Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 17:19   #1

Boat: Hunter 49 - Quenched
Grenadine Charter Bases

When I last sailed the Grenadines a few years ago I used Horizon out of Grenada and had a great experience. I am planning a trip for this winter and was wondering about other options and peoples opinion. TMM, Moorings and Footloose have bases there and I am sure others. Barefoot in St Vincent is an option (although I have heard mixed reviews on Barefoot). Any one have opinions? (dumb question) I mean any one have opinions they would like to share?

Kevin
s/v Maelstrom
Old 08-10-2011, 13:46   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Grenadine Charter Bases

In Grenada you have The Moorings in St Georges Lagoon (Port Louis Marina) and Horizon Yacht Charter in True Blue on the south coast. Both are reputable and popular.
- - If you are only looking at a week charter and want to do the Grenadines then maybe the outfits in Blue Lagoon, SVG would be better. It takes a whole day to sail from southern Grenada to the Grenadines, although the sail is quite pleasant.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 20:32   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Moorings has a base in Canouan, right in the middle of the Grenadines. I havent been to Canouan - didnt hear great things about it but it is very close to really great places to visit and sail
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 22:04   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander

We have used TMM in the BVI several times and have been treated well and are using them in the Grenadines this year. If you're not leaving untill after February 1st I'll let you know how it works.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:19   #5

I used Barefoot out of St. Vincent in Oct 2010 and have a contract on Betty Blue, a Beneteau 505, for Feb 2012. They offer well maintained boats and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly.
CaptainBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:52   #6

Boat: Hunter 49 - Quenched

Thanks for the Iinput... Another question ... I have been told there is a new simplified immigration process between Grenada and The Grenadines. Is this true and has any one experieinced it?
Old 09-10-2011, 13:32   #7

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)

As of June 2011 it was same routine that I've seen for the last 3 years between Hillsborough, Carriacou and Clifton, Union. On Union I have yet to find the in-town offices open and now just go straight to the airport. The customs/immigration folks are some of the nicest I've met.

Dave L38 #38 Blue Lagoon SVG
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 13:36   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Noonsite: St Vincent & the Grenadines

The eseaclear online clearance system wasn't available last time I was in the Grenadines. Looks worth checking into.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
Moorings has a base in Canouan, right in the middle of the Grenadines. I havent been to Canouan - didnt hear great things about it but it is very close to really great places to visit and sail
Originally, The Moorings was based in Mt Hartman Bay on the south coast of Grenada, but the 2-days lost to charter customers getting from Grenada to the Grenadines convinced them to move to Canouan Island.
- - However, Hurricane Ivan and the problems of connecting air flights from Grenada or St Vincent to Canouan for their customers has convinced them to move part of their operation back to Grenada. The now have a base at Port Louis Marina in St Georges which is 15 minutes from Grenada's international airport.
- - For a week's charter you can either sail the south coast of Grenada's many bays or head up to Carriacou in the Grenadines (which is part of Grenada) and even Petite Martinique and PSV (which is in a sort of "neutral zone" between Grenada and SVG). So there are great opportunities for doing some sailing and fantastic places to stop and swim, snorkel, or scuba dive and never leave Grenadian waters.
- - I have never been a great fan of SVG and the northern Grenadines (except for Bequia) as they are over run with way too many European and other charterers out of Blue Lagoon, St Vincent. I don't like crowds of rowdy and rude charterers. We get them down as far as PSV but the numbers are reduced to a half dozen rather than a hundred. In my experiences the northern and central Grenadines have very crowded anchorages in season.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - I have never been a great fan of SVG and the northern Grenadines (except for Bequia) as they are over run with way too many European and other charterers out of Blue Lagoon, St Vincent. I don't like crowds of rowdy and rude charterers. We get them down as far as PSV but the numbers are reduced to a half dozen rather than a hundred. In my experiences the northern and central Grenadines have very crowded anchorages in season.
chacun à son goût

I've been in the Grenadines in all sorts of weathers, and never found crowds or crowded anchorages, except maybe once in Saltwhistle Bay on one particular occasion when a bunch of motor-boat heads decided to try and take the place over. I believe they were owner-cruisers, rather than charterers. Other than that, I'm pleased to say neither my friends nor myself have never been subjected to crowds of rowdy and rude sailers.

I agree with Dave, the customs/immigration guys in Union are some of the nicest around. Union is alway very interesting and fun to visit. The colours of the waters in the reef are stunning.

I've always found customs/immigration in Bequia to be very courteous and efficient also.

Canouan where the Moorings have a base can be awkward if there is a big swell. Otherwise it works fine and is nice to visit or charter out of.

Donald Street says that the anchorage on the windward side of Canouan is one of his world-wide favourites. I've never gone in to it as I've been a little bit wary based on seeing the reefs in the anchorage while flying over it. It looks phenomenally beautiful but to me appears an anchorage for the courageous.
keseyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 17:10   #11

One of the things about cruising is "timing." Some folks encounter crowded conditions and thieves while a week or two later everything is totally different and nice. It is something you get used to. Especially when one or two folks talk nice or talk not nice about a place, you may have a totally different experience when you get there.

Tags
charter