Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 04:55   #16
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Getting ready for first ever sailing adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee_King View Post
I am 235 days away (aka Nov 29th) from sailing away from Key west, and I’m looking for some advice.

NEED TO DO
SAILING LESSONS!!

Other than the trip from Fort Myers, to Key West when I bought the boat, I’ve never sailed in my life.
Well I think you need to spend some time sailing! Plus I think it unwise to take a boat that has not been sailed much and has had a lot of work done on it out on a bog trip before getting a lot of shake down time. So I think you should be doing a lot of day and weekend local sailing
Old 09-05-2021, 05:37   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Getting ready for first ever sailing adventure

If your crossing oceans I would go for the solar arch, however I don't think davits are a good idea in the ocean.
Find the smallest, lightest dinghy you can manage alone and carry it lashed on the fore deck.. davits are great for short coast hopping trips and may look okay but.. the dinghy adds windage aft, is hard to lash securely to stop it rubbing and is generally more bother than they're worth.
You could opt for what I did which was to have a made to measure solar arch that raked over the stern with fittings for a couple of blocks so it doubled as dinghy davits for inshore sailing on a Bene 331 I bought... however I still carried the dinghy lashed on the fore deck on long trips.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:43   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shawshank.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:19   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I think you are on the right track for your sailing adventure. Don't be fearful of the boat itself, some people are obsessed about hull thickness and the like and make choices based on these things. I think your boat can carry you across oceans.

For ocean crossings (or even extended coastal cruising)I would want to make sure I had:
  • Solar panels sufficient to keep you batteries up for a 24 hour usage (or minimum 75% of your 24hr usage), and you need a plan for the remainder. Probably engine powered alternator
  • Wind vane
  • Small Head sail (on the roller furler or hanked on) and learn to use it.
  • Good electronic charting system, (not necessarily an expensive chart plotter)
  • Capability to receive weather fax, grib files, and text or voice weather forecasts
  • Sun protection while underway
  • Water carrying capacity for 15 days usage, fuel for 250 miles motoring.
  • Small dingy you can stow on deck partially or fully deflated, and small outboard engine
  • Externally regulated high amp alternator
  • Spare parts for essential systems, including alternator and external regulator, autopilot drive, pumps, etc.

Things to do or avoid:
  • Do sail your boat often. Set a schedule (like weekly) and go out regardless of the weather (hurricanes excepted) to get more experience and confidence
  • Do not build a radar arch, this adds windage and weight in the wrong places and reduces your sailing capability
  • Learn to keep your boat, both on deck and inside the cabin, organized and tidy and ready for sea, including everything properly stowed or very well lashed, keep your cabin sole clear. You want nothing to go adrift in heavy weather, and keep access to bilges and through hulls clear.

Tags
sail, sailing