to Guantanamo on January 11, 2002. The Bush administration asserted that detainees were not entitled to any of the protections of the Geneva Conventions. Ensuing U.S. Supreme Court decisions since 2004 have determined otherwise and that the courts have jurisdiction: it ruled in Hamdan v. Rumsfeld on June 29, 2006, that detainees were entitled to the minimal protections listed under Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions.[4] Following this, on July 7, 2006, the Department of Defense issued an internal memo stating that prisoners would in the future be entitled to protection under Common Article 3"

Gitmo was established to evade US and Geneva Convention issues ( actually specifically becuase there was no war, the people fighting the US are actually civilians!)SCOTUS ruled otherwise , exposing the weakness of the Bush Administrations decision ( amongst many in that regard!)

dave
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12   #392
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yes, by all means, the US Supreme Court. Which usually rules 5-to-4 on any issue, indicating that what they say is so clear, is also totally wrong from half their viewpoints. The courts create public policy and the government usually does best by following it.

Of course, they've also ruled that NY's Long Island is in fact a peninsula, not an island. Literally, because there are so many fixed bridges and tunnels connecting to it, and in order to qualify it as not being an island, for some transportation related quirks.

But as any geographer can tell you, courts can be wrong. Even before they reverse themselves.

No signatory, no sovereign, no Marquis of Queensbury rules. For better or worse, that's the way it does eventually go. The Johadis have nothing to complain about: They've already won the war.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50   #393
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm still waiting to find a guilty man in prison.
Then you haven't looked very hard.
Old 01-04-2013, 13:27   #394

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
SNIP

The widely held belief of the cruisers who enjoy Rodney Bay, St. Lucia year after year is that the dead man's wife was on the boat at the time of the visit.

Terrible of me to report that rumour, but it does seem appropriate to share it. Was it posted in the portion of the threads I passed up?
First time I have seen this. So far the dead man's description has been as a known drug dealer and some what petty thief.

I am not sure what type of records St. Lucia keeps but it should be fairly simple to find out if the dead man was married at least. Local custom varies concerning marital fidelity and I have little knowledge of what goes on in St. Lucia. Any additional information about what the local custom is.
Old 01-04-2013, 15:19   #395
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
The widely held belief of the cruisers who enjoy Rodney Bay, St. Lucia year after year is that the dead man's wife was on the boat at the time of the visit.

Terrible of me to report that rumour, but it does seem appropriate to share it. Was it posted in the portion of the threads I passed up?
Not mentioned before - cheers , it should give this thread a few more pages .
Old 01-04-2013, 17:43   #396
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Obviously the mythological wife is the smartest one in the bunch. The only one who hasn't been mentioned as interviewed by, or of interest to, the police.

Seems unlikely.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23   #397
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Wife nearly killed hubby and tossed him over the side, hubby dies; cruiser takes the rap.

Almost perfect crime
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-04-2013, 01:36   #398
Armchair Bucketeer

If true (albeit sounds like idle gossip!) then Eric has a few problems - as even if she not an eyewitness then adds "complexity" to the story.........

Lets hope she was good. or very very bad!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:43   #399
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
First time I have seen this. So far the dead man's description has been as a known drug dealer and some what petty thief.

I am not sure what type of records St. Lucia keeps but it should be fairly simple to find out if the dead man was married at least. Local custom varies concerning marital fidelity and I have little knowledge of what goes on in St. Lucia. Any additional information about what the local custom is.
the term "wife" in st.lucian slang refers to any woman that a st.lucian man is currently having sexual relations with,not nessacarily married to or living with.

many men have multiple "wifes",who are refered to "the mother of my children",once children come into the equation.

under st.lucian law,common law wifes and illegitamate children have similar rights to legitimate children and wives.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19   #400
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
the term "wife" in st.lucian slang refers to any woman that a st.lucian man is currently having sexual relations
Interesting, in most of the developed world its the exact opposite !!!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28   #401
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Interesting, in most of the developed world its the exact opposite !!!
most of the developed world only has a history of "wage slaves"!,

unlike the caribean islands where you only have to go back a few generations to find emancipated slaves,whalers,plantation owners and shipwrecked sailors in the gene pool.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36   #402

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Obviously the mythological wife is the smartest one in the bunch. The only one who hasn't been mentioned as interviewed by, or of interest to, the police.

Seems unlikely.
Nice catch. The LEOs might be in the dark about this, but more likely your assessment that she does not exist is correct.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53   #403
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: In Prison in St Lucia

Seem to vaguely recall mention of a woman and dog on board at the time around 350 + posts back...
Can't be bothered looking tho'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05   #404

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

I feel sorry for the dog. The rest, I can't say. But the dog is surely innocent and likely suffering more than the rest.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:09   #405

Boat: Lavranos 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I feel sorry for the dog. The rest, I can't say. But the dog is surely innocent and likely suffering more than the rest.
Better being a lonely dog on a boat (isn't it what most of us are?), than a white man in a black people jail in a country so small that you surely have some cousin of the 'victim' in this prison...
Closed Thread