Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 03:44   #1

Hiking Gros Piton St Lucia

What is the best way to get crew to the trail head to hike Gros Piton. We plan to anchor between the Pitons.
jcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 05:09   #2

Re: Hiking Gros Piton St Lucia

You could go to shore in soufriere and get a taxi. Or you could get a rental car. The buses don't go to the base of the pitons, they stop a few miles short.

Or you can go to shore at the beach at the base of gros piton and get a guide from there and walk up.

Regardless, if you arent already aware, be aware this is a high crime area to leave your boat for the day.

Lock both your boat and dinghy very well. Do not hire one of the guys coming to your boats by dinghy to take you to shore or to be a guide for the pitons, some of them do that just so they know when you are away and can break into your boat. Even if you're careful, the chances of an unattended boat being broken into are still significant.

Do not pay the boat guys for a mooring ball, they belong to the park and you'll just end up paying twice.

There was a fish guy and a fruit guy when I was there a month ago though who I appreciated that they came to the boat.

If I were you, I would instead anchor in rodney bay and find another group interested in going and split the cost of a rental car.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 05:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

GROS PITON - Reservations for GROS PITON HIKE TOUR- CHALLENGING GROS PITON TRAIL HIKING TOUR

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 05:21   #4

There is a water shuttle from Castries to Sufriere. Sufriere has plenty of taxis. The area is absolutely gorgeous, so I strongly recommend getting up into the Pitons. There is also a good zipline park up in that area as well.

I'll second the sentiments (above).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 17:16   #5

Thanks for the input, we have a plan. We will be departing from Rodney Bay on the day of the hike, we will hire a tour guide to drive the hikers to Gros Piton early in the morning from Rodney bay. I will sail to Capella's and have breakfast, then to the Pitons and pick up a ball. I will pick them when the guide delivers them to Sugar Beech.
jcarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Lucia