Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2023, 12:34   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Help! West Coast Sailor in Florida

Always outside, wait for weather window is never more than a couple days

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 13:02   #17

Trouble with gunning it when aground is having the confidence that you are not just driving yourself deeper into the sh*t. The tidal range around the keys is less than a foot.
smacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 06:32   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

I have done this trip several times with a 6' draft on my Beneteau 461.
Hawk Channel is fine. never had an issue but watch out for crab pots floats.
One issue nobody mentioned is the last ICW bridge in Miami. It is fixed and has only 53' clearance. Therefore, leaving the ICW in Lauderdale is a must for you.
Also, Hillsboro inlet is very busy, small and very shallow. Local knowledge is needed.
You have two places to cross from the Hawk channel into the gulf. Marker 5 bridge and Marathon. The route 1 bridge is 64'. From there you can head straight for the Everglades (don't anchor too close to the Mangroves, Mosquitos eat you alive) and Marko Island.
Be aware that marinas in SW Florida are rebuilding and are closed at present (Burned Stoe Marina) So is the large mooring field in Ft. Myers Beach.
I am on my way now leaving from St. Augustine tomorrow.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 07:01   #19

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
as many as 4.6 bazillion ^2 crab pots.
This made me laugh out loud! Great description!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:54   #20

Boat: Watkins 29

Should you decide to take the ICW south from Ft.lauderdale, be aware tgat tge Julia Tuttle Bridge in Miami is a fixed bridge with 55' clearance. Not sure what your air draft would be.

There are 17 bridges to transit from Palm Beach to Ft.lauderdale.. it makes for a long tiring day.

I'd go outside from Palm Beach, all the way to Miami and anchor in Miami Marine Stadium. The view of the city at night is absolutely awesome.

Don't anchor there on weekends. It's really busy.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:29   #21

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exctyengr View Post
OK, so my adult son just bought a Catalina 36 mkII in West Palm Beach, FL and wants me to help him move it to Key West Naval Air Station Marina. Plan is to move it the first week in Jan 23.

I am a West Coast Sailor (SoCal and PNW) but reasonably experienced. So need some local knowledge here: ICW or outside? ICW looks like a lot of bridges and some perhaps confusing navigation; Outside looks like challenges with the Gulf Stream and an opposing wind?

Thoughts on which route and perhaps stops would be appreciated.

Just go outside and don’t meander too far from shore as the Gulf Stream May be closer than you think. If you do not like overnight’s then leave anchorage by 5 AM and make a bee line to key Biscayne and decide if you want to go outside or inside. Either way in key Biscayne anchor at no bar harbour. If going inside, is quite easy and documented in any GPS chart- worst case scenario you get stuck in sawgrass mud. Sailing inside Biscayne bay is fun, after that thing will need more attention when you get to featherbed pass around Elliot key. The next challenge could be Cutterbank pass which is about 1.5 miles long and narrow. Current there could be a challenge, check for rides.

After that is just following the routes, lots of fun to be had

If you are in a hurry then go to the outside and make Rodrigo Key your next anchor from starting point of key Biscayne. After that a straight shot to key west
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sail, west coast