Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 12:14   #16

Re: Georgetown to Charleston - How Bad ?

@ Don1500 - I have just come through there and am now into FL - the only problem areas are Little Mud River, and Jekyll Creek, both 3.5 feet at MLW. Make sure you go through on a rising tide and you'll have no problems at all. McLellandville even at low tide is good for your draft, and as for the ranges and so on, no challenges there if you simply pay attention.
You need to relax a bit - yes, you have to pay attention, but it's not that onerous....you'll be fine.
Let us know how you manage.
fullandby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:44   #17

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We made the trip numerous times (the latest in Dec 2010) with no trouble. It helps to go with the tide. McClellanville is a neat little place.
Old 24-01-2012, 13:06   #18

And, if you are still in Georgetown, go find the Kudzu Bakery, it'll cure what ails ya.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 13:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I believe I could have made it if I had someone with me. Even if they just did the easy parts I wouldn't have to be on top of everything every second.

This is going in another thread but I was told "Unlimited Gold Coverage" at towboatUS only goes to $2500. Is this true? (I burned that up last week with the tow due to the water pump">raw water pump failing.)
I just copied this link to boatUS page regarding the towing agreement.
BoatUS: Towing Services
It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask your question. My interpretation is that the limit of $2500 or $3000 is the amount they will pay for another tow company if they (boatUS) is not available.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 13:53   #20
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

did the trip 2 yrs ago never touched bottom w 4' draft
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 16:23   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Quote:
I believe I could have made it if I had someone with me. Even if they just did the easy parts I wouldn't have to be on top of everything every second.

This is going in another thread but I was told "Unlimited Gold Coverage" at towboatUS only goes to $2500. Is this true? (I burned that up last week with the tow due to the raw water pump failing.)
False, I have unlimited and its just north of $100 I believe.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 16:27   #22

Boat: Hunter 33

Dont forget to stop at hana bananas
rileydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 14:57   #23

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Georgetown to Charleston - How Bad ? (It aint)

Don are you still considering carrying on? I lost track of the timeline when you decided to take a break. You should do exactly what you feel like doing, and perhaps after being tied up a while, you'll get restless and move on. The poster who said cut down on miles was right on, and honestly the winter chill and higher winds will wear you down after a while.

Heading south is more of the same,(love it) and passing trouble spots on a rising tide, in fair weather, and with plenty of time to kill is much easier than trying to get to a far off marina. If you go slow you can just toss your anchor out when you ground and kedge off when the water comes up. Do you have a modern chartplotter? Mine is basic but really puts you in the channel. I use it because I don't have a working depth sounder. Staying in the channel can be a real art. Do you connect the dots or stay off them, imagining the channel from an aerial view? Getting a feel for marking conventions, and being able to read channel changes, or to pick the right marks sequentially when there are sharp course changes in wide open but shoal water takes some experience. Or taking the outside of bends, which are usually deeper, and watching for current streaming through the deeper sections of the channel when there is a breeze.

Everything is a lot easier singlehanding when the weather is nice...docking, weighing anchor, etc, and hanging out is more relaxing. I think you will really like Charleston or St Simons, or Fernandina Beach for that matter and is well within your skill level should you feel restless and take your time. HAve you put a call out for some crew to help you out? I'm sure someone will hop on if you pay some expenses or even more $ for someone with real credentials who would really focus on teaching. Could be comparable $ to sailing classes, but potentially more useful, and takes you south. Having them help you anchor saves you $40-$80 a night, too.

Give yourself a pat on the back, Cap'n. You covered a lot of miles by yourself and I was worn out following your trip. I sail up and down the coast there, often singlehanded, and I am always exhausted after a few days passage or day after day powering down the ICW. Lying around for days at the other end is SOP on the good ship Cheoah.

Take Care-

Chase
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 15:07   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Disagree on the chartplotter--don't watch it, watch the markers both ahead and over your stern. Watching the chartplotter will surely put you aground. I use my flip-chart book, of course, and it allows me to quickly flip ahead to see what is coming up in the next hour or so, and then flip back to my location. Plus I can easily read it in sunlight anywhere I want to put it for best visibility and comfort at the helm. Get a small fishfinder. Watching the bottom contour can help alert you to shallowing water, and can help you work your way back into deeper water. It's just mud most of the time if you do go aground. Maybe cut your sped back a notch or two if you're feeling anxious about things. Hook up with someone who moves about your speed and knows the Waterway and follow them--that is a sure way to make your life easier. Lots of folks like that doing the waterway. A buddy boat is always a good way to ease tensions, and it's fun to enjoy a sundowner together in the evening.
Old 28-01-2012, 16:10   #25

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I don't endorse watching it, just using it as one of the reference points, along with the other stuff I listed. Agree that relying on it alone is dangerous, and can be hard to not use. Is watching a fishfinder any better? In times of confusion, however, a chart[plotter can really give you a sense of what is going on in the channel. My experience has been very good, and much better than when I started singlehanding, and had to flip paper at the helm with the wind, rain, and spray. I still keep the paper on the table and plot hourly offshore, and keep it in cockpit inshore for small scale view.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 16:14   #26

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I think we're talking about the ICW here, and in most stretches the chartplotter is only good for telling you where you are in relation to mile markers, but it can easily plot a course to one side or the other of the markers where you shouldn't be--the channel is too narrow to follow the chartplotter's line. Sure, crossing some bigger bodies of water it can be useful on the ICW, but not for following "the magenta line." A depthsounder or better yet a fishfinder is essential in the ICW.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:46   #27

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I think we're talking about the ICW here, and in most stretches the chartplotter is only good for telling you where you are in relation to mile markers, but it can easily plot a course to one side or the other of the markers where you shouldn't be--the channel is too narrow to follow the chartplotter's line. Sure, crossing some bigger bodies of water it can be useful on the ICW, but not for following "the magenta line." A depth sounder or better yet a fishfinder is essential in the ICW.
I NEVER use the Chart plotter in narrow channels to plot my course. While going through the Rock Pile (northern Myrtle Beach) The chart plotter said I was aground while I was dead center of the channel. However, I plotted the course on OpenCPN and transferred the plot to the chart plotter. I only use this to give me direction, but it followed where I was better. (The plot from OpenCPN was aground too.) The plotter was off about 100', and in the rock pile that will take off your keel.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04   #28

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:

This is going in another thread but I was told "Unlimited Gold Coverage" at towboatUS only goes to $2500. Is this true? (I burned that up last week with the tow due to the raw water pump failing.)
Not sure. I'd suggest you join seatow then. NIce back up plan if nothing else.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown