Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 09:16   #1

Question Guadeloupe to Mexico, route advise needed

We have to sail from Guadeloupe to Mexico quite fast and I am looking for advice for the most comfortable and fast route.

So far I have been considering Guadeloupe-Dominican Republic-Cayman Islands-Mexico (going north of Jamaica) or a direct one-leg route from Guadeloupe to near Honduras and then north to Mexico (passing South of Jamaika). The final destination is Cozumel.

We have to be in Mexico as soon as possible, but one or two stops would make things more comfortable. So far we have ruled out stopping in Jamaica for security reasons and not all the crew have US visas so the Virgin Islands are also not an option. Any ideas will be most welcome. What is the easiest way to utilize the winds and currents to our advantage?

P.S. I hope this is in the right forum. If not, please advise where to put it.
Geko21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 11:27   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Guadeloupe to Mexico, route advise needed

Geko,
I think this will help some....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko21 View Post
We have to sail from Guadeloupe to Mexico quite fast and I am looking for advice for the most comfortable and fast route.
Although there is a small difference in the number of miles, here are my thoughts....
1) In general, you'll have East to NE winds (15-25 kts) no matter what route you choose....perhaps a bit more wind if you're too far south along the route and/or if you pass too close to Mona and Windward Passages....
And, you'll have a favorable current (mostly a Westerly or WNW setting current) of 1/2 kt to 3/4 kt most of the way.....
Seas will generally be 6' - 8'....
2) In general, the further south thru the Caribbean you sail your route, the higher the wind speeds and larger the seas will be / the further north (closer to Hispanola) you sail your route, the more moderate the winds/seas will be....

3) Also be aware that as you near the Cayman's / near 20*N x 80*W, you'll have some weather influences from N. American continental weather, such as stalled / dissipated cold fronts over Cuba, etc....

4) Taking the above into consideration, a direct rhumb-line course taking you south of the DR and staying just south of Jamaica (or going just north of Jamaica, not much difference except for possible strong NE winds north of Jamaica), should be a good compromise....and would give you a fast passage...
As for "comfortable", it should be okay as it is all downwind or broad-reaching, with mostly following seas (or on the stern quarter)....

(If you choose to break-up your passage, you could stop in the DR....depends on whether you desire to stop or not....)

5) Your EXACT route is probably going to be determined by the weather you have upon departure, what is forecast for your route, and what you end up having along your route....
So, it is difficult to give exact routing advice here....
But, heading west to central amer. and then north to Cozumel would NOT be my recommendation....
And, a more direct route is what I'd recommend....

I hope this helps....
Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 11:35   #3

Re: Guadeloupe to Mexico, route advise needed

Thanks a lot John!
Actually this is very helpful and follows my own line of thoughts. We may well do it in one stretch.
Geko21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guadeloupe, Mexico, route