Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 20:11   #1

Boat: Ill tell you in the next month when we buy
Guatemala to the leeward islands

Hi
I we are relatively new to this site but hoping for some advice or references to other good threads

We are looking to buy a boat in the Caribbean (greater area) and sail it back to Australia over 2 yrs. Looking at one of the more main stream production boats i.e 45 ft Bavaria/ Jeanneau / benneteau.
A boat we are very interest in is based in Rio Dulce. Not my ideal starting spot with the trades beginning to pick up but if we purchased it, would be looking to sail East to the Leewards early Dec 18.
Interested in anyones view on the quickest and least painful route to the leeward Islands OR should we cut loss our and stick with buying in the leewards/windwards

Thanks in advance
Rich and Helen
heforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 04:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Guatemala to the leeward islands

Hi Rich and Helen,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your boat search.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get from Guatemala to the eastern Caribbean but a few options that will make it less difficult.

Basically four options:

1- Just sail east to get there. By far the worst and will be hardest on boat and crew.

2. Follow the coast S and E around Central and South America. Serious safety and security along the Venezuelan coast and still have strong winds and currents to fight.

3. Island hop Caribbean side. Stop in the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, maybe south coast of Haiti at Isle a Vache (one of the few safe stops in the country), south coasts of DR, PR to the VI, etc. Most of the hops are fairly short allowing you to wait for more moderate weather. Also, south coast of the big islands is usually pretty calm in winter trades so if you hug the coast you'll be in easy water but might have to motor a lot to make much time.

4. Island hop, Atlantic side. Similar benefits to #3 but longer sail, less protection from NE trades.

I would go for option 3.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 05:17   #3

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

If your eventual destination is Australia, why the caribbean first? Wouldn’t purchasing on the Pacific side make that goal easier to obtain?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:19   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
If your eventual destination is Australia, why the caribbean first? Wouldn’t purchasing on the Pacific side make that goal easier to obtain?
If you skip the E Carib its a lot easier to get from Rio Dulce to the Canal.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 07:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If you skip the E Carib its a lot easier to get from Rio Dulce to the Canal.
Yes but then he would miss seeing the E Caribbean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 07:39   #6

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

At the pace they'd have to travel (in a new to them boat) to get to the Eastern Caribbean and back to the canal for the typical crossing window, they are going to miss most of the Caribbean anyway.

edit- I misread the OP. I thought they had to be to the E Carb by Dec and were going to try to make the canal this season (Feb-March).

In that case, the route Belize, Mexico, Florida, Bahamas, and the Thorny Path would be my choice for a boat you just purchased. You'll want to add some things to make life easier, and there is no better time than when you get to Florida.

Matt
Old 20-10-2018, 08:36   #7

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Rich and Helen,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your boat search.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get from Guatemala to the eastern Caribbean but a few options that will make it less difficult.

Basically four options:

1- Just sail east to get there. By far the worst and will be hardest on boat and crew.

2. Follow the coast S and E around Central and South America. Serious safety and security along the Venezuelan coast and still have strong winds and currents to fight.

3. Island hop Caribbean side. Stop in the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, maybe south coast of Haiti at Isle a Vache (one of the few safe stops in the country), south coasts of DR, PR to the VI, etc. Most of the hops are fairly short allowing you to wait for more moderate weather. Also, south coast of the big islands is usually pretty calm in winter trades so if you hug the coast you'll be in easy water but might have to motor a lot to make much time.

4. Island hop, Atlantic side. Similar benefits to #3 but longer sail, less protection from NE trades.

I would go for option 3.
I concur with option 3 but wonder why the best island in the whole of the Caribbean is not mentioned and that would be Cuba of course and in particular her South Coast and the Jardin de la Reina. Light winds and little rain in the winter. Simply wonderful imho. Otherwise the Thorny Path East is very doable. One also needs to consider the trades going from predominantly ne to se as the season progresses.

Also would not miss Haiti. You will never forget either.

I given the luxury of time and assuming other considerations would not think of the easy way out, i.e. straight to the canal. And on the way back west, preferably in the second season do not miss any part of the San Blas or the Dutch islands.

A good way to get used to a newboat.

Good luck and Enjoy. The area should not be missed particularly by someone from the Antipodes.

I, in spite of having done it all am envious.

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:40   #8

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

There might be a reason Cuba is not mentioned in Option #3 - Insurance. Most insurance companies will NOT insure a vessel in Cuba or Haiti either.

Other than that, Option #3 is their best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
I concur with option 3 but wonder why the best island in the whole of the Caribbean is not mentioned and that would be Cuba of course and in particular her South Coast and the Jardin de la Reina. Light winds and little rain in the winter. Simply wonderful imho. Otherwise the Thorny Path East is very doable. One also needs to consider the trades going from predominantly ne to se as the season progresses.

Also would not miss Haiti. You will never forget either.
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:21   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome Aboard Rich and Helen!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:31   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
If the OP has limited time, save the time for South Pacific islands. They blow away anything in the E Carib, plus they are all downwind. Voluntarily heading straight into Carib Tradewinds in the peak season is beyond crazy. Why beat youself and the boat to death?
If I really wanted to head from Rio Dulce to the E Carib as a cruiser, not a delivery, I'd work my way to the US East Coast (see Cuba and Bahamas in winter) and spend the summer up north (Maine or Canadian Maritimes). Then in fall head offshore to the E Carib.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 17:39   #11

Boat: Tom Colvin Gazelle 42ft

One could consider option 5:

Assuming insurance coverage sail from the Rio Dulce North to Belize and Mexico then cross over to the South Coast of Cuba, Haiti and from Haiti cross over the Caribbean and head to Columbia. Because of the current and trades this might be hard on the wind depending. If good to windward the ABC islands might be possible. More so of course from say Puerto Rico.Then from Columbia to the San Blas. This would cover the best of the Caribbean imho. We did part of this route from the Rio Dulce years ago and the latter part from the Bahamas later and it was super special. All of the places mentioned are more interesting than the super busy and expensive Eastern Caribbean

When you are enjoying the magnificent southern Pacific you will think back pleasantly on the culture rich western Caribbean

Enjoy

Jim
Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 03:22   #12

Boat: Ill tell you in the next month when we buy

Thank you all for your feed back and advice. To expand slightly, whilst I am an RYA Yacht Master, I have not been out for a while also want to try to ease my family into cruising (wife and 8+9 yrs old) slowly; off shore sialing is more my thing then then Helens who up to now, id more of a day Island hoping cruiser.

Plan is to sail for 2019 in the Caribbean and build up everyone sea legs and experience, probably hang out in the ABCs over Hurricane season before crossing the panama dec 19 and the out through the pacific once everyone is more comfortable with not seeing land for 3 weeks.
I like option 3. It would provide the opportunity to visit Caymans, cuba, PR etc but I dont want to put the family off. Otherwise I might get to meet me in PR and pick up some crew and push East on my own. Didnt know about insurance in Cuba , thanks. Ideally I wanted to buy in the Leeward/windward Islands. I am still in Australia and have not purchased the boat yet. Looking to buy mid Nov 18 and need to take boat location into consideration. Thanks for your advice, Rich
Old 21-10-2018, 03:27   #13

Quote:
Meh, the W Carib is also a great cruising ground and not so crowded and expensive. [emoji16]
Old 21-10-2018, 03:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heforeman View Post
Thank you all for your feed back and advice. To expand slightly, whilst I am an RYA Yacht Master, I have not been out for a while also want to try to ease my family into cruising (wife and 8+9 yrs old) slowly; off shore sialing is more my thing then then Helens who up to now, id more of a day Island hoping cruiser.

Plan is to sail for 2019 in the Caribbean and build up everyone sea legs and experience, probably hang out in the ABCs over Hurricane season before crossing the panama dec 19 and the out through the pacific once everyone is more comfortable with not seeing land for 3 weeks.
I like option 3. It would provide the opportunity to visit Caymans, cuba, PR etc but I dont want to put the family off. Otherwise I might get to meet me in PR and pick up some crew and push East on my own. Didnt know about insurance in Cuba , thanks. Ideally I wanted to buy in the Leeward/windward Islands. I am still in Australia and have not purchased the boat yet. Looking to buy mid Nov 18 and need to take boat location into consideration. Thanks for your advice, Rich
If you want to ease them in slowly then a bash all the way across the Carib basin wont do that. Why not cruise the W Carib for a while then make more challenging jumps?
Old 21-10-2018, 03:48   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by heforeman View Post

Quite a few boats available here in Chaguaramos, Trinidad
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guatemala, leeward islands