Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV
Hurricane Season - Grenada , Trinidad , ABCs ?

Folks,

We've got to figure out where to keep Bojangles for hurricane season. She's currently based in Fajardo, PR but will either need to go north of 30.5N or further south for hurricane season. (Or get a new insurer)

We are not living aboard at this time, but rather we will travel to the boat to cruise when time and finances permit.

I think our preferred option would be to get the boat to Grenada and try to leave it afloat in Clarke's Court or Prickly Bays - Or haul out. Second and third choices would be Trinidad or an ABC destination - although we've not been to Trini or ABC's before.

I would appreciate all informed input on Grenada during hurricane season:

1. Which insurers will let you stay there?
2. Are there good boat 'caretakers' who can tend the boat while we're away?
3. Are there any immigration/duty issues to worry about?
4. What else do we need to know?

Our other option, if we can't make a Caribbean destination work, is to sail back to the Chesapeake or dare I say Lake Ontario, but my wife isn't thrilled about either of those.

Thanks,
Colin
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01   #2

Re: Hurricane Season - Grenada, Trinidad, ABC's?

I didnt check in to Grenada, although I viewed one yard there. It didnt look all that secure to me. I think you will find Trini is well setup to do what you wish. Their yards are properly secured etc, and they have the boats stuff you need if you need to do any work before launching. Also less likely for a H'cane to go there...and only one day further....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If you are open to options further west then the Rio Dulce is hard to beat for hurricane season.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Bojangles,

Your policy language may exclude coverage in the "hurricane box", but did you actually ask your insurer if they'd allow storage inside the box?

My former insurer's policy had hurricane box limits, but once I asked, they were willing to insure my boat for hurricane season laid up ashore in Grenada and Antigua, and even in the water in a slip in Bradenton, Florida. The deductible was doubled, the annual premium increased, and I had to file a "Hurricane Plan", but for me that was preferable to taking it to Trinidad or the ABCs. Note: my former insurer doesn't do private yachts anymore, so my point is simply that you should make them a proposal that you prefer and see what they say.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:43   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts 30'

It used to be that Grenada was considered south of the Hurricane Belt by the insurance companies.

Hurricane Ivan changed all that in 2004. We had laid our boat up at Grenada Marine, which is at the eastern end of the South coast of Grenada. Of the 200 boats laid up there, only 38 were blown over and damaged to some degree. Our 30-ft sloop survived intact, due to the better shelter in that yard and the extreme care taken by the yard foreman in securing our boat. Two other yards on the south coast, both with around 200 boats each had ALL their boats blown over.

Many boats in Prickly Bay and Clarkes Court Bay were sunk or severly damaged.

Perhaps Ivan was unusual, but weather patterns are changing...

If looking for a yard, I'd recommend Granada Marine. When we finally returned to our boat after almost two years, it was securely strapped down to concrete anchors in the ground. They take no chances with your boat, yet every staff member's home was destroyed...

Marner
Marner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 18:09   #6

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

NAGICO Insurance issued us a policy that covers Grenada in the hurricane season. This is the broker I used. Two people in that area told me that NAGICO has, in the past, dealt with people fairly on hurricane damage claims. I was not able to find any 'hate' pages, forum, or blog posts that are negative about them, unlike Osprey and some others, so I took that as positive.

I also feel like Grenada Marine is good people. But I do not have extensive experience with them.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 18:49   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

We are currently in Prickly Bay, Grenada, and have the same question as you do. Most here tell me they have been at anchor every hurricane season ... that there is a very good communication channel on VHF for weather and that sailors will up anchor and sail south if there is any chance of a hurricane developing. I am told that these hurricanes develop far out so there is ample time to move ... but hey ... I certainly am no expert and intend to discuss this with my insurance company ... otherwise I am going to head for Tobago and keep a good watch from there ... we had a stunning time in Tobago and really enjoyed 'Man of war bay'. Also there is a facebook page for cruisers in Grenada where you could put the question for first hand response ... I will try to get the link for you
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 18:53   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

... I just checked ...it is Grenada Cruisers and is 'an open site'.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 19:04   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Well, what can I say

We survived hurricanes in Grenada (yes, Ivan) and Aruba. Spent serious time in Trinidad and the ABC's.

How sure you need to be that no hurricane will come? If 99.9% then you should go to Panama as that is the only country that was always outside the hurricane zone. The southern part of Colombia is good too but not their north coast.

If the choice is between Grenada, Trini or ABC's I would choose Curacao but I liked Peake's boatyard in Trinidad a lot too. We had a storm there and the yard crew was out keeping things under control while in other yards and marina boats were getting damaged.

Tobago I would not go, or well, it's a very short sail to Trinidad of course so if you stay aboard it isn't a problem. Keep the fuel tanks topped up.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 19:56   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

As mentioned by others, usually your insurance company has a "hurricane box" with Lat/Long specifications. The southern limit is typically now 12°N which puts Grenada's two boatyards "in the box." Trinidad is definitely outside the "box" as is the southern half of Curacao.

You have to check with your insurance company to find out what their "hurricane box" includes. And as mentioned by others, you can pay for a waiver from most insurance companies.

Since you said you will not be living on the boat - my personal opinion after a decade "down there" in the Caribbean including Grenada and Trinidad is to put the boat in one of the Trinidad - Chag Bay boatyards. The rates are good and Peakes Marine has the "Secure Yard" which is a totally fenced in area where the boats are isolated and secure from any and everybody. Your boat would not be in the "working yard."

However, if you have an animal/pet onboard with you - Trinidad is not worth the hassles of dealing with getting your animal out and back in by airlines. So then I would suggest Grenada and as mentioned Grenada Marine in St. David's Bay is the best choice on that island due to its sheltered location and good staff.

Anchoring out or leaving the boat in a marina while you are gone would be a non-starter with me. The only marina in Grenada with a good record is Martin's Marina (old Moorings marina) in Mt. Hartman Bay. But it is not inexpensive. Leaving a boat unattended in a marina, to me, is asking for all kinds of problems from theft, electrical failure of the bilge pumps, collision from other boats, and a variety of potentially expensive occurrences. Better to have the boat "on the hard."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 09:19   #11

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Hurricane Season - Grenada , Trinidad , ABCs ?

Also would give Grenada Marine some very high marks not only as a great on-the -Hard Hurricane hole but also in the professionalism I just experienced there a few weeks ago. Just had my boat pulled for various problems and they were very efficient in not only fixing my problems but getting me back in the water in an expeditious manner. They literally went way out of there way to accommodate me with my limited cruising schedule.
Recommend them highly without reservation.
They could certainly teach some of the marinas on Long Island Sound a thing or two about efficiency.
Also would look seriously at Rodney Bay in St. Lucia where I kept my boat last year during Hurricane Season. Very efficient yard with some talented technicians. Really question if there is much difference between St. Lucia and Grenada as far as Hurricanes go?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 19:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
. . . . Really question if there is much difference between St. Lucia and Grenada as far as Hurricanes go?
The only "questions" would be first - will your insurance cover the boat in a named storm at those locations. And second, what is the boatyard's policy on theft while your boat is being stored there. It is not uncommon for thieves to enter the boatyards, especially "working boatyards" and help themselves to whatever you have in or on your boat while you are away.

While the boatyard, maybe morally, if not legally responsible for safe guarding your boat in that they have custody and control of your boat while you are back "home." Are they going to make good on any theft? Or are you going to have to deal with it yourself through your insurance company.

One major advantage of Peakes Marine in Trinidad is the "secure yard," a fence and barb wire "compound" where nobody can enter or do any kind of work on the boat. Sort of, your boat is in "solitary confinement" until you return.
Old 17-02-2012, 05:21   #13

Boat: Oyster 55

Maybe I am a bit slow but I have never used a yard even in the US that would "make good" on any theft. It would have been covered by my own insurance. Also my current insurance only dictates that while in Caribbean waters and if left unattended my boat has to be out of the water between June 1st and November 1st. I can keep the boat where I want. As stated previously my boat was on the hard at Rodney Bay for the summer of 2011. The yard is fully fenced and have guards patrolling 24/7. Also Grenada Marine have guards 24/7 and they were actually awake anytime I was walking around the yard in the night. They were attentive, courteous and always willing to help with anything they could. Of course any yard being fenced does not keep out determined criminals.
Please let me know what yards assume responsibility for theft.
Too bad Guantanamo Bay does not store boats. Maybe our tax dollars would be better spent.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 06:35   #14

There is considerable history in the eastern Caribbean of theft from stored boats and a very few of the yards will admit their responsibility for providing a secure storage area and also make good on losses due to their lack of vigilance - most won't.

There are also boatyards in the upper Caribbean islands that have yards designed to withstand or greatly mitigate damage to stored boats by named Tropical Storms and some insurance companies do recognize these and do not suspend coverage or increase rates when you utilize these boatyards. Each insurance company appear to have different qualifiers on their coverage in this respect.

But the OP was talking about the trio of Grenada, Trinidad or the A.B.C.'s so experience with these three places by folks who have stored their boats there for the summer storm season is what I think the OP is asking about. Which is interesting as he states his boat is based in Fajardo, P.R. and just a few miles south is Puerto del Rey Marina which has one of these type boatyards.

Another thing he was asking about was costs for "immigration/duty" in the various islands. Grenada has changed their charges for a cruising permit from unlimited time limit to a monthly charge. Whereas Trinidad has a provision for "stopping the clock" if you are "on the hard" in storage in a boatyard.
Old 21-02-2012, 22:13   #15

what Nick - s/v Jedi said ...
Curaçao Marine, haul out and safe storage ...

Curacao Marine - Ship Yard on Curacao Netherlands Antilles

CU when you get here ...
beachgirl1952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, hurricane, grenada