Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 12:10   #1

How is New Bern NC For Sailing?

My SO just got a job offer in New Bern. Same job, different location.

We were wondering about the sailing community, how many months a year you can sail and anything else that someone considering moving there might want to know.

Anyone here live there?
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:39   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: How is New Bern NC For Sailing?

Been a long time since I sailed in New Bern. The water can get skinny...great community. Can sail pretty much year around.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 13:03   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I live in Oriental, about 20-25 NM by water and 35 SM by car from New Bern. Oriental is a very active sailing community with some 2-3,000 boats docked here. It has two cruising clubs and one racing club.

The racing club has 20-40 boats on most Saturdays from late to November. There are also 4-5 open regattas each year for the not so diehard racers.

If you live in New Bern, then there is only one cruising club for you, The Neuse Sailing Association. The other one is limited to Pamlico County residents. I know that is elitist and I am trying to change it. But it is what it is.

NSA does cruises to Ocracoke, South River (across the Neuse from Oriental), Cape Lookout and longer cruises up to little Washington and beyond. It is a lively social/boating group.

The waters off of Oriental are wider and deeper (2-3 NM wide and dozens long) than up in New Bern with dozens of creeks and great places to drop the hook on a nice day.

So think about docking your boat here and drive down to sail Saturday and Sunday, stay on board and enjoy the town. It has a half dozen restaurants, some pretty good (but New Bern has better IMO). But nobody has a coffee shop like the Bean or an unofficial town website like TownDock.net. Slips can be rented from about $150-200/mo from a private individual to maybe $350 for a 40' in a full service marina with pool and clubhouse.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 14:55   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Post above pretty well covers it, but you might also consider Beaufort, Morehead City or a few other spots a short drive from New Bern. The Neuse River is navigable to New Bern, and somewhat beyond, but the water does become shallow and you have to be more cautious than areas further downstream.

Several marinas also near Minnesott Beach, Matthews Point, etc. might also work for you.

In other words, come on down The sailing's great!
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 15:08   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Sailing directly out of New Bern, you need to sail in skinny waters for a bit until you get to a decently wide part of the river - look at a chart and you will see what I mean. A much better option if you want to keep a boat near the town is Northwest Creek Marina. The staff is excellent, good facilities, and a very good hurricane hole - you can keep you boat in the water during a storm. Not so at most other area marinas.

Most keep their boats in year round, and we have sailed on the Neuse every month of they year. July and August can be oppressively hot and windless. Spring and fall are very nice. Beufort is a day and a half away, and Cape Lookout is an excellent destination. For week-long vacation type sails, you have many fun, beautiful places to go.

Chris

If you have any more specific questions, let me know
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 15:51   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We're in the Neuse twice a year and sometimes to New Bern. As a town & community New Bern excels. There's great protected inshore sailing here just as there is in Oriental, Belhaven or Little Washington and the access to offshore at Beaufort is close.
Old 23-08-2013, 16:01   #7

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
A much better option if you want to keep a boat near the town is Northwest Creek Marina. The staff is excellent, good facilities, and a very good hurricane hole - you can keep you boat in the water during a storm.
I second that. We have been there since 2004.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 17:00   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I sailed there from 2006 till 2001. There is plenty of marina space, both in New Bern and across the river. Depending on how big of a sail boat you have there are a couple of smaller marinas up the trent river but are limited by a 34 foot fixed bridge. The upper Neuse has some pretty thin water as has already been stated. On the chart you will see a dredged channel about 5 miles south of New Bern. South of that there are no depth issues with the exception of a few well charted shoals. I often found that the in upper Neuse the sailing winds were often poor to nonexistent while at the same time the lower Neuse (Minnisott point and beyond) had great wind. I would often motor 2 hours or more in a dead calm only to find 12-15 once I rounded the point. I eventually moved my boat to Whortonsville on Broad Creek. I got a lot more sailing and a lot less motoring done after I moved my boat. As you might note I have a 44 foot cat and there were a dearth of slips in oriental that could handle such a boat. Since you haven't stated what kind of boat you have this may not be an issue for you. You should also note that in the City of New Bern you will pay city property tax on your boat as well as county. If you keep your boat outside of the city you'll save some money.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 04:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Hinckley Bermuda 40

Uh...there are a couple things not mentioned. Do you like mosquitos? I lived there from 12/09 until 6/11. If you ever are wondering where the mosquitos are, they are there. Another factor is heat. July and August are just about too hot to sail. I mean it is hot.

Those caveats aside, I agree, dock in the vicinity of Oriental. From there you are at the mouth of the Neuse on the Pamlico Sound. It's a day sail across to Ocracoke, a great spot. Also you can sail from there to Beaufort and out to POint Lookout, Lookout Bight, a great boaters beach. Spend a weekend there. Swan quarter for whole fresh shrimp for 3.50/pound! Oysters for $30 a half bushel at wholesalers (when you find the right spot)....

A word about Oriental; great LITTLE sailing community. Not much there, but pleasant. There is a great sailing consignment shop tho...make sure you visit it!
airedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 05:33   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I sailed there from 2006 till 2001. ...........................
Hey Captain Bill, I thought you were looking pretty young and spry in that avatar photo! ...running back the clock are you? Were all going to want to know more about this!
Old 24-08-2013, 05:49   #11

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Hey Captain Bill, I thought you were looking pretty young and spry in that avatar photo! ...running back the clock are you? Were all going to want to know more about this!
If it were only so! I jest kant tipe . 2011
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 06:52   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I sailed there from 2006 till 2001. There is plenty of marina space, both in New Bern and across the river. Depending on how big of a sail boat you have there are a couple of smaller marinas up the trent river but are limited by a 34 foot fixed bridge. The upper Neuse has some pretty thin water as has already been stated. On the chart you will see a dredged channel about 5 miles south of New Bern. South of that there are no depth issues with the exception of a few well charted shoals. I often found that the in upper Neuse the sailing winds were often poor to nonexistent while at the same time the lower Neuse (Minnisott point and beyond) had great wind. I would often motor 2 hours or more in a dead calm only to find 12-15 once I rounded the point. I eventually moved my boat to Whortonsville on Broad Creek. I got a lot more sailing and a lot less motoring done after I moved my boat. As you might note I have a 44 foot cat and there were a dearth of slips in oriental that could handle such a boat. Since you haven't stated what kind of boat you have this may not be an issue for you. You should also note that in the City of New Bern you will pay city property tax on your boat as well as county. If you keep your boat outside of the city you'll save some money.
Way to go Doc(Brown),when you come back thru let me know I like time travel...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 06:56   #13

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Check taxes. Some states make it even more expensive to own a boat than it already is.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 07:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahLee View Post
Check taxes. Some states make it even more expensive to own a boat than it already is.
Good point - on more than just the boat. In Illinois, retirement income is exempt from taxes. I'll have to check into that.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing