Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2012, 18:55   #16

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Re: Georgetown to Nassau -itinerary Help !!!!

Do ya like snorkeling? Then Staniel Cay for sure. This guy was one of the thousands of stars of Thunderball Grotto, two showings daily, be sure to tip your server. He was long-suffering, letting me practice my underwater photography. "Don't you have the shot yet, lady? I'm growing old, here...." Not just fish but nurse sharks, rays, and bright coral.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 10:15   #17

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Georgetown to Nassau -itinerary Help !!!!

[QUOTE=nautical62;998002]
Don't feel bad if you spend a night in Elizabeth Harbour before heading north. A community of hundreds of anchored boats isn't really my thing, but I do understand why it appeals to many.

This time of year it's a community of about 10-15 anchored boats, plus a bunch stored on moorings @ Stocking island.

You can always run up to Rat Cay Cut to go in if the weather's bad. About 18 miles if I remember rightly. Then you can visit Barretarre (Norman Lloyd's Fishermans Inn has reopened, it's smaller but the food's still great, Same Old Place is also fun). I'm assuming the cat you charter has shallow draft, less than 4' to work around Pigeon Cay and go into Barretarre.

Then one of my favorite anchorages just a few miles up the inside to where Lee Stocking Island joins Williams Cay. A short hike to a great view overlooking Exuma Sound.

If the weather's bad you can instead leave Barretarre via Pudding Point and run up the Westside to Little Farmers or Black Point/Staniel Cay. See the Explorer Charts. Alternatively, if you are confident in your water reading ability you can run the Pimblico's route as described in Steve Pavilidis' Exuma Guide.

If the weather's good instead of bad you can go back out via Adderly Cut and return to the inside at Cave Cay or Little Farmers or any of several others.

Farther North in the Exuma Park Shroud Cay is a delightful place to anchor and explore with the dinghy. Uninhabited and beautiful.

Not to mention the places already mentioned. A week is too short but you'll have a reason to come back.
Enjoy.
Old 30-07-2012, 17:10   #18

Thank you everyone .... Great information and leaving this Friday the 3rd for GTown and picking the Cat 4 ft draft. This being the first time with kids 11, 10, 8 we are on a schedule. Bought Steve's guide and explorer charts for planning. Thanks Steve - a wealth of information. Thanks again. Will report back with the route taken.
sailor0007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown, nassau