Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2010, 05:52   #61

Spanish Water is certainly well protected and a number of boats stay there year round, but too crowded an anchorage when we were there for my liking. Even in a smallish squall there were boats dragging around, high chance of a collision in my opinion.
We were there in 30k and had to fend off two boats that had been anchored and left, that's a situation I don't like to be in!!

Just as an aside when we sheltered in Scotland Bay from Emily the only boat that caused any serious problems had been moored and then left by the owners...
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 01:28   #62

Okay,every now and then there is a Tropical depression here on Curacao, seldom a storm and never (hardly ever) hurricanes ...

you could have anchored in Kabrieten bay if you wanted to be on your own, Annk, because there's more than enough room (quiet or more crowded) on Spanish Waters for all the cruisers who stay with us for 'cane season ...
because we are known to be "hurricane proof" ...

beside that, Curacao IS a very nice island ...

ps: when were you on Curacao, Annk?
beachgirl1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 11:14   #63

you could have anchored in Kabrieten bay if you wanted to be on your own, Annk, because there's more than enough room (quiet or more crowded) on Spanish Waters for all the cruisers who stay with us for 'cane season ...

I was speaking specifically about Spanish Water, and I agree Curacao is a very nice island! I was there in 2006.

So far, in our cruise of the Caribbean the safest place we have found for hurricane season is the Rio Dulce Guatemala.I understand that there has NEVER been a hurricane here, and with the majority of boats kept some 15 miles inland there is little/no risk of tide surge.The only problem is it's way down in the western corner and getting back out generally requires a beat to windward!
annk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean