Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02   #1

Boat: AMF Paceship PY26
Gulf of Mexico

Anyone cruising the Gulf?
Domknotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 14:01   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Gulf of Mexico

We were.
Now ried to the dock refitting the boat for extended cruising
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 14:51   #3

Boat: 30' CATALINA C30

I would look into it, I am just concerned about the safety in the area regarding weather and other matters. There doesn't seem to be a lot of respond here as too many people in the area. I would like to get any advice you could give me about the Gulf of Mexico.
sailfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 15:02   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 35
Coming into thunderstorm season..afternoons, some very strong with numerous lightening strikes generally and of course hurricane season...best to stay close to the coast
sailin459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 17:27   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Two problems with the "Gulf of Mexico" cruising - first it is all coastal cruising - no islands but an unbelievable amount of Gas/Oil rigs that are major hazards.
- - Second, other than the US coastline from Florida to Texas and Mexico from the border to the Yucatan - there is not much variety in any of the places.
- - On the other hand the Caribbean Basin stretches from Cuba to Antigua and south to Trinidad, Venezuela and west to Panama and then north to Mexico. That is a serious available amount of new and different experiences.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 17:32   #6

Boat: private yacht always moving

osirissail gave GOOD advice on the GOM,,,do not forget all the fishing vessels that think it is there gulf and you are trespassing, I worked oil and gas supply for 2 1/2 years there,,,,look out for the unmarked well heads,, do not travel at night without a radar finely tuned,,,,,in ruff weather they are VERY hard to see in the daytime,,,,,they should be marked but lots of them are not,,keep a good lookout at all times
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:20   #7

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI

All is not bad in the Gulf. I havn't cruised it all, but there are some very beautiful places along the coast and inland waters of Alabama and the Florida panhandle, and then there are the barrier islands off Mississippi and Alabama. The inland bays of Alabama and Florida are great. And when you have done that, you can get into Lake Pontchartrain and spend some time hanging out in New Orleans.
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:26   #8

what Osiissail said!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:43   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Pirates! Look out for the Pirates!

ETA: sorry wrong gulf!
Old 07-06-2011, 19:16   #10

Boat: 1979 O'Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domknotty View Post
Anyone cruising the Gulf?
Domknotty,

I JUST finally started my sailing career and am taking courses in Pcola. Please let me know what you end up doing for my edification
WarmWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 21:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

OK, let's be serious. As a "cruising destination", it's really hard to compare our Gulf Coast with the Caribbean. HOWEVER, if you LIVE in the area, and it's your weekend cruising ground, it ain't all that bad. There are lots of very nice areas, if you are a birder - or just interested - it's just plain outstanding. If you fish, it's great. If you are looking for coral reefs and pretty water... well. This isn't it.

As for rigs/platforms/pipes, etc. Yes, they are there. Yes, they are often unmarked. HOWEVER, there are ways to avoid them. Every October, Lakewood Yacht Club puts on the Harvest Moon Regatta - and the trip is right thru oil platform territory. 200-250 boats, at night. I don't recall hearing of an incident with a fixed platform. MANY other stories of mother nature affecting participants.

That said, if you are offshore at night, radar OR the safety zone is a darn good idea.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 20:08   #12

Boat: 1979 O'Day

True that. I've flown over some of the thicker areas of rigs and it immediately reminds me of a minefield.

Thankfully we do have beautiful beaches...and if you can find a secluded area away from the tourists, it's still serene.

I do a fair amount of sharking (before the hate messages, we tag and release them for NOAA :P ), and one of my favorite parts is being on the beach at night... with no one else besides us for miles Add a stogie and a FEW beers (don't want to lose a hand!), and it's hard to go wrong even it's a slow night with the fishies.

Like you said though, it might not come close to the carib, but it could be a lot worse.

-WW
WarmWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:44   #13

Boat: Malö 116 39'

I am planning to sail from Mobile, Alabama to Cancun, Mexico for when times come, go through the Panama Canal. Is there any alternative to go straight over the gulf?
Lars_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 14:26   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars_L View Post
I am planning to sail from Mobile, Alabama to Cancun, Mexico for when times come, go through the Panama Canal. Is there any alternative to go straight over the gulf?
Yes, follow the coastline (or ICW) to Brownsville Texas then down the Mexican coastline around the Yucatan until you get to Cancun. One neat place to stop is Progresso Mexico which is the port area for the city of Merida and all the surrounding Mayan pyramid sites.
- - You can, of course, take shortcuts outside when the weather allows it. If not then run the ICW.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:00   #15

Boat: 1993 Lagoon 37 TPI

If you plan to sail from Mobile to Cancun, going around Texas is the very very very long way. Some go directly across the gulf to Isla Mujeres, an island off the north-east corner of the Yucatan. If you take this route, be sure to check out the location of the loop current before starting, unless you want to buck a 3 kt current in the wrong direction. Another alternative is to sail down the west coast of Florida to Key West, then the Dry Tortugas, then over to Isla Mujeres.
Good luck.
Mike Sibley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico