Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 11:27   #1

Gulf Coast of Texas to Leeward Islands

Getting out of the central GOM seems to be the biggest hurdle, often as getting started is always.

We are planning a 2 year Caribbean Cruise beginning after cyclone season 2019.
However we are wanting to get a jump this year and move the boat closer to enjoyable waters. Either Yucatan Coast or West Florida Coast. From one of these two points we will finish up preparations for our cruising excursion.

We have a 2005 Caliber 40 LRC completely blue water ready and some offshore and cruising experience. St Marteen to Annapolis MD 1600 NM, West Coast Australia, Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands.

We have our plans set to enable us to take a year or two off 3rd quarter 2019 but we want to get the boat to better waters for some long weekend sails between now and then, and also complete any preparations for shoving off.

Getting out of Galveston with prevailing easterly winds to Florida seems a bummer, but the ICW seems even worse to us.
Sailing South to Isla Mujeres seems a better sailing option, but leaves us Easting to the Caymens and Jamaca.

Any real experience with leaving Galveston with the Islands in mind would be appreciated.
Hold Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:47   #2

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Re: Gulf Coast of Texas to Leeward Islands

By no means an expert, but I left Galveston headed East around the Missippi Delta and up in to lake Pontchartrain. Later on, the winds turn mostly in your favor for heading east. I moved in October. We motor sailed as we were on a schedule.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 17:36   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

when ever you are anywhere on this trip when the wind is favorable, go!

I was headed the other way in 2002. I was in great hook island bahamas having sailed down wind from Antigua. The wind turned around and blew hard out of the North west for a day and a night.

There were a couple of boats that said they were planning to go to the Leewards, but did not go that day.

Later before I left to sail home, I talked to them, they had given up and were headed back to the states.

Wishing you a safe trip.
Old 08-05-2018, 14:05   #4

Boat: Vagabond 42

I have done it twice. From Seabrook (Lakewood Yacht Club) to St Martin. Both times making the first jump to Florida (5 to 6 days) and then on to the Islands. The first time I was talked into the “I-65” route (due east from “Hole in the Wall” into the Atlantic to 65° and then turn south to the Virgins. We got killed, bashing into big seas and strong headwinds. The second time we took more of the island route going through the Exumas, down to the Turks and Caicos, touch DR, north side of Puerto Rico and on into St Martin. I will NEVER try the I-65 route again! Either way, you will be fighting the prevailing winds and seas. Take your time and wait for weather windows. Going East SUCKS! Both times took about 21 to 23 days Florida to St Martin.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulf coast, leeward islands, texas