Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 17:49   #16

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v
Re: Grenada to Bequia and Back 9 Days June

Earthmover - you must have moved the earth ... you obviously went to Customs after hours to have to go to the airport. There is a Customs & Immigration office on the waterfront now. It must must be really old info, surely the OP is looking for current.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 18:04   #17

Anyway, I'm out of here. Enjoy the Windward Islands.
Old 20-02-2019, 04:36   #18

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie Swart View Post
Earthmover - you must have moved the earth ... you obviously went to Customs after hours to have to go to the airport. There is a Customs & Immigration office on the waterfront now. It must must be really old info, surely the OP is looking for current.
I was there 3 years ago and 5 years ago in the daytime and was advised to go to the airport by locals as there was less of a line-up. I am there again this April and will give your advice a shot. When were you there last? How long were you at Customs? Any info is appreciated. There was a professional skipper clearing in at the airport at the same time I was 3 years ago.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 05:16   #19

Last check out in Bequia was 19/12/2018 and Union Island was May 2018. Just be careful, they like charging overtime during their lunch hour between 12-1pm.
Old 20-02-2019, 08:27   #20

Hi I have an 8 day cruise coming up in May with DYC as well. I very much want to make it to Bequia and have developed a couple of itineraries that could make it feasible.

One suggestion is to clear out of Port Louise when you leave DYC, you can still have a stop at sandy island for the night and then head strait to Bequia the next morning and not have to wait to clear out. The itinerary doesn't allow us to stop and clear in at Union but head strait to Bequia from Carriacou. This will make a longer sail. From what I understand must people that make the up wind haul to Bequia do it from Mayrau or Canouan. So if you can stop off in Union to check in probably be better.

I have told the crew that we would only go to Bequia if the wind is favourable and more out of the east than NE. Will have to play it by ear. Almost two months to go. DIF is strong after this crappy winter in Canada.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:26   #21

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I spent several years wintering in Trinidad and doing the Bequia Easter regatta. We usually took one day to get to Prickly Bay, anchored overnight with a yellow flag, then completed the trip to Bequia the next day. Its mostly close reaching on one tack, and motoring in the lee of Grenada. If we were taking a more leisurely approach we would spend the night at union island and have a nice dinner ashore.

The point is that Grenada to Bequia and back in 9 days doesn't seem too rushed. Its a pretty doable one day trip from Prickly Bay to Admiralty Bay (10 hrs at 7.5 knots), especially on the way back south.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 10:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
Eventually get back to Union to clear Customs out of SVG. Then back to Tyrrel and clear into Customs for your return to Grenada. Do not wait until Grenada to do this. Do it at Carriacou. Get the 2019-2020 Sailors Guide to Windward Islands online and read up. Grenada is my favourite place in the World.
Hi Earth mover, my itinerary has us checking out at union and then a stop for the night at PSV, and then a strait sail the next morning to prickly bay to check in, a night there or over by hog island. Then returning the boat the next day by 12:00 noon.

Just curious, why do you recommend not waiting to check in at Grenada and to check in at Carriacou?

Thx!
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 10:36   #23

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhuntington View Post
After 4 trips in the BVI now looking towards first trip to Grenada this June of 2019. Flights are booked and 45 2019 Lagoon Cat with Dream Yachts is reserved for crew of 8. Last time in BVI, we did have waves of 8 feet on first day and my family was just fine. Of course it settled to 4 feet and was quite pleasant. Should I expect bigger waves as we sail from North tip of Grenada to Carriacou?

I have been reading about boat boys, security and rough going north but still committed to the trip. Any updates on security in the area and other tips?

Is June a bad idea? Unfortunately, I am juggling times with college and senior in high school students and young working adults, so June was the only time that worked for entire family. Has anyone out there sailed this area in June? Obviously, if weather is bad we stay on anchor or mooring ball.

Overall it is a 9 day 10 night trip. My plan (weather permitting) is to sail as far as Bequia with stops in Carriacou, Union, Tobago Cay, Bequia and then back to Louis Marina on Grenada. Our group loves to snorkel and may try kite sailing on Union too.
You can expect more showers in june.
It's not unsaillable weather but di bring wet weather gear.
Waves...yes they can be bigger but should not be too short. BVIs gets short uncomfortable waves. You will get swell more then anything else. Bring seasickness patches.
You will be sailing upwind from Grenada to Bequia
Cats are not the best at that. But coming back should be a fast sail.

