Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 13:08   #1

From Montreal to Azores . . and Back ?

What is the best route and time of year for this voyage.
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 14:01   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Generally May-June going east and Nov-Dec westbound with layover in Bahamas or USA until next spring to get back to Montreal. Routing is standard great circle- see Jimmy Cornell's Ocean Passages.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:28   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
You don't have to go direct from Nova Scottia if its too cold and rough. You can go a long way south and then turn left.

We got bounced in a small storm off Nova Scottia and the skipper wouldnt listen to me and put back in.... he never made it to the Azores. I, of course, got off rapido...

All we had to do was run south a few miles till it passed us. It was over within 12 hours and was only 35 knots anyway. What a waste of a dream!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:20   #4

Quote:
and Nov-Dec westbound
I don't think you can make it to Montreal in Nov/Dev. The St. Lawrence may be frozen solid.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 13:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
I don't think you can make it to Montreal in Nov/Dev. The St. Lawrence may be frozen solid.
Don't take things out of context! - My whole phrase was "Nov-Dec westbound with layover in Bahamas or USA until next spring to get back to Montreal."
Old 08-11-2010, 18:31   #6

but is it possible to leave montreal in october and return from azures in the spring?

I need to work summer time and see the kids
Old 08-11-2010, 18:33   #7

what I am looking for is a nice winter destination...
Old 09-11-2010, 06:53   #8

Quote:
Don't take things out of context!
Sorry, I stopped reading when I saw the dates you proposed. I fail to see the point of crossing the Atlantic from some island to wait for six months in some other island. Makes more sense to hang around there. Not that you propose anything that would cause harm, though.

Quote:
but is it possible to leave Montreal in October and return from Azores in the spring?
I looked at the pilot chart for May (an easy affair thanks to the OpenCPN crowd!) and the return looks doable. There seems to be a predominant F4 SW for most of the way. I don't know about leaving in Oct., you have a lot of river to climb and it's already cold, and well into the Atlantic storm season.
All this is theoretical, not based on experience.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:13   #9

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Why not Bermuda? Leave montreal late september (watching the weather closely of course) head to Nova Scotia till hurricane season is over, and head south.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:15   #10

Quote:
Sorry, I stopped reading when I saw the dates you proposed. I fail to see the point of crossing the Atlantic from some island to wait for six months in some other island. Makes more sense to hang around there. Not that you propose anything that would cause harm, though. . .
When you cruise the world on a sailboat you do so by the Seasons of the year, not by dates. Just like the early sailing ships plying the oceans, we still sail different oceans in different seasons of the year. North in the Summers and south in the Winters for the northern half of the world. Opposite for the southern half. The whole reason for the Pilot Charts is to give you an idea of what months are best, on average, for a particular region of the world's oceans.
- - If you want to do it any faster you buy an airline ticket. Otherwise you have to wait somewhere for the season to change. Sailboat cruising is life in the slow lane.
Old 09-11-2010, 15:46   #11

We are talking aboute my first voyage at sea, d'ont get me wrong I am going to embrase the cruising life...but not my first year I need to work next summer and see my kids to let them know and understand these changes I am making in my life.

They are young and have no clue about this 20+ year old sailing dream of mine, I want them to enjoy sailing with me next summer and learn to share this passion...The last thing I want is for them to feel left behinde.

Most peapoles I talk with seem to think that guys like me are running away from something, some even think I am depressive...but nothing is farther then the truth, iv lived the life I wanted to live when married and befor my motorcycle accident that left me cripled 7years I was earning $250.000 year and lived with wife very comfortably, after my last surgery 3 years ago I started walking again without the need for assistence, this has given me new wings and a thurst for life, not the materialist life iv been living but the life I always wanted.
my ex wife is a fantastic mother and a good realestate agent, the kids have all they need and I am present for them every day, going out to sea will be harder on me then on them for sure. This is why I want to start with a small voyage the first year.
wow cant belive I am sharing my life on a forum, guess you guys feel like family after a while
cheers
Old 09-11-2010, 16:04   #12

Quote:
We are talking aboute my first voyage at sea
Then perhaps something that does not involve an ocean crossing is more appropriate. I'm sure the St. Lawrence estuary has plenty of interesting places in the summer*. Or perhaps you could try a charter in a tropical place.

Personally, I'm glad you shared your struggles, we all have our own.
Good luck sailing next summer with your kids.

(*) And it should be warm enough for somebody that lives in Montreal
Old 09-11-2010, 16:17   #13

Quote:
Then perhaps something that does not involve an ocean crossing is more appropriate. I'm sure the St. Lawrence estuary has plenty of interesting places in the summer*. Or perhaps you could try a charter in a tropical place.

Personally, I'm glad you shared your struggles, we all have our own.
Good luck sailing next summer with your kids.

(*) And it should be warm enough for somebody that lives in Montreal
oh no staying is not an option...if iv learned something these past years is to go for it now not later. never know what tomorow will be.

I may have never sailed alone at sea...but I have spent 14h days offshore fishing cod in open chaloops when kid, iv seen the sea in all her glory more then once. my boat will seem like a hilton in comparaison.

cheers
Old 09-11-2010, 17:40   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Ok..... my thru'pence worth... take with or without salt...
I definitely do not recommend the Azores through the winter... its wet, windy and cold.... and a rough crossing to boot.
If your determined to go offshore to foriegn parts then head south along the ICW as far as Beaufort/Moorhead City... then shoot out and make a run for Bermuda.. 600 odd miles then hang a right and its a 1000 mile run down to St Martin or the BVI's... just as challenging and a damn sight warmer... and you've got lotsa cultures to choose from...
Also better for you to get back north on schedule....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:52   #15

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ok..... my thru'pence worth... take with or without salt...
I definitely do not recommend the Azores through the winter... its wet, windy and cold.... and a rough crossing to boot.
If your determined to go offshore to foriegn parts then head south along the ICW as far as Beaufort/Moorhead City... then shoot out and make a run for Bermuda.. 600 odd miles then hang a right and its a 1000 mile run down to St Martin or the BVI's... just as challenging and a damn sight warmer... and you've got lotsa cultures to choose from...
Also better for you to get back north on schedule....
+1
Boatman's got runs on the board. It's a good plan...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Azores