Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 16:47   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Haul-out Hurricane Storage USA

Almost all the boatyards in Florida use chained jackstands and ground anchors. But another option is that some boatyards will dig a "keel hole" that allows your boat to sit flush with the ground. There are no "jackstands" and as a result the boat cannot "fall over" during a Trop + Storm.

Most of your decision is really going to be the cost of storage and convenience to your transportation situation.

I am currently in Cape Marina, Cape Canaveral, FL (just next door to the rocket base) and the storage rates here are very good compared to other yards in central east Florida. See: Cape Marina - Cape Canaveral - Boat storage, marine mechanics, slips and dockage

You can use Google Earth to zoom in and see the storage yard. About have the boats are sail and the other half are power.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 15:16   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393

Unfortunately in Florida I have to have the jackstands welded, not chained, to keep the insurer happy. I have sent Cape Marina and email to see if they can do this.
rayfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 16:02   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38 Camper Nicholson

If you're willing to come a bit further up we'd love to have you at Anchors Away Boatyard near Wilmington, NC. We are currently hauling most boats for free when they pay one month's storage in advance. We would use jack stands chained together to secure your boat.
Anchors Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 19:39   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfarrar View Post
Unfortunately in Florida I have to have the jackstands welded, not chained, to keep the insurer happy. I have sent Cape Marina and email to see if they can do this.
I don't know of or have heard of any FL or US boatyard that "welds jackstands together." That may be a difficult one to find unless you purchase your own "jackstands," which is possible.

However, check with your insurance company and see if they will "buy" the "keel holes" - that is, a trench is dug and the keel sits down in the hole and the hull of the boat rests on the "berm" or "shorty" jackstands. This is used used in various Caribbean Island boatyards for hurricane season. I have personally seen the "keel - holes" in Jolly Harbor, Antiqua and also here in Cape Marina in Cape Canaveral, Florida and other Florida boatyards.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:13   #20

Anchors away - great offer but too far north for our first haul out. Could be good for our second season so I'll keep you on file :-))

Osirissail - I didn't realize that keel holes were widely used in the US so that's a good idea. I'll put it to my insurer. They will only accept chained stands north of 30.5 degrees ie Georgia upwards. Very helpful post - many thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:39   #21

Boat: Present Europa Sedan, 40

River Forest Yachting Center in Stuart is your answer. Absolutely one of the finest anywhere. you can't go wrong.
trawlercoda.blogspot.com
Codacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:09   #22

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

By all means, do not use Anchors Away. They were *not* good to work with, and I regret ever having spent time or money there. I bought a boat there, so had no choice.

If you need a yard, go farther north to Oriental, where the people are friendly, helpful and generous.

Sorry Anchors Away, every day you get to make decisions in business, and people like me that get cheated don't go away.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:18   #23

Thumbs up Re: Haul-out Hurricane Storage USA

Following up all the excellent suggestions here I have opted to haul out at Tiger Point Marina. That's not to say other suggestions were not excellent yards, it just that Tiger Point ticked the right boxes and they had space for me.

So thanks to everyone for your very helpful input and I hope to see some of you on the water next year
Old 11-07-2012, 14:17   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfarrar View Post
Following up all the excellent suggestions here I have opted to haul out at Tiger Point Marina. That's not to say other suggestions were not excellent yards, it just that Tiger Point ticked the right boxes and they had space for me.

So thanks to everyone for your very helpful input and I hope to see some of you on the water next year
Tiger Point's a great yard. We leave our boat, B393 "Breathless" there from May to Nov/Dec. If you see us there working on the boat come over for a drink. I need more excuses for not working.
Old 12-07-2012, 00:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Tiger Point's a great yard. We leave our boat, B393 "Breathless" there from May to Nov/Dec. If you see us there working on the boat come over for a drink. I need more excuses for not working.
We plan to haul out at the end of April so hopefully Pleiades will catch up with you on the water beforehand

Tags
haul out, hurricane, storage