Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2019, 09:29   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Hurricane season in the Bahamas - a good idea?

I live in Palm Beach County, the departure and arrival point for most passages to and from the Bahamas. I've lived through quite a few hurricanes that went right over here. It would be hard to imagine the devastation, including wrecked boats wrapped around bridges, that occurs. If you're in the Bahamas and a hurricane is coming, there is nowhere to take real shelter, none of our marinas or anchorages are safe and most local boaters are waiting in line to get hauled out at one of the limited number of available yards, or are making their way towards the St. Lucie River to try to get inland and then hauled out - a long shot. If you're anywhere around here, you're probably best off on very strong ground tackle in as sheltered an anchorage as you can find.
We haven't had many hurricanes hit here in recent years, and the El Nino forecast for the Pacific should give us a quiet year, but if one comes - look out.

All the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 09:47   #17

Proper hurricane planning involves either relocating to a remote location before the season or purchase adequate insurance coverage to remain in harms way.

As to Plan A being able to travel 200 nm per day. That Plan A like all plans is a maybe, but what happens when you can't make 200 nm and you need to deploy Plan B or C such as when you are headed out to sea and rigging problems or engine problems arise, or weather is not suitable for travel, or the storm does not have a solid tracking. Or when the port that the boat is located becomes closed and you are not permitted to leave, so that now you are on the Bahamas and a hurricane is on its way and you can't leave and will have to ride out the storm like any other local or tourist.

And how many times per season are you immediately ready to fly to the Bahamas [flight availability], equip your vessel and sail away from a hurricane that is at that instance an adequate distant enough away so as to even contemplate pursuing Plan A.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 10:02   #18

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I worry more about the improperly secured boats and all the flying debris! Far less of that here. Also many more spots to stuff the boat into the mangroves. In my experience mangroves are the safest place to be. Far better than hauled out with boats falling over and stuff flying about.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 10:23   #19

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

Rather be lucky than good any day!!

jewt
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 10:32   #20

Boat: Freedom 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Best bet on having your boat in the Bahamas during hurricane season is to have a haul-out arrangement with a local yard there. If a storm threatens, you need to have guaranteed or even pre-paid haul-out set up and ready to go. I wouldn't dream of trying to outrun a hurricane on a sailboat. Haul it out, get off of it and fly yourself out of the path of the hurricane. Anything else is an unnecessary risk.
Wisest words on the thread. If you can get permission from the yard, dig a hole to bring your deck down to ground level and of course lower the mast. Don't know what else you can do if you are hell-bent on staying in the Bahamas.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 10:32   #21

Having lived in the Florida keys from 1969 for about twenty years, and owning sailboats, I did what you're proposing without the luxury of choosing otherwise. There weren't any major storms during those years, so it worked out fine: it's good to be lucky. Some of the most pleasant activities on, and more to the point in, the water are best enjoyed in the quiet, warm water summer months.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 10:49   #22

It depends, if you can afford to write off the boat, and the financial repercussions do not wreck your finances (eg. big loans against the boat), then you can afford to test your theories on Hurricane avoidance assuming there are no other people at risk such as your family, first responders etc, other wise it is a financial and life threatening gamble - and to what end - ie where is the return? (Lobster season is over in the Bahamas)
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 11:01   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Bahamas hurricane damage images
Old 18-03-2019, 12:20   #24

As I see it there are some questions that come to mind.

At what point in time are you going to bail? Almost every hurricane that has hit the Bahamas came off of East Africa but the projected path over the Bahamas does not become known until 5 days ahead although you can project further ahead. With five days you could make it to Brunswick Landin Marina, Brunswick Ga considered a hurricane hole and one of the few that far south but then only if the winds co-operate.

At what strength are you going to bail. For example in safe harbour like Hope town on a mooring ball you could easily survive a cat 1 but a cat 3 and up not so much. I survived cat 1 winds in Peck Lake (off the ICW near St. Lucie inlet) at anchor, although not fun and only for an hour.

With a catamaran your choices for bailouts are limited and especially so in the Bahamas even for a monohull. For example you could not use Abaco Yacht Services on Green Turtle Cay and the same for many places in Florida.

I have heard that some local boat owners have left their boat on a mooring ball in Hope town during hurricanes and the boat was fine.

A hurricane passes near the Bahamas, on average, every two years. A hurricane makes a direct hit on the islands, on average, every four years. One Category 5 hurricane and seven Category 4 hurricanes have struck the Bahamas since storms were first recorded in 1851. Most hurricanes hit middle of August to middle of October. Maybe take a two month break in Brunswick Ga.

You will have to pay exorbitant insurance costs and then be only partially covered or not at all.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 12:40   #25

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I think that's a good strategy if you aren't too old. Odds are on your side for sure. You will need to be ready to move in two or three days if a storm threatens.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 13:26   #26

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsons View Post
However if I compare it with a stay in Chesapeake Bay (would be fine with the insurance ironically) there were by far much harder conditions compared to the Bahamas - in the last hurricane season. Or if you consider that staying in the ABC islands is much safer but not covered by the insurance.
You would be much better off in the Chesapeake Bay. Hurricanes are relatively rare (the past few years were the exception), and there are hundreds of hidey holes to anchor where you're likely to be the only boat. Also, lots of marinas to shelter in. Bahamas, no really good place to hide and everywhere will be jammed. One dragging anchor can wipe out an anchorage! Also, even if the storm is several days east, you'll likely still be experiencing northerly winds due to the counterclockwise rotation of the storm... not good conditions to cross the Gulf Stream!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 16:22   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish3 View Post
I would stay South and West of the cone. If you plan for that, you should be good. From 5 days out, you have idea if a storm is heading your way. There are a lot of escape routes from the Bahamas compared to the BVI. It is a risk I would take but it may not be for you. The odds of a direct hit if you take action are low.
And what day and to where do you leave on your south bound escape?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 17:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
And what day and to where do you leave on your south bound escape?
Paul, The Keys look pretty good to me...

Everyone can take their own risks in what they are comfortable in. If you are in the Exumas and North, you should have time to see approaching systems and still have opportunities to move to safety in the US. I am assuming a reasonable speed for the boat (5 kts+), but there are close exits to relative safety.

I lived in FL for 25 years and still live in the SE US. I am speaking from my perspective, but there are others who certainly disagree.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 17:42   #29

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish3 View Post
Paul, The Keys look pretty good to me...

Everyone can take their own risks in what they are comfortable in. If you are in the Exumas and North, you should have time to see approaching systems and still have opportunities to move to safety in the US. I am assuming a reasonable speed for the boat (5 kts+), but there are close exits to relative safety.

I lived in FL for 25 years and still live in the SE US. I am speaking from my perspective, but there are others who certainly disagree.
Totally agree with everyone measuring their own risks. I'm perfectly happy for you to stay in the Bahamas. I just don't agree with your evaluation.
I grew up in FL so have some exposure. You really think heading to the Keys makes sense? And what happens when the track changes and the incoming hurricane decides not to visit the Bahamas but instead cross the Keys to the Gulf of Mexico. Predicted tracks 5 days out are just not reliable.

If you stay a season in the Bahamas the most likely outcome is that no hurricane hits the Bahamas. That has little to do with the risk. As full time cruisers we spend a lot of effort to not being in the cyclone zone during the season. Just our choice.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 18:12   #30
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

read "at the mercy of the sea" about hurricane Lenny .. the "wrong way" storm.

Tags
Bahamas, hurricane