Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 09:09   #31

Re: ICW & Open Water Sailing - Mast Height

I have an Alpha 42 cat which has a mast height of 63' and I have gone under several ICW bridges very happily. As it happens this boat is for sale. It is currently in Fort Lauderdale if you were in taking a look. It is set up with 4 cabins and 2 heads & two showers. New Yanmar 40hp engines. Built in 2014. Full Furuno electronics, Generator and A/C. Feel free to call me on 917 543 9998 if you are interested.

cheers

Jamie
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:45   #32

We have a Leopard 47 and had the mast cut to 63’ AWL with less than 4 percent loss in performance (sail was cut by Mack Sails and squared at the top like most new cat sails are made). Acceptable loss in my mind given we have a choice of paths to follow if the weather isn’t cooperating offshore. We have traveled the ICW from Norfolk to Key West and cleared all bridges although there are some challenges with tide and such (Wilkerson comes to mind as does Morehead City) but we got through. There is the one bridge near Miami that is 56’ but that is an easy offshore workaround. If you like your boat it is less expensive the cut the mast than to sell and replace it.
Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 18:33   #33
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
The ICW stand bridge height from Norfolk, VA mile 1 to the end is 65’ mean high water. That is not by USCG but by US Army Corps of Engineers.

I live in Beaufort, NC and a new bridge was just opened last year to replace a draw bridge. While it is not technically on the ICW it was designed by the US Army Corps of Engineers and is 65’.

When picking a boat with enough clearance keep in mind 2 things. The first is many newer boats have an array of lights and antennas at the top of the mast therefore extending the top of the mast by as much as 2-3’.

And where is the end?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 19:10   #34

Boat: Beneteau 48

I know this is a late reply to your question but I hope this is helpful. The bridges on the ICW are supposed to be 65’ at high tide but many are not. The Wilkerson bridge is a good example. Our mast height is 63.5’ with the junk on top. Our VHF antenna dinged on the girders going down and coming back. By the way, there is no tide there.
Last fall we headed down the ICW from Norfolk and by the time I reached Charleston SC, I gave up and went offshore. Many bridges are 61’ and 62’ at high tide. If you are looking for a “safe” mast height I would not exceed 60’.
joefults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 19:34   #35

Boat: Colegate 26

My Orana is 63'8" to the mast's cap plate. There is a little bit of equipment on top of that. We've been under five bridges in North Carolina and one I think in Georgia, each quoted to be 65'. We elected to go at low tide.

I believe 65' is the goal, but they're unlikely to tear down many perfectly good bridges in order to make that change. At the same time I think I've read that a new lower bridge was built AFTER 65' became a thing.

At this point they could/should bump that up to 80'+. I'm sure there are plenty of commercial vessels that could make use of the added airdraft as well. It's become more a problem of how far into town the bridge landings have to go in order to add the height.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 11:04   #36

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16

The scum line on the height board of Julia Tuttle is more like 55 than 56. If you are at 56, do it at low tide giver or take a few hours.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 12:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
My Orana is 63'8" to the mast's cap plate. There is a little bit of equipment on top of that. We've been under five bridges in North Carolina and one I think in Georgia, each quoted to be 65'. We elected to go at low tide.

I believe 65' is the goal, but they're unlikely to tear down many perfectly good bridges in order to make that change. At the same time I think I've read that a new lower bridge was built AFTER 65' became a thing.

At this point they could/should bump that up to 80'+. I'm sure there are plenty of commercial vessels that could make use of the added airdraft as well. It's become more a problem of how far into town the bridge landings have to go in order to add the height.
The ICW was designed by the US Army Corp of Engineers. The Air Draft is designed to 65’ clearance at MHW (Mean High Water) therefore there are times when tides are higher than MHW.

To bump to 80’ to cater to a very few people relative to the overall population is somewhat a non starter in MHO. Much of the ICW has water draft issues. That’s many people I know that use the ICW shoot for boats with 5’ draft or less. With that in mind I find it hard to imagine any commercial vessels reguiring higher than 65’ would still be able to traverse the ICW due to their water draft.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:03   #38

Boat: Lipari 41

Having done the ICW for the last 20 years with an air draft of 62’, it can be done. I would not rely on published heights as many times clearance is dependent on wind direction and strength as well as run off from heavy rains. We got stuck several years ago in Myrtle Beach due to run off from a tropical system that occurred a week after the system had passed. What made matters worse was the lack of Day boards in that area, but yes it can be done....we now have a 41’ cat with an air draft of 57’.
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 02:53   #39

Boat: 1984 Morgan 454
Send a message via Skype™ to ZaphodMaine

I’m new to this forum and will be sailing from Maine to SC this winter (2020).
Are there flotillas going down? What’s the best open water window?
I have an IOR Morgan 454.
Cheers,
Zaphod
ZaphodMaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, mast, sail, sailing, water