Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 09:23   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: I just dont get it??? Why??? WHY ST THOMAS??

if ye donjt like it--dont go there--simple...captain kj---that is deeezguzzting...LOL
mebbe a vacation in hollywood would calm the nerves of the original poster-- perhaps in compton.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:25   #17

Well.... at least it's close to St John etc!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

publix market is a good reprovisioning place--is near cruise terminal.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37   #19

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
does it really matter????????

I have just poked a knife in my eyes.

I think americans should spend more time in other countrys. In Cairo my wife was crying when I took her to where I worked. My friends were robbed in the middle of a restuartant at gun point in Maricaibo. Did you know that half the people on this planet have never made a phone call.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post

I think americans should spend more time in other countrys. In Cairo my wife was crying when I took her to where I worked. My friends were robbed in the middle of a restuartant at gun point in Maricaibo. Did you know that half the people on this planet have never made a phone call.
I agree with you completely. My first trip out of the country was a solo backpacking trip in Mexico, those two weeks changed my perspective 180 degrees. THe problem is the majority of Americans have a really bad case of "ethnocentrism", or "my country is better than your country" so they feel there's nothing "there" for them.. I mean, I know I was surly ethnocentric, but after I dropped my ass into the middle of no where Mexico and actually tried to learn some customs and traditions to better facilitate my travels, I gained an immense appreciation.
rowingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:04   #21

Boat: C&C Mega 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post

I wouldn't really disagree with the belief that more Americans should travel. Although I'm not sure how your wife crying at your workplace in Cairo is related, or how getting robbed (is that in Mexico?) factors into that... And, btw, if you are attempting to encourage people to travel more, maybe leave these stories out.

But, as far as St. Thomas is concerned, it seems that this is part of the US Virgin Islands, and thus, isn't actually another country.....
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36   #22

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
publix market is a good reprovisioning place--is near cruise terminal.....

It's actually called Pueblo. You were close though.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:05   #23

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
It's actually called Pueblo. You were close though.
Oh yes, and the K-mart... almost makes a stop worth it ... also fun to watch the 'youth' parade their fighting dogs at dusk, and throw the bricks at tourists*.

ANYPLACE is good to visit, but I can see the OP's point in that some places are overrated... and in my experience St. Thomas is one of them.

*happened walking back to Charlotte Amalie from the airport... (yes, it was a long walk).

Maybe like Nassau in the Bahamas, St. Thomas can be a necessary stop, but hardly the 'destination' that it is sometimes made out to be.

IMHO.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46   #24

I am not a world traveler, but I’ve been to St Kitts Island. It sounds just like this
St. Thomas. While we were there the locals would through rocks at us because our Black Hawks were burning their pot fields. The island itself had more monkeys then humans. A car battery was over 300 bucks. BUT my god it was beautiful! Once you got out of town it was like heaven. The rain forest at the top of the volcano was a site to see. The water, the beaches, if I could have stayed I would have. That was the place I rode on my first sailboat.

As for Americans feeling entitled. Yea, we do. But so do the rest of the world. I wont go into depth here. But we give billions out and get nothing back. We were on St. Kitts to build them a Coast Guard headquarters that they needed so badly. We as in Americans paid for that 2 story building. No one, not even the officials treated us with respect. Well I take that back. The people that lived outside of town were very nice. And so were the people at the resort I stayed at (another story).

Why go to a place like that? Because you can. SOOO many people can’t and will never be able to do things like you all do. I know I’m jealous.
Lifegoal2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 13:18   #25

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I got married there on the beach at Frenchman's Reef. Played in the sand at Magen's Bay. Boarded a Sun Odyssey 54 for a week of honeymoon bliss. I kind of like the place. I don't recall spending much time around soda machines ;-)
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 13:26   #26

Boat: FP Athena 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
You said it all in the first question of your subject heading. You just don't get it... nothing personal intended.

You ask, "What could be so appealing?" There are many things, but by your own admission you don't get it. You've asked to be enlightened but then follow up stating that you don't want to spend another minute or dime here. It would appear your mind is already made up. That's a very unique position to take when asking for enlightenment. St Thomas, along with the other USVI aren't for everyone. Obviously they aren't for you, which is fine. I've traveled many places around the world and found some I didn't like and would never return to as well.

Since you've been here twice, I'm a little curious by your experiences that brought you to your opinions. Was your first visit so bad that you decided to come back again? Did something unpleasant happen on your second visit? Where you a victim of crime on both of your visits? What happened? Where were you when the crimes occurred? What time was it? How did the police handle it when you contacted them?

Where did you see the iron cage around the pop machine? I've no doubt that you saw it, I just can't think of where that might be.

I agree with Rubikoop. I have lived there almost 10 years. The islands are not for everyone. It is all what you make it. Just like any place.

(P.S Hello Rubikoop!! Miss me? )
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 13:49   #27

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Two good things about STT:
1. Better stores and prices for boat parts, food, clothing, etc;
2. Sitting waterside with your feet in the sand with a good bottle of red wine, eating a damn fine steak, listening to island music, at Latitude 38 restaurant!
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 14:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Breakaway View Post
Two good things about STT:
1. Better stores and prices for boat parts, food, clothing, etc;
2. Sitting waterside with your feet in the sand with a good bottle of red wine, eating a damn fine steak, listening to island music, at Latitude 38 restaurant!
Megans Bay
All of Frenchtown
The people
The culture
The food
The 39 holidays a year my husband had off!
The friendly boater community
Crystal clear beautiful water
Just to name a few things!
One of the biggest things I love about STT/STX are all the wonderful friends I have meet that are more like family now.
Old 10-06-2011, 14:19   #29

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats Eye View Post
I agree with Rubikoop. I have lived there almost 10 years. The islands are not for everyone. It is all what you make it. Just like any place.

(P.S Hello Rubikoop!! Miss me? )

Yes, you are missed...The Island just isn't the same since you've left. Now it's crime ridden, disgusting and there are bars on all the pop machines. You wouldn't even recognize the place.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 14:28   #30

LMAO! I knew it would all go down the tubes after Dave left!!! hehehe