Boat boys are ok
Yes they can be persistent but they are just trying to make a living
Security is not much more of an issue than anywhere else. Lock all doors, windows hatches when leaving and don't leave valuables in sight.
At night stay in a group.

Union...everything is $30 at Union. Don't buy stuff there unless you need to.
To kite surf there you will take a mooring ball in Clifton. Hardly any space for anchors.
DO ask who is the owner and if you go to his restaurant you might get a free ball for the night.

If you stop a Tobago cays you don't need a mooring ball. Go around the mooring field to the sand bank and anchor in about 8 feet.
You still have to pay the park fees to anchor.
Great snorkelling near the dingy pass. The best is to have someone stay in the dingy and drift along the reef on the ocean side. Sharks Rays Turtles big fish.
If not stay near the dingy mooring for a great time.
Ask Romeo for the best Lobster if they are open in june.

Mayreau. Salt Whistle bay is great. Picture perfect beach. Last bar before the jungle for a great time. If they are open.
Do walk up the road to the Village and visit. There is a nice little church up there and people are friendly. I always bring school supplies for the kindergarten next to the church. Great vantage point to take picture of Tobago cays.

Mind de reefs between Mayreau and Tobago keys. Use charts and GPS. Easy to spot. If you see brown do not sail there.

Bequia. Lots of room to anchor.
Whale boner is a great bar but do ask where the party is tonight has it seems to move from one bar to the next
You have ATM, Groceries, fuel, and other supplies there
Ask Zorro taxi for a guided tour of the island in his safari style pick up.
He is the best
Do not anchor to close to the dingy docks...specialy the one near the ferry dock. Unless you like waves at night.
Mooring are sketchy. If you have a northern swell do not stay there or use the balls.

Sailing back if you have time or need water
Stop at Petit St-Vincent and go to the reception desk and ask for a tour of the resort. Tip $30
For water Petit Martinique has a water dock. Easy to dock has you take it form the starboard side. Much easier and cheaper than Union.

Have fun
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 15:03   #24

Planning a similar trip,9 day charter, but really only 7 full sailing days. Were you able to get to Bequia, and was it too rushed? Were id you clear customs and how much time did it take. We did a one way charter from St Lucia to Grenada and had a great time, just thinking it might be too much for a 9 day trip
joeelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 16:04   #25

Boat: Challenger 7.4 but looking for 30-40ft with a wheel

2 days to Bequia. We stayed 3 nights for Easterval. 1 day to Tobago Cays. You could do it.
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 16:05   #26

Don't stop at Canouan as there is a long distance swimmer that likes night swimming and boards boats on a regular basis and steals what he can.
Old 24-08-2019, 06:18   #27

Thank you to all that commented on this post. I should update all from my first time experience in Grenada and St. Vincent. So here we go.

1. The Unplanned: Weather flying from USA caused us to miss our connecting flight from Atlanta on Delta and guess what Delta in June only flies once a week to Grenada.
They you to American Airlines for accommodating us. We did lose 1 day of travel.
So our 9 day trip became 8 days. The other little problem is we had 10 bags checked for our group and zero of the checked bags made it on our first day in Grenada which was a Sunday. We got 5 bags on Tuesday that were ferried to Carricacou and the rest when we ended our sailing trip back in Port Louis, Grenada.

2. No Bags and its a Sunday in Grenada. The only stores open were grocery stores. Thankfully we could finishing stocking up for the trip. We did order provisions ahead of time but not everything and some of those things were in our bags that got lost due to the delay in Atlanta. I am a million mile flyer on Detla so bag check was free. Bad decision on my part as I convnced my 2 daughters, Wife and myself to even through in our carry on clothing bags. My Son, girlfriend, other daughter and husband carried theirs on. Travel reminder always have some clothing with you on the plan, not checked you never know.

3. Its Monday in Grenada and we decided to sail off and keep it close to Port Louis. So we sailed outside the harbor and snorkeled the Dragon Bay area. This was about 4 miles from the harbor. We had a great time in Dragon Bay. We went back to port in Port Louis to check for our bags from American. No bags and it is Monday in Grenada which was a National Holiday! It is basically another Sunday and only grocery stores. No tshirts, no shirts to be bought anywhere. Tip check the local calendars so not to be surprised by back to back Sunday's for provisioning.

