Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 13:23   #16

Boat: bare boat charter world wide
Re: Ideas for Charter if BVIs don't work out

We also had a charter planned, may 2018, but not booked with Conch Charters in the BVI, but I have had previous experience with hurricane Iniki Kauai, Hi, and two typhoons while in the service. We are going to let our BVI sailing vacation # 17, slide until 2019,

We checked out other Caribbean destinations, already sailed the Abacos, The BVI, French West Indies ( St, Martin, Anguilla and St. Barts ) and the Windwards and Grenadines. ( St, Lucia, Bequia, Tobago Keys , Palm Island , etc, down to Petite St. Vincent and return ).

After looking at the other Caribbean islands, we thought about just standing clear of the whole area. Now that is us, other posters have great suggestions.

We started exploring options.

For a sailing vacation, what would appeal to us. Maybe to you.

TAHITI: ( leeward islands minimum 10 days of sailing ) Riatea, Taha'a, Bora Bora, and Huanhine. Only one 25 mile long passage Taha'a
to Bora Bora. Easy passage, but you have to 100% indentify the passage thru the reef. And the passage from Riatea to Huahine. Maybe add in a day or two for land lodgings and also land lodgings on Moorea.....ferry or air from Tahiti Island. ( probably 2 weeks plus or so total with travel )

( we have sailed Tahiti four different times and it is magical. )

Well, after all the sailing vacation planning , and expectations, we made a totally different choice of 2018 vacation. Our sailing fix will have to be local coastal sailing here in southern calif. waters.

We lived on Kauai island for ten years, and miss our island and the people very, very much. So, we have made reservations for a three week land based visit back to Kauai, the Garden Island. This trip will be june timeframe. More sunshine, before hurricane season .

Many of us are in the same boat, but if the charter company will allow you to sail out of other basis, highly recommend Tahiti.

Manuia ( cheers )

Denny and Erica
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 15:36   #17

Thanks. Great information. We have a reservation with Conch charters. They were great to work with last year and we get a repeat offenders discount that is nice. Keeping fingers cross on Conch. You got my interest with Tahitti.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 04:19   #18

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Great,

For 34 years or more, we have been sailing the BVI, moorings and sunsail. the next trip will be number 17 for the BVI, that is how much we love sailing those islands.

Our last two sailing vacations were with Conch Charters, and we absolutely love em. Just the two of us one the Jeanneau 36i 's.

As to helping with the recovery we have sent off a healthy donation to the recovery fund, thru Sam Branson. Our hearts were aching for the people of the BVI. It was pretty emotional seeing the video of virgin gorda, and the other videos and still photos of the other islands and the results of Irma.

Fair winds and following seas......

Denny and Erica
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:01   #19

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahtcha View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I feel Ike I should wait a couple of months to see whether the charter company has a boat. Timing is tricky. You mentioned Grenada, which I like a lot. Any thoughts on the Grendines?
I have done the Grenadines several times. We start in Grenada and sail north to Bequia. Takes two days and wind is hard on the nose. Then you can lollygag back down and make sure you visit Tobago Cays for 2 nights.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:48   #20

I've done five charters (incl. three high school marine bio trips) with Conch, a family business. They're working hard to get back to operations and definitely worthy of support, as is the entire BVI community. If they're up and running for your charter, sailing the BVI with fewer boats around would be great, perhaps like in the 80's when I first chartered there.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 18:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
However, I suspect an issue thats going to crop up soon is alternative destinations are going to book up fast. So, I would move early.
I think you're right about that. We booked a Windward charter a few months ago and there was plenty of availability. When I looked again just a few days ago there were barely any boats available. Glad we booked when we did - though I hope it isn't so crowded that anchoring become a contact sport. I'm sure some of the bookings would have been made regardless, but I also bet that a lot of people who were going to other islands are now heading farther south.

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 11:05   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Lucia 40

Our Vessel and many others will be available to you at BVI Yacht Charters in Tortola. Here is the link ...

BVI Bareboat Catamarans - BVI Yacht Charters
Skyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:55   #23

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

I love the Grenadines. Sailing conditions are a bit more rough then the BVI's but it's pretty straight forward. Lots of nice islands with each it's own spirit.
You do have to make do with boat boys. But all the want is a little buisness. Negotiate and talk to them and they will be pleasant.
I will be sailing there this march....again.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter