Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 07:19   #1

Boat: Boatless
Going South of Trinidad

Where are there safe places to cruise and get out of hurricane zone south of Trinidad? Suriname? Northern Brazil? Are there any good cruising guides?

Phil & Nell
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:55   #2

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Well Northern Brazil is around 1300nm from Trinidad and prevailing winds and currents are against you... You will need a lot of sea room and or a good engine...

Venezuela is probably still the best crusing ground of choice for those seeking a cruising experience during the season....even in light of the recent tragety re Kenneth Peters... I still believe most cruiser would avail themself of really quite beautiful islands and national parks, which i sail without any problems.

Although I can understand a persons desire to find an alternative, an area that i believe would be extremely interesting is the east coast rivers of Venezuela, especially the Orinoco, which are navigable far into their tropical forest Puerto Ordaz. (I shall do it one day). I have travelled the area by car and there is a myriad of gunkhole opportunities with some rather large towns for provisioning. In my experience people are friendly and helpful (although a least basic Spanish would be useful).

I have visited both Suriname and Guyana on business which allowed some sightseeing, the former was more tranquil. I have now idea as to cruising possibilities, although if i remember correctly both had navigable rivers, of some length. They certaily have large commercial ports, but I cannot remember seeing marinas.

I belive Doyles has a cruisingbook on Guyana.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 13:15   #3

There is usually info with the cruisers who are in Trinidad for going up the river. I have friends who did it. You need the latest hand drawn charts to enter the river delta... those "shifting whispering sands". it is a highly touted trip. I would have went up but couldnt afford to risk my expensive boat. With a 32 footer I would have went. If their web site is still up there are many pictures of the trip: www.svlisa.com/ an experience of a lifetime. Usually good to go with at least one other boat. Trinidad is hurricane safe...or did youmean while you are waiting it out?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago