Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 11:35   #316

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: In Prison in St Lucia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
seems on this thread people are generally assuming the guy didn't do anything wrong

we still know nothing really, but I have this feeling that once the details are known things are going to change
IF... The guy in jail was aboard his boat...

AND, the other guy came aboard with intention to harm him....

THEN... I hope he gets off.

There, I hope that is ok.
Old 17-02-2013, 13:41   #317

Boat: PETERSON 44
Any word in this case?
Old 18-02-2013, 00:19   #318

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft

I searched news after the last trial which should have occurred on January 18th, but found nothing so far.
Old 18-02-2013, 04:46   #319
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Trial is in June, isnt it? Wont hear much before.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by weto View Post
A "fight" on board his boat with another human that snuck onto his boat w/o his permission! The rest of what you said was based on yours or somebody else's opinion. Makes my point, thanks.
It may be that this "snuck onto his boat w/o his permission" is one of the facts in question.

I've read enough newspaper articles about things I have done, that I barely recognized as being me when I read them, to figure there is probably a lot more to this story, either good or bad.

I hope it works out for him if he is innocent.
Old 27-03-2013, 14:36   #321

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

The "murdered" man was on the deck of Sommers yacht when Sommer came on deck. The "murder" victim would not explain what he was doing aboard (he was a known drug pusher) words became loud, a fight ensued and the victim fell in the bay and swam away to shore as the boat he came with sped away with the accomplice. The victim was not a good swimmer but he made it the 200 yards to shore. Police came and the 'victim" died. What he died of is not told.

The "murderer" had returned below and was unaware of the commotion on shore. Police came aboard and arrested Eric Sommer. That was May 12 2012. He is still waiting in jail and the hearing scheduled for April was just pushed back, "missing document".

You call this a civilized justice?

Personally I plan to stay away from this 156,000 person country island where you are often attacked and robbed. Justice it seems is not on your side here.
Old 27-03-2013, 14:46   #322

Boat: Mac 26X
That sounds like the same info we had, but never substantiated. Can you offer new info or at least a link to this account of the happenings?
Old 27-03-2013, 14:52   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
That sounds like the same info we had, but never substantiated. Can you offer new info or at least a link to this account of the happenings?
Eric, ce Cagnois en prison à l'autre bout du monde | Nice-Matin
Old 28-03-2013, 08:01   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTanned View Post
The "murdered" man was on the deck of Sommers yacht when Sommer came on deck. The "murder" victim would not explain what he was doing aboard (he was a known drug pusher) words became loud, a fight ensued and the victim fell in the bay and swam away to shore as the boat he came with sped away with the accomplice. The victim was not a good swimmer but he made it the 200 yards to shore. Police came and the 'victim" died. What he died of is not told.

The "murderer" had returned below and was unaware of the commotion on shore. Police came aboard and arrested Eric Sommer. That was May 12 2012. He is still waiting in jail and the hearing scheduled for April was just pushed back, "missing document".

You call this a civilized justice?

Personally I plan to stay away from this 156,000 person country island where you are often attacked and robbed. Justice it seems is not on your side here.
Is this what the investigation revealed, or is this the defendant's statement? I know they often are not the same, hence the reason we have trials.

And, a lot of people are shocked to find out how much harsher the criminal justice system is, than in America. We do have about the softest system in the world. Try being an illegal alien in most countries besides the US for instance, and see what happens.
Old 28-03-2013, 11:34   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Is this what the investigation revealed, or is this the defendant's statement? I know they often are not the same, hence the reason we have trials.

And, a lot of people are shocked to find out how much harsher the criminal justice system is, than in America. We do have about the softest system in the world. Try being an illegal alien in most countries besides the US for instance, and see what happens.
We are getting away from the subject but you call soft a justice system that still has the death sentence? I do not think people in the developed world consider your country's justice "soft" on the contrary.
Old 28-03-2013, 12:09   #326

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

One incident--and you judge a country by it? I guess I better not send my grandchildren, who live in Connecticut, to school there Huh?
Old 28-03-2013, 12:20   #327
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Scheduling a trial on a murder within 12 or 13 months of the date of the offence is actually much quicker than in many countries, including my own, Canada. It is also not unusual for a person who ia a non-resident of a country and who has no substantial connection with the country to be denied bail on serioius charges - they are a much greater flight risk.

Brad
Old 28-03-2013, 14:03   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Scheduling a trial on a murder within 12 or 13 months of the date of the offence is actually much quicker than in many countries, including my own, Canada. It is also not unusual for a person who ia a non-resident of a country and who has no substantial connection with the country to be denied bail on serioius charges - they are a much greater flight risk.

Brad
As I understand Eric Sommer has not yet seen a judge no preliminary hearing. English style justice here.) This has been postponed 4 times. His father came from Europe every time and was allowed to stay one month and to see his son in prison once a week. Very little is known and I could find nothing in the St Lucia papers.

You judge me by assuming "one time" I have been in this region since 1995. This is not the first "incident".

Yachties have been chased out of every good anchorage in St Lucia. Rodney Bay with a strong northeaster will make even catamarans uncomfortable. To moor you must now pay a marina. Either in the lagoon or in Marigot. It is not the worse island in the region unless you are jailed for months (almost one year in this case) without any possibility of bail or hearing.

The risk of attack is high so if you cannot defend and protect yourself, yes it becomes intolerable.
Old 28-03-2013, 14:41   #329
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Any of you guys want some opinions on the quality of justice in "civilized" nations, try asking Amanda Knox about Italy.

Justice can be miscarried anywhere, all over the world.

And here in the US a man had a heart attack last week, what was it 48 hours after his wrongful conviction was overturned and he got out of 23? years in prison?
Old 28-03-2013, 15:03   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Any of you guys want some opinions on the quality of justice in "civilized" nations, try asking Amanda Knox about Italy.

Justice can be miscarried anywhere, all over the world.

And here in the US a man had a heart attack last week, what was it 48 hours after his wrongful conviction was overturned and he got out of 23? years in prison?
Canada has a whole raft of them.

Canada's wrongful convictions - Canada - CBC News
Closed Thread