Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 19:48   #1

Grand Cayman and Jamaica

What are the main things I need to know about boating, (anchoranges and marinas) in Grand Cayman and Jamaica? We are experienced boaters, having 15,000 miles under the keel, but we have never been to Grand Cayman and Jamaica.
sadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 20:19   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Grand Cayman and Jamaica

I can answer Grand Caymans for you, we spent 3 weeks there recently...

There is no anchoring on or near the reefs or off George Town but there are 4 free moorings. However, when a norther comes in these moorings are untenable and quite dangerous with breaking waves and everyone evacuates to 3 or 4 moorings on the south side. There are also designated anchor spots on the south side to be used with permission of port control.

On the north side there is a large shallow sound, 7-10ft, with a marina but it is shallow and hard to get more than a 6-7 ft draft into the entrance. North sound is the best place to be in bad weather. However, again in bad northers port control will close the entry.

Port control and immigrations are very nice and there are no fees but the cost of living is high.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 20:23   #3

So basically, you don't recommend Grand Cayman for cruisers.
sadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 20:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Used to visit Jamaica every year. Have sailed there a couple of times in the past. If I went there again it would be with great care. Crime and hard drugs are serious problems in Jamaica and the risk factor is getting higher than my comfort level.

Grand Cayman much more laid back. Previous poster wasn't saying not to go, just pointing out limitation on anchoring.

Check noonsite.com for details on both.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 20:38   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 38

I commuted from the TCI's to Cayman is 2006 with a stop over in Ocho Rios for fuel, and the crew wanted a cheese burger in paradise, I stayed with the vessel.
I have had no bad experiences with Jamaica but didn't get a good feeling in my gut both times I've been there. Both times have been just day stops and someone was alway on board.

Cayman does not have much for anchorages, but there are over 150 mooring balls throughout the three islands. They are not intended for overnight or long term use, but I have not had any issues, other than some divemaster beaking at me one morning after I dinghied in to RENT tanks from him, about spending the night on one. I asked him if he preferred I rake my anchor across the coral instead. Anyway, you will need to check in and out on the West side of the island at the down town water front. It can be quite rocky and rolly at times because of tender traffic from the cruise ships. It's nice to move a little North along seven mile beach and drop a hook if front of the Westin or Ritz hotels.

Depending on your draft 6' or less, you can get into North Sound and find anchorage in Governors harbour, which is not to bad, and if you go further in to Lime Tree bay, you are walking distance to a Cost-U-Less and some good restaurants.

Hope this helps

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:34   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

There's a terrible fine for anchoring on or near the coral at Cayman. The six or seven cruise ships that call every day makes checking in at the quay a nightmare.
It was a difficult beat to get to Montego Bay and I had to med tie to the fuel dock because of lack of room. At Port Royal I had to pay hotal rates to tie up to their dock and locals dropped baggies of rock cocain in frount of me as an offer to sell as I walked to the customs office.
I didn't spend to much time in Jamica.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jamaica