Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 05:03   #1

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)
Have you used 12Knots Yacht Broker before for a Bareboat rental?

I have bareboated a number of times. This broker based it appears in Maryland is about 2 years new in the business. He has been very helpful finding me a few options. However, I can't find any independent reviews of him anywhere and therefore am not ready to send him the money and he passes it on to the yacht owner company. If you have used him what has been your experience and when?

Thanks
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:35   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Have you used 12Knots Yacht Broker before for a Bareboat rental?

Just curious why one would need a broker to charter a boat. Why not just deal with the multitude of brokerage companies directly?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:39   #3

Boat: MacGregor 26

Why book with a travel agent rather than a resort directly?

Many reasons IMO. You may get it cheaper too.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 06:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
Why book with a travel agent rather than a resort directly?

Many reasons IMO. You may get it cheaper too.
Please educate me and name some of the many reasons.
Thanks
Old 16-11-2018, 07:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Please educate me and name some of the many reasons.
Thanks
Cost. Individualized services. Expanded location searches. Opinions of various charter companies and insight into hidden fees, common issues, etc.

When you book airfare do you go directly to each airline or do you use google flights, kayak, orbitz, etc?

When you buy insurance do you ever use a broker to check numerous companies at once for you?
Old 16-11-2018, 08:03   #6

OP, are you finding it cheaper to use him than directly with the charter cooany?
Old 16-11-2018, 08:36   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Interesting thought here...

If the internet killed the local travel agent (Kayak, expedia etc...) is the next killer app "Kayak for Chartering?"

Basically what you are saying is that the charter broker has collected a lot of data and experience and his investment in time and energy should be compensated.

If I can book a Sunsail charter for $2500 direct, why would I use the broker? Well the broker might get a "volume or referral" discount and that's his profit.

The main reason to use a travel agent today is if the vacation is going to be complex and/or one does not want to manage research of the on the ground activities.

I could easily see a future with Kayak for Charters that would pretty much kill the charter broker business...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 13:43   #8

Quote:
OP, are you finding it cheaper to use him than directly with the charter cooany?
As Caradow so eloquently stated, he used the word "multiple" as his/her key point and "directly" as his/her second key point. I have rented usually for 30 days at a time from various companies. In the past 5 times, I have used brokers. Previously, I used the major companies directly. And to contact multiple and directly is time consuming. I have a job, I get someone else to do the work.

You don't pay any more to use these guys as the company pays a % to the broker as a commission. When I rent for extended times, it is cheaper and much more complex to get a price. I ask for things like 30 days, upgraded dingy motor, sail at night, extended cruising grounds, etc. They then go to possibly 5 different companies and get prices and obviously make a competitive comparison and likely tell the companies that we are looking at 5 companies. I would not have the time nor the knowledge how to play one off the other.

Now for this company 12knots, I still have not found one person that has used him. I have used Hamilton and latesail and the company longtermcharters in the past in the Caribbean.
Old 16-11-2018, 13:56   #9

Thanks for the info. We booked with tropicalyachts and it was cheaper than going straight with Sunsail. Hoping it works out well.
Old 16-11-2018, 14:05   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the info. We booked with tropicalyachts and it was cheaper than going straight with Sunsail. Hoping it works out well.
And my guess that with the majors like you say about Sunsail, you could have found the cheaper alternative but somehow didnt know about moving the rental date one day, asking for some special discount because you are left handed, or some other nuance that they put in to make that one discount not the easiest to understand the right configuration to get the break.
Old 17-11-2018, 14:50   #11

Quote:
Cost. Individualized services. Expanded location searches. Opinions of various charter companies and insight into hidden fees, common issues, etc.

When you book airfare do you go directly to each airline or do you use google flights, kayak, orbitz, etc?

When you buy insurance do you ever use a broker to check numerous companies at once for you?
Well I can find all that stuff out on my own and I probably know the Caribbean better than most brokers. Also know people in the industry and really don't need a broker. But hey if it works for you that's great. If the truth be known I haven't chartered a boat in over 10 years so maybe things are changing. However honestly I have had my share of ill prepared boats and with some of the big players in the field. Had a nasty situation out of St. Vincent that almost went to ligation. Finally after getting a friend in the business involved they did the right thing and gave me a free charter. Now I wonder does your broker assume any of the responsibility for a boat that's not up to speed? That would be a reason to use a broker if that were the case.

Your second question regarding booking directly or through one of the many brokers eg: Kayak can be answered simply by stating sometimes and other times due to time constraints and complicated schedules for myself family or friends I am served better dealing directly with the airlines. And I do a lot of flying and don't spend money needlessly, well other than owning a boat in the first place.

Your last question regarding insurance again can be answered "sometimes" but mostly as a test against what I find on my own. Especially dealing with marine insurance and coverage in different countries and Hurricane coverage.

So again I am happy you have found something that works for you. Guess I am a bit paranoid and want to explore on my own....at least on things I know about.

I do hope you have a great time on your next charter.
Ciao
Old 27-11-2019, 11:59   #12

Back to the original question...has anyone utilized their services for bareboating or a cabin charter?
vaitality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 11:56   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sun Odyssey 449
Send a message via Skype™ to 12knots

Hello, you may find some reviews about our company on Trustpilot. We work as a broker and offer on our web site boats and cruises from professional charter companies.
12knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:14   #14

Swammy,

I just saw some great rates posted on 12 Knots' website and have the same questions. I know this is an old thread, but did you ever charter with them? If so, how did it go?
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:06   #15

I looked at that site. They did a nice job on the site. I like it.

I notice they have a "List your boat" link. I was looking at some of the bareboat rentals in USVI. They look suspiciously similar to what Dream Yacht Charters has. Even same marina. I wonder if some of the established companies use this site for additional exposure.
RIglehart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, knot, yacht