Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 01:50   #16

Storm jib is it buy it used then get a iridium phone dont make alot of calls just the ones you need. Its the best piece of safty gear short of a good dry boat!
jpssailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:23   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I don't see a reason why one could not afford a Ham radio over a SSB. It's cheaper and a storm jib.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 11:22   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Can't speak about the west coasts, but once you get through the ditch, since you are going to be on the move and passing through unfamiliar areas I'd go with the storm jib, then the SSB.
Enough has been said about the huge advantages of being able to cocmmunicate with fellow cruisers via SSB, weather access, etc.
I have a cutter rig, and I use the stays'l fairly often with a reefed main when things pipe up. You might give consideration to setting yourself up with something like a good, strong inner forstay and a strong, roller furling stays'l. It will work MUCH better than a partially rolled up genny as a working headsail in strong conditions and can, itself, be partially rolled in if an even smaller sail is needed - which I think would be rare, if ever, as long as you watch your weather. (I plan to install a roller on my stays'l this season.)
Have fun!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 12:49   #19

Hard to answer if I dont know your current sail plan. If you already have a cutter rig (staysail) then:
SSB #1 for weather info/nets
Radar #2 (great for avoiding tankers and the many thunderstorms and squalls in the carribean)

Bottom line is you do need a headsail that works well with two reefs in the main and allows you to make headway, stay flat and under control in 35 knots of wind. From Panama to the caribe is a bit of a bash for sure.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 14:26   #20

Boat: Farrier f27
With all due respect, thinking of serious sailing and not preparing for wind over 25 - 35 kts is naive. You've got to be prepared for conditions you don't desire with the sails & rig to support them.
Comms is second provided you have the capability for watchstanding 24 hrs/day.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 15:13   #21

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
I would say storm jib, radar and then ssb. Storm jib may not be used in a lifetime but if you need it....

Radar is great at night offshore when tired, though AIS may do the same job. I have just bought a NASA unit off ebay in England. Delivered to Canada in 10 days. Haven't hooked it up yet.

I'm not the real social type, I go cruising to go where there are few other boats. So the SSB is low on my list. But f you read the story of the sinking in the Pacific it would be a good argument for having one.
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 15:26   #22

It's tough to choose as Radar is one of my favorite devices. In the Gulf Stream and Caribe I have avoided squalls, waterspouts, tankers etc with it. Up North I have used it entering unknown harbors in a sea of steep 8 foot swells.... it's scary pointing your boat toward a rock coast with 30 knots of wind behind you , surfing toward the beach looking for that little opening to enter after 12 hours of sailing.... However, the SSB (in my case HAM) can help you to plan and avoid weather issues, thus negating the storm jib. However, mother nature aint predictable, so you are going to need a stout staysail or Storm Jib at some point. A good stay sail is pretty much a storm jib to me....just qas tough (or almost) and inboard in a better spot! My Passport 47 sailed wonderfully with the Staysail and two reefs, flat, balanced helm, 7-8 knots... some of the best sailing that boat did actually!
Old 27-05-2009, 15:29   #23

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Amazon.com: Kaito KA1103 Worldband Radio: Electronics

This is what I use to pick up all the SSB Nets which have weather discussions. You can also get a free software that will get you free weather fax's. There was a thread on this a while back. This eliminates the need for a SSB. I have the radio and it works very well. You can google the forums and the radio guys love this radio.

Get a good strong staysail used. there are a lot of used sail lofts on the webb. Probably cost you $200. Have the sailmaker sew in a Dynex Dux luff rope. You can hoist it on a double block halyard without a stay. IF you need mast support use two lengths of Dynex Dux and rig a running back stay. You only need to rig it if you are using the staysail. I want to put mine on a continuous line furler, this way I can drop the sail and stow it or attach it and roll it out. Very handy that furler. Not roller furling, a continuous line furler. Big difference. Furlers | Colligo Marine

I do not use my staysail much, but it is my "get out of dodge" sail. If I have to exit an anchorage because the wind is up, this is the sail I go to. My boat will sail and tack and go to weather in some stiff wind with this staysail alone.

AIS on your laptop plotter is the best money electronics you can buy. For $200 or less you can see around headlands and corners and way over the horizon..... We call the the 50 mile radars..... Radar is not needed. Is nice, but not life and death needed for sure. AIS is so valuable and so cheap, it is amazing really.

With all the money you save you can get a huge anchor...one that friends will look at and laugh......while you sleep well.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 16:21   #24

hmmmm.... I'm not to sure about a free flying staysail or storm Jib. (just my opinion) The staysail stay on my Passport was about 3/8 dia and the staysail was a heavy unit, but keeping the luff tight was a problem when it really piped up. Without a stay it was bound to sag to leeward a long ways I would think.....
Old 27-05-2009, 16:52   #25

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
hmmmm.... I'm not to sure about a free flying staysail or storm Jib. (just my opinion) The staysail stay on my Passport was about 3/8 dia and the staysail was a heavy unit, but keeping the luff tight was a problem when it really piped up. Without a stay it was bound to sag to leeward a long ways I would think.....

Here is a shot of race boat with 3 head sails mounted the way I was describing. They have synthetic luffs that are stronger than wire. These boats use them for their fwd. stays. No other wires (ropes) up fwd. I know it sounds crazy, but they do this with up to 5 sails/furlers on the bow. I would not imagine a cruising boat doing this, or needing to ever do this. But to place a staysail in like this is not anything that is not already being done by big boats , while pushing to the limits there gear circling the globe.

Here is the link for a bigger shot....whew!

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/fringe...9_groupama.jpg
Attached Images

Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 09:24   #26

hmmm... interesting.... I see furlers on there....so are you saying that they have a DYNEX stay inside the Furler extrusion? That would be different than a flying sail supported only by it's own luff......... or am I seeing it right?
Old 28-05-2009, 09:38   #27

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
I don't think there is a furler extrusion, the luff is all there is? Am I right?
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 09:51   #28

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Here is a shot of race boat with 3 head sails mounted the way I was describing. They have synthetic luffs that are stronger than wire. These boats use them for their fwd. stays. No other wires (ropes) up fwd. I know it sounds crazy, but they do this with up to 5 sails/furlers on the bow. I would not imagine a cruising boat doing this, or needing to ever do this. But to place a staysail in like this is not anything that is not already being done by big boats , while pushing to the limits there gear circling the globe.

Here is the link for a bigger shot....whew!

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/fringe...9_groupama.jpg
JM,
In the larger pic the forward sail looks like it has the Dynex sewn into the luff. The third sail back looks like it is using soft hanks around the Dynex. What's the trade-off here?

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, Panama Canal, Panama, Caribbean, Mexico