4. Security: We had no problems with boat people or anyone hoping on board unexpectedly. The people on Grenada, Carriacou, Tobago Cay, Union Island, etc. we all very nice and we were honest with them when we did not need anything. We locked up, carried important documents with us and made sure the dink was locked up for the evening. The people in the area were great.

5. Restaraunts: In June some places were closed. Lazy Turle was one place closed. It is also no lobsters during this time. But there was plenty of other great meals to be had. In Tobago Cay, we connected with a boat guy for dinner on the boat. Fantastic experience but not necessarily cheep either. My recommendation on the money thing is Double what you think you need as cash is the guranteed way of doing business. Don't bring any wrinkled USA dollars of any sort. People won't take them. ECD is the easiest way to pay for things. Union Island Clifton does have ATMs.

6. What did we see? Whales between Grenada Island and Carricou about 2 miles west of the Volcano area in 6000 feet of water. It was a crazy experience as I first thought it was something floating or the captain lost his depth finder mind! Lots of turtles in Tobago Cay. The kids loved them. Snorkling was great in Dragon Bay, Sand Island, Tobago Cay Reef area. Lot's of fish, Sting Rays and turtles throughout. We also had some nice but hot hikes on a few of the islands too.

7. The weather and wind: Winds were great ranging 10 to 20 knots most of the time. there was a 30 to 40 percent chance of rain everyday but we never got rained on until the last day going to get fuel. Temperatures were around 85 to 90 degrees fahrenheit. We did have generator on the 45 foot Lagoon Cat so we ran air at night. I tried one evening without and the crew wanted to through Dad overboard the next day. Waves were never much more than 6 feet. We had some nice ones around the Kick Em Jenny area sailing North but really nothing too bad.

8. Fun places: If you like to dance in the Sand, request your own music and see great sunset Happy Place on Union Island was great fun. My kids also tried the kite sailing here. They did not get much accomplished as it was their first time. Tobago Cay was great. We weren't as much of a fan of the Salt Whistle area on Mayreau. Beautiful spot but the locals were a bet too pesty here.

9. Other troubles: Broken cable on the steering. You remember a lot very quickly when this happens. We steered manually with one person aft and myself at the helm and also learned that the auto pilot still works when this happens. Many of you know this but it never dawn on me. We were over 70 miles from Port Louis when this happened. Luckily we had a downwind sail back to Grenada. Dream Yahct did send someone to fix it but they never could get the right cable and splice failed. I also had one person lose their documents on my crew from the airport. We had to fast boat back to Tyrell Bay on Carriacou before customs at Union Island would let us officially clear. Customs was no problem. 45 minutes. Just make sure you check in and out of each country with all of the documents for each person and your boat papers.

Finally. Yes, we will do again. Probably not in June but that was when my family's stars all aligned for college, weddings, vacations, graduation, etc.. What an awesome family experience and again thank you all for your tips prior. Despite Bags, minor custom issue and broken cable it was still a great trip that my family will remember for ever.

We did not make it to Bequia because we lost the day or so because of flights.
tomhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 09:39   #28

We did order provisions ahead of time

How did you provision with, a local supermarket, or the charter company? Is a supermarket, which one and were the well stocked ? Thanks
Old 25-08-2019, 06:31   #29

We did both. We felt some things were good to get via charter company like heavier things waters, beer, wine, eggs, milk, etc. We did this direct with dream yahct provisioning deliver charge was about 30.00 USD (70 ECD). Most stores were closed on Sunday and the national holiday. We shopped at: Real Value IGA Supermarket. It had everything we needed. We bought shrimp, poultry and burger meat here along with other items like bakery. Also the local taxi talked us into some family fruit. It was so good. The mangos were fantastic. The local taxi also got us into a Grenada gift shop so that we could buy a t-shirt, some shorts for my daughters who had no luggage.

We also bought some things in Tyrell Bay, Carriacou and Clifton Bay, Union Island at some smaller stores.
tomhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 09:17   #30

Thanks for the response Tom. By any chance did you stop in Sauteurs, a small town on the north side of Grenada. The was a sea wall being built and I wonder if it has been completed. Anyone on the forum know anything about it??

Tags
Grenada