Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 12:33   #1

Grand Cayman, Anchorages, Pets

Any suggestions for a marina or anchorage in Grand Cayman for a boat with a 6 foot draft? We like to have 10 feet of water. Does anyone have any experience checking into Grand Cayman with pets? We have two cats on board that never leave the boat. Thanks.
Susancruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 13:02   #2

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts
Re: Grand Cayman, anchorages, pets

We were in Grand Cayman last month and asked about that. I was told that you are not allowed to live aboard. period. They are very concerned about appearance, and don't want to see laundry hanging from someones boom. I was also told you will get a huge fine for dropping an anchor unless its an emergency. Don't know about pets, and didnt see any sailboats on seven mile beach. I did, however, see plenty of big sailboats in the bay. This dosent really answer you question, but thats what I was told.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 13:24   #3

Boat: Leopard 43

We brought or dog with us and were required to have current rabies shots, a Titer test, and she had to have a microchip. Our dog file is bigger than the one for the boat.

CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 13:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Holiday View Post
We brought or dog with us and were required to have current rabies shots, a Titer test, and she had to have a microchip. Our dog file is bigger than the one for the boat.

CJ

Is what I was told accurate about living aboard?
Old 30-03-2012, 15:42   #5

Hi Matt,

I have not heard that yet. I know of a few people living on their boats and have been doing so for years. I know cruisers can stay for up to 6 months with no fees. Just grab one of the free moorings provided. Anchoring is allowed but it must be in the sand away from the reefs.

There is a great cruising guide online for free at Cayman Islands Cruising Guide

Check it out and it might have more info than I.
Old 30-03-2012, 16:16   #6

Yeah, I've been to Cayman 3 times by air and not seen many boats. Not really much there of great interest anyway. They are set up to milk the tourist dollar. No matter where 4 of us ate, it was very difficult 15 years ago to eat for less than $150.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Best anchorage is in a artifical harbor on the west side of the north bight. Near the yacht club/ marina which was still mostly closed down due to hurrican damage 3 years agoi. No problems for 6 feet. There is a launch ramp across from Costco type store you can take your dinghy to.

I would imagine if you don't say anything about the cats the immigration guys will see them but not ask. Long way from town at that anchorage. You can take a free mooring off the town, but very rolly.

There are some liveaboards about, but import duty is so high on a boat that you're better of in an apartment on shore I would guess. Ironic as is such a tax haven for megayachts!

Won't see any large yacht flying the CI flag in the CI!!
Boatguy30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 19:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
Yeah, I've been to Cayman 3 times by air and not seen many boats. Not really much there of great interest anyway. They are set up to milk the tourist dollar. No matter where 4 of us ate, it was very difficult 15 years ago to eat for less than $150.
Must have had a lot of drinks. I eat out at nice places here all the time for under $40 for the 2 of us.

Lots of great diving here as well
Old 31-03-2012, 10:08   #9

Re: Grand Cayman, Anchorages, Pets

Yeah, I was there for the diving and it is great. We tried to find retaurants off the beaten path but werent very sucessful...

Old 31-03-2012, 10:23   #10

Boat: Oyster 55

Cheechako, please inform me where in the Caribbean they are not set to "milk the tourist dollar". There are a lot of less unsophisticated islands but they all milk the dollar in their own ways. After all, other than boat building, fishing, a few fruits and vegetables and ganja there is nothing left other than tourism and that's where you fit in. These people have children to feed too and it is not like they can go to work in a silicon valley. However don't forget that the Cayman's other than great diving, and having one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean is also an amazing financial center for it's size. By the way you can also eat cheaply in Manhattan if you know where to go.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:36   #11

Yeah I hear ya, but I guess it's a sliding scale. Cayman being near the top. Bahamas (other than Paradise Isl)...hell... they dont seem to care if you want to spend money! DR is more just a "normal" culture... not waiting... drooling for the next cruise ship. Etc etc... there are a lot of places with real forests and palm trees and a non tourist attitude. Too much rock and low scrub on Cayman for me to think they should be expensive. But hey, whatever turns a person on is good. I had fun there, it's just different than other places I guess.... Maybe my initial post was a little strong (?), just hard for me to imagine wanting to visit there by sailboat... JMHO

Old 31-03-2012, 11:05   #12

Boat: Oyster 55

Cheechako,
the only thing I could add is just don't forget if you are in the Cayman's it's also just an overnight sail to Cuba!
cheers and good sailing
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:18   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

To us it's just a stop, to rest up if we need it ! and we have picked up a few fruits and veggies there a time or two, but it's not really a place we would care to stay even for the diving ! theres so much good diving thru out the Carrib I really don't worry about that! LOL And I catch plenty of fish at sea !! LOL most of my diving these days is to ck the anchor and the wheel !! just 2 cents from a old guy
Old 31-03-2012, 15:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Holiday View Post
Hi Matt,

I have not heard that yet. I know of a few people living on their boats and have been doing so for years. I know cruisers can stay for up to 6 months with no fees. Just grab one of the free moorings provided. Anchoring is allowed but it must be in the sand away from the reefs.

There is a great cruising guide online for free at Cayman Islands Cruising Guide

Check it out and it might have more info than I.
That's great to know. I love the diving there.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21   #15

Susancruise are you looking to keep your boat in Grand Cayman or simply passing through?

We were there last year and were not made aware of any non-liveaboard rules. we stayed a month. Picked up a free mooring as directed by the harbour master. Off seven mile beach. Stayed there until it got a bit too rolly then moved round to the other side of the peninsula. Pretty shallow entrance through the reef but plenty of boats seem to do it.There are a couple of marinas in there. We anchored in a small cut that was very protected but a bit hot and buggy. Good dinghy access to shore though :-)

You won't see many cruising boats as it's pretty much off the beaten track for most.

We found the place expensive but some good grocery stores to provision in if you are heading to Cuba.

They are strict with animal quarantine,you need to check out whether they are happy that the cats don't leave the boat. Okay maybe if you are at anchor but a bit more of a problem in a marina.